The North American Localization team sucks.

With the censorship of removed items, removed plot points, and general laziness with item descriptions, many translation errors and content that should have been in game by now such as Astracite exchange shops, the SEGA localization team has failed the North American Audience.

As many players have protested so far, and expressed anger about, the team needs to be replaced by someone who isn't some fat hamster from Tumblr looking to make everything politically correct with sheer laziness and disrespect for the game that many have played even before the North American launch. Please SEGA, fire your localization team and/or replace them with someone who can do a better job, who can show passion towards a great game that has had an unfortunate botched launch on the Windows store. If you continue to employ them, they WILL ruin the game inside and out in the coming future.

Censorship is wrong, and it'll ruin future endeavors that SEGA has in North America by keeping their game's foothold in an American audience. Future sales will be censored, and/or not included in the game. Things like PSO2es will be censored, and will potentially ruin your potential mobile userbase, which will also heavily impact your in-game sales as alot of sales in Japan are oriented towards the relationship of PSO2es and the main game.

You have the power to make this stop before it gets any worse, even yet, you can fix the wrong that has been commited so far by your lazy localization team. I do not care for those protecting or defending them for the damage they have caused for the game. I'm just putting this out there;

DO THE RIGHT THING, AND REPLACE THEM!

I guess you didnt read the post on this forum about that. There was a link to an interview where it was stated that Sega forced the team to rush the translation. If i got it right, they were even not payed well. So to call them lazy or fat hamsters is just not right.

@Scerms77 Was that the Polygon article linked a whike back? I was too tired to read it at the time, and failed to bookmark it. Sounds like I need to read it, as that would explain quite a bit.

Yeah, I never got to read that article, At this point , It really doesn't matter to me. It take a special person to under-appreciate the work that is being done right in front of them.

@DDDDLife Especially if the team were underfunded.

Customers don't care about how badly the localization team and developers are paid or treated. Customers only care about the game. Please don't act like children in favor of Epic Games propaganda where developers matter more than customers.

In my country, the customer is always right.

The problem is there, it exists, it must not be justified. It must be resolved.

Again, this has to do more with the TOS - allow me to explain:

So- Person X decided that he or she wanted to instal PSO2 and never read the TOS in its Entirety, therefore can Person X later have the right to propagate forum post as the one From the OP? Everyone is excited about what they are about to do without reading the fine print, I've done it multiple times, Only to go back and read it and then.... -Oh...mmkay. xD

@Emmerson-T-Kenny Im sorry, but what? Most of the time, developers are treated like garbage , because the publisher, and their investors, want their pay day. There's a difference between good customer service, and bad customer service, but at the same time, the customer doesn't have the right to be an as*hole, just because. Have you ever dealt with that type of situation on the other end? Because I can tell you it isn't fun.

While ignoring the rest of the censorship argument:

@Emmerson-T-Kenny said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

Customers don't care about how badly the localization team and developers are paid or treated. Customers only care about the game. Please don't act like children in favor of Epic Games propaganda where developers matter more than customers.

In my country, the customer is always right.

The problem is there, it exists, it must not be justified. It must be resolved.

Developers (the people actually making the changes and creating the game for PSO2 Global) should matter though. But let's be clear: The recent Epic Games hubbub isn't about the developers, it's about the company. If Epic Games manages to win that suit, the actual software devs will probably see little (if any) of the profits it spurs, as most of it will go to the executives. As a software dev myself at a fairly large company, I'm pretty familiar with how company growth vastly outpaces actual developer pay.

As far as I remember though, either the polygon article or some other source I've read stated that the western PSO2 reception was much larger than expected, so there should be extra funds available for the developers, if the company actually cares enough to pay them/pay for more new hires to improve the product (which in my view would mostly mean cleaning up weird translation issues). I guess it's always possible though that they're just running PSO2 Global on life support, and focusing their efforts on NGS while ignoring the rest.

The game/launch has had its hiccups along the way. (I don't count what small degree of censorship there has been to be a part of that)

Though to be honest, I'm just glad the game is in the West, I convinced myself long ago that the NA release of PSO2 was just a distant dream, (LITERALLY it was) after little to no word in the following years of the initial announcement ages ago things were not looking bright. ..How is this your problem? ..it's not.

Still... Whatever potential multiverse we've maybe come to where we had to wait nearly a decade for it... haha, it's good to be here roaming the Phantasy Star and talking/debating with all you fine people here at the end of the day.

@Anarchy-Marine said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

@Scerms77 Was that the Polygon article linked a whike back? I was too tired to read it at the time, and failed to bookmark it. Sounds like I need to read it, as that would explain quite a bit.

Yes, unfortunately i cant find it anymore to link here.

@Scerms77 said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

Was it this one? Posted 5 days ago, but I don't remember if it talks about your bit at all. https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2020/8/30/21406035/how-sega-took-eight-years-to-bring-phantasy-star-online-2-west

@Akonyl said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

@Scerms77 said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

Was it this one? Posted 5 days ago, but I don't remember if it talks about your bit at all. https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2020/8/30/21406035/how-sega-took-eight-years-to-bring-phantasy-star-online-2-west

No, if i recall and understood it right, it was an interview with someone from the translation team /company. It is possible that i got it wrong because english is not my main language.

@Emmerson-T-Kenny Im sorry, but what? Most of the time, developers are treated like garbage , because the publisher, and their investors, want their pay day. There's a difference between good customer service, and bad customer service, but at the same time, the customer doesn't have the right to be an as*hole, just because. Have you ever dealt with that type of situation on the other end? Because I can tell you it isn't fun.

If the customer is not satisfied, he has every right to complain and demand that the problem be solved, and if this cannot be done he can ask for a full refund. That's how it works in my country, and if in other countries the companies sell you garbage and the customers eat the shit without saying a word, well, I don't want to get involved. In this case the product was released in my country, so I complain and demand that the problems be resolved. I know it's cruel as behavior, but if you don't do that then you end up with the Chinese government, where people doesn't matter and everything is censored.

@Emmerson-T-Kenny said in The North American Localization team sucks.:

[...] and if in other countries the companies sell you garbage and the customers eat the shit without saying a word [...]

Oh 😰 I somewhat understand those feels, I lived in a place like that years ago 😢