ALL THE CONTENT

My biggest problem isn't that they removed the scenes, it's the fact they told no one about it and gave no stated reason as to why they removed it along with the fact that censorship is such a slippery slope (assuming it was because censorship in the first place). We've gotten so little transparency in regards of changes to the game outside of scratch tickets.

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed said in ALL THE CONTENT:

Why do such an obvious and easy solution when instead I can try and fight a company over it?

Because there have been signs of feedback being taken into account? Because defeatism never accomplished anything? Because people do care about the global servers? Plenty of other reasons too, like being invested in the global servers, having friends on the global servers who don't want to move to JP, etc.

@NIC said in ALL THE CONTENT:

@Archetype-Luna said in ALL THE CONTENT:

@NIC At the same time, there are also plenty of people who say that the scene is fine. If you look at videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI01Cg6IbL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eSACJ9dAzg

You find a lot of people being surprised that there is censorship in the game and are against it. Like I understand that Sega is afraid of the public outcry, but they really don't need to be. Plenty of other games and media go further than PSO2 does and do just fine.

I don't think that's really a fair argument. The videos are providing one side of an argument from a youtuber who probably has followers that think like they do. It's not an accurate sample size.

It's akin to the polls being run, which are easily exploited but also mostly represent the people wanting the changes reverted. Some of them are worded in a way to make reverting the censorship the "good" answer and the opposite the "bad". And on top of all of that, we have to take into consideration that the people posting in these threads and voting in the polls, and also those commenting on those videos, are a tiny percentage of the player base.

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed said in ALL THE CONTENT:

@Hakase said in ALL THE CONTENT:

I feel like the whole localization thing is botched as you have so many lewd outfits, but you can't have three bathing scenes with characters from the worst PSO2 episode. You didn't make a NT for Hebrew's Puncher or Illegal Negro, yet you renamed the Slave line of weapons when Slave was okay originally, especially when the Slave name for it fit well for what the original potential was, being a "slave" to your pp management over fear of clickbaiters and people exploiting civil rights for their own gain, especially if they only ERP or never played the game at all.

@Nerzarn said in ALL THE CONTENT:

-It's harder to make payments for premium features

PSO2 JP is probably the easiest East Asian game to top up for as a foreigner. Hook up PSO2es on an emulator or Android phone and just top up AC with any card since it is reliant on your Sega account for progress and functions as an extension for the main game. Getting a WebMoney or BitCash card is always annoying as taxes are applied from sites we can get them from.

Why do such an obvious and easy solution when instead I can try and fight a company over it?

QFT lol To be fair though, I totally get why it's not all that productive to tell people to essentially "go away" for expressing a desire for change in something made with them in mind. But the amount of anger and the amount of demands being made really makes it the easiest solution and it really is the most accessible. But because it's not exactly what they want, it's suddenly not an option at all.

@NIC At the same time, there are also plenty of people who say that the scene is fine. If you look at videos on the subject:

You find a lot of people being surprised that there is censorship in the game and are against it. Like I understand that Sega is afraid of the public outcry, but they really don't need to be. Plenty of other games and media go further than PSO2 does and do just fine.

I don't think that's really a fair argument. The videos are providing one side of an argument from a youtuber who probably has followers that think like they do. It's not an accurate sample size.

I think it is a fair argument against the idea that for every time there is a thread on removing the censorship that there someone yelling pedo. It shows how there is no conclusive evidence for one side being the majority. It's not about getting an accurate sample size, but to show that it isn't clear cut that most people would be for censorship.

However, I do feel that the argument of other games and media having more sexualization, but do just fine in the west, some actually becoming more popular due to any outcry, is a valid argument against the idea of public outcry actually hurting the game.

So if this threads getting hostile i'd recommend closing it but i'm sure the gm's know the appropriate time. I do think it needs a mega-thread but inciting should be shut down in it.

So I see two sides of the coin, going to JP to see it as intended or playing the censored west version.

Why playing the JP version is a bad argument:

-You have missed a large amount of scratches and cosmetics

-You are way behind on the monetary curve

-You need to understand JP speaking players

-Some of these players are probably established on the west and have to recover some months on JP

With the western release solving all of this, it's clear why people would rather play it. The players certainly have reason to voice their feedback as it's a game they care about and want to play as well as spend money on. Money is important to Sega. The other thing to note is the vocality on the forums isn't everyone for those making that assumption, players will have voted with their wallet and left already or chose to only play for free.

Of course the JP game has some risque content that may fall under some concerns in territories and that's fair. If we get an official statement saying that's why then that's that. But personally when you have auxiliaries you can outfit and show up on the field in the same way this already makes height a moot point, further pushed when games like Dragon Age exist with a dwarf race that has risque scenes. I think the public wants an answer to why is all.

• This is also true in NA if you started today, so it's not an issue.

• No you do not, Ship 2 is largely mostly EN players. People who don't know anything about the JP language have no issue playing the game with others. JP players are also really quiet and hardly talk to strangers, so it wouldn't be an issue even if we ignored what I said previously.

• If you have a phone, you can buy premium. You can use any credit card or google play balance, like all other things.

• It would take them approximately a day or so to catch up in JP to where they are in NA, thanks to the overwhelming amount of boosts and keys and ways JP powerlevels you to 75/80.

And no, people are just lazy. That's why they don't play JP, even though it requires the same amount of steps/work as installing the NA version, and you get an objectively better translated version with more content. Ironically, it was actually easier to get into JP and play then it was for NA when it first released.

The popularity of anime and manga in the US is more than enough of an accurate sample size especially when some of the most popular have this type of content in them.

@Aida-Enna I think the best argument for why people may not want to move over is due to having invested time and money into Global, as well as likely having friends who may not want to move over. So the idea of establishment is valid, though it is more due to having spent money or are socially established.

Though on the idea of having missed scratches or cosmetics, there may be some that people are waiting to come to Global that have already passed in JP. So it can be an issue depending on which cosmetics they want/

@Zenny There's also a lot of players on PSO2 who aren't fans of anime. Sure there's a lot of bleed over between PSO2 and the anime/manga community, but there's also just as many (if not more) from the MMO community. What really matters at the end of the day is the amount of players on PSO2 and not how many of them come from another community.

@ApollosAmour It becomes a question of whether or not anime/manga fans are a major part of the target demographic of PSO2. Honestly, not really possible to determine unless we do something like an in-game poll with incentives to participate.

@Aida-Enna said in ALL THE CONTENT:

So if this threads getting hostile i'd recommend closing it but i'm sure the gm's know the appropriate time. I do think it needs a mega-thread but inciting should be shut down in it.

So I see two sides of the coin, going to JP to see it as intended or playing the censored west version.

Why playing the JP version is a bad argument:

-You have missed a large amount of scratches and cosmetics

-You are way behind on the monetary curve

-You need to understand JP speaking players

-Some of these players are probably established on the west and have to recover some months on JP

With the western release solving all of this, it's clear why people would rather play it. The players certainly have reason to voice their feedback as it's a game they care about and want to play as well as spend money on. Money is important to Sega. The other thing to note is the vocality on the forums isn't everyone for those making that assumption, players will have voted with their wallet and left already or chose to only play for free.

Of course the JP game has some risque content that may fall under some concerns in territories and that's fair. If we get an official statement saying that's why then that's that. But personally when you have auxiliaries you can outfit and show up on the field in the same way this already makes height a moot point, further pushed when games like Dragon Age exist with a dwarf race that has risque scenes. I think the public wants an answer to why is all.

• No you do not, Ship 2 is largely mostly EN players. People who don't know anything about the JP language have no issue playing the game with others. JP players are also really quiet and hardly talk to strangers, so it wouldn't be an issue even if we ignored what I said previously.

• If you have a phone, you can buy premium. You can use any credit card or google play balance, like all other things.

• It would take them approximately a day or so to catch up in JP to where they are in NA, thanks to the overwhelming amount of boosts and keys and ways JP powerlevels you to 75/80.

And no, people are just lazy. That's why they don't play JP, even though it requires the same amount of steps/work as installing the NA version, and you get an objectively better translated version with more content. Ironically, it was actually easier to get into JP and play then it was for NA when it first released.

I can attest to all of what @Aida-Enna is saying here and I agree with @Archetype-Luna on the time investment point. I found when NA started it was really difficult to spend money in the game since I am a EU player which would forbid me from buying the stuff I want without using gift cards but I feel both JP and NA versions are great (It still feels weird to me to open Steam and see the game in my library). Thanks to @Aida-Enna Tweaker and English patch I have enjoyed this game for 5 years prior and I want everyone to feel the same any other person that did what I had to do but on the Global servers in the sense of logging in, making the perfect character, buying the cosmetics and stuff they need to be strong in the Phasion and fighting aspects of the game. on the point to power levelling I have lots of keys in JP and too lazy to use them rn xD

@ApollosAmour There's a huge portion of "weebs" that play this game. I would not be surprised if a large majority of people that played this game have at least watched anime before. I get your point and it would probably be true for other MMOs but likely not this one. Just look at the collaborations and their popularity.

@Zenny It's still not a very accurate way of telling what the player base wants when the player base can be asked as is. The game does have a clear anime slant, but it's also a new MMO and has attracted a variety of different players. Some communities that you wouldn't expect to see like furries are active players, even without being represented. Basically what I'm saying is that comments and polls won't mean anything unless they're targeting all players instead of being a part of niche circles like they have been thus far.

@ApollosAmour You can make a furry in this game with all the cosmetics available with even more coming in the future. They kinda are catered to in some form while not at large. Lots of furries are also anime fans. I'm actually not surprised at all furries are playing this game. They are present in almost all eastern MMOs I've played and have a fairly big community.

You are right, it's not the most accurate. However it really comes down to experience. Over the past decade the overall community for eastern MMOs hasn't really changed. There's always been a clear majority and you see this based on infographics and data which showcase popularity of something. This is especially clear for any of the games that have a visual style that is close to anime. If something that would seem "controversial" to some is popular then you know the larger majority wouldn't have an issue with it. While we have no current data on PSO2. I just raise the question. Why would a game that is basically every anime/manga fan's wet dream be any different?

@Zenny You can make cat girls or wear costumes, but I mean more like the WoW furries or the Hrothgar mains in XIV. People that are into anthro primarily. They're always on top of anything that offers a beastman, but PSO2 doesn't and they're still playing. In a way, I think part of the reason these threads garner so much attention is because there are many of us playing the game who aren't used to "weebs" in this capacity and it's a bit of a shock to see how comfortable they are with certain topics.

I get what you're saying. It's not a bad conclusion, but it's unfortunately as flimsy as any of mine or anyone elses' until we have solid evidence to rest on.