Ep4 Substory Duel

@Ash-Lv1

2.9m on phaleg is just a little more than 2.9m on rockbear...

Defense is based on level.

• @ lvl 20 mobs have 100 defense
  • @ lvl 80 mobs have 315 defense

And in case you think that's big... That's a difference of 43 damage before multipliers. (AKA, you won't even notice a difference).

@Macmaxi said in Ep4 Substory Duel:

It's the first actual difficult fight in this game, and it's good because it's optional. It makes even sense story-wise that she's supposed to beat your ass.

10/10 can't wait to get stepped on by Phaleg again

Couldn't have said it better. Hell I just learned one of her attacks is dodgable simply by walking straight at her.

"Oh, you're approaching me?"

I actually love this fight because it makes you actually have to learn the enemy. Up until now we've been pretty much carried by the Ep5 gear we were given. It's super hard, yeah, but it's not impossible to S-Rank currently... Tanky hunterness won't save you tho. :<

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6TThp2yHOQ

I managed an S-Rank yesterday. Frustrating but great fun all the same.

im a squishy techer

@Stephie said in Ep4 Substory Duel:

I actually love this fight because it makes you actually have to learn the enemy. Up until now we've been pretty much carried by the Ep5 gear we were given. It's super hard, yeah, but it's not impossible to S-Rank currently... Tanky hunterness won't save you tho. :<

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6TThp2yHOQ

I managed an S-Rank yesterday. Frustrating but great fun all the same.

I agree. As many times as I've lost without a single win, I still see it's not impossible. I felt it's one of those things that just punishes you for missing dodges and patterns so I don't see a problem in the boss itself, but in my failure to get things right. Yes, it can get fast at times and the timer forces you to not go into the defensive for long. But with effort and time to learn, those who are not quick at reaction can try to memorize the boss patterns or watching any cues and tells the boss may give to prepare to move. The only other issue I may see is my lack of DPS, but for that there's good enough gear out there i sould have been farming, but my laziness prevented me from that. I'll get something, eventually.

I think my issue with the fight is that its poorly balanced depending on your class / setup. I finally beat it as Summoner / Fighter but I cant fathom how like... tech / force would possibly be able to do this fight. Even if you time your dodges on those classes and use the 'shortened dodge ring'; she attacks with such frequency in phase 2 that ~7 minutes wouldnt be long enough to actually take her down even if you didnt make any mistakes.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

@TuraelFA Hey mate just do what I did since it's probably the easiest way to fight her. Go HU/FI with Sword and Just guard sonic arrow ring equipped, make sure you got all guard and charge guard in skill tree then use nova strike/rising edge and you're good to go.

You don't gotta block if you're not comfortable blocking just charge your PA and it'll auto parry her attacks for you but I do recommend blocking to get extra damage from sonic arrow Just guard.

Edit: I am an HU main from JP so maybe that made it easier since I beat her on JP too, nonetheless once you see her atk patterns you'll be set.

@all thx for all the advice and hints

For those that beat her, how many more story scenes appear after you beat her, 1, 2, or more?

I just completed it as SU/FI with Jinga, Shifta ZX (L/PP Economization), 5% alliance attack buff and without using alter ego. Although I did hit her for 50k+/hit (break) +15-20k/tick (pulsar), it took me around 5 mins (4 on phase 2 alone) just for the time wasted dodging and healing the pet as it would have died in 2 hits.

It's doable and don't get discouraged if you fail a lot, but for merely 20 SG and "Fiend Conquering Palading" Title it's not worth the effort and frustration, so take it easy.

alt text

@Guilrel There's only the cutscene from beating her, nothing else. This is an optional fight after all, it's not a part of the main story.

@Ezodagrom
*disappointed sigh, Okay, I know I have my main class be tied to the story so I didn't wanted to level up pass because I wanted the story to give me the experience I need. I'm level 78 and I was planning on making her or the new solo Profound Darkness to be the one to make me level 80 (meaning when I have less than 500,000 exp left to 80, I'll avoid using the class until one of them makes me that way), now that the story is over and I can play with this class normally. But since that is what will happen, I think I'll do the same thing but will totally be okay with using boosters until then.

I'm a summoner main but managed to beat her on BrHu with Katana Only (including the resists) and light element weapon instead of ice in 3:07. And I probably missed like half my Perfect Attacks lol, also no attack boost foods used (or even jerky for that matter)

All it takes is practice. With better play I could absolutely get it under 3 minutes with Katana only... even with her getting resistance to katana.

@Raes said in Ep4 Substory Duel:

I think my issue with the fight is that its poorly balanced depending on your class / setup. I finally beat it as Summoner / Fighter but I cant fathom how like... tech / force would possibly be able to do this fight. Even if you time your dodges on those classes and use the 'shortened dodge ring'; she attacks with such frequency in phase 2 that ~7 minutes wouldnt be long enough to actually take her down even if you didnt make any mistakes.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

I actually got S-Rank today on FoTe with my shitty gear (2:39), it's not too hard once you learn how to dodge her with simple movement and the defence techniques ring. My trees are also full hybrid, so no extra attack from TEC Up or Photon Flare.

Generally, double jumping and moving to the side with aerial cast movement is enough to dodge the majority of attacks, meaning you can keep on the offense while still doing damage, and timing your tech charges does the same thing.

I didn't record the run, but I could do another one if you'd like to see it, but there's probably a video on YouTube already.

As for Techter, the strategy is the same as Force, you just play TeFo which is the best setup for this fight.

Edit: Here's the FoTe run at 2:17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOa-3B8rrEE

I'm in the "this is stupid because it's the episode 6 version" of the quest club.

Also, a Ranger main. Even abusing the jumping dodge ring and slideburst combo, I don't think it's actually possible to win this battle in spite of doing constant damage for 7 minutes straight.