If you could, what would you add to NGS?

@zaffy2005 said in If you could, what would you add to NGS?:

For real is there some unwritten rule among devs of this type of game which states the higher "level" the weapon the more absolutely ridiculous it has to look?

The answer seems to be that some people are willing to pay even real money to get as much of a light show on themselves as they can. Like in guild wars 2, some people try their very best to replace the sun with all the infusions and other ridiculously glowy stuff they can stack on their character, since the armors work the same way the weapons always do. You know, wear armor that glows like a christmas tree with infusions to blinks like christmas tree decorations to show the enemies were a "sneaky" thief is hiding and then hit the enemies with a weapon that glows like thousand suns and throws, yes, glowy orbs that exlope like nukes to blind the player using them and the entire map besides. I admit this is slightly over the top, but i'm sure everyone gets the idea. I don't know why, but i can't come up with any other reason since it seems to be a staple of all MMOs and games that have any kind of multiplayer.

@Yggranya Not just multiplayer or MMOs, but even "older" RPG games like Skyrim, the higher level gear was ridiculously "flashy/ornate." And then going back a few years more to the Final Fantasy games, looking at the "Ultima" and the other "top tier" weapons for each character in FF9 for example, they were ridiculously gaudy and overblown. It's like there's no thought of "streamlined design" being an indication of improvement. The "stronger" the weapon is, the more pointless ornamentations and protrusions need to be tacked onto it. Like the Trailblazer weapons and units in PSO2, and the various "stages" of weapons leading up to them. They're ridiculous. It seems like somewhere in the 10-12 star range is where the weapon designs are the best in overall appearance with a few exceptions in the lower tiers (like the 7-star Yasimov AR, or the Gunblade Zero) and just about everything 13-star and up is just....ridiculous.

It's the main reason why I like the weapon camo system so much and wish the weapon transmutation process wasn't so freakin' expensive (material-wise at least, needing 150 aux passes to create one transmutation pass and no reliable way to farm them in quantity). So I am definitely all for having a simple "directory" of weapon appearances and being able to essentially apply our best available stat set to the "form" we want to use.

@Weirdo Then our character gets stuck in some spacetime limbo? becuase it's also clear our characters will transfer over.

So, its clear that 1000 years later wont matter for anyone who could possibly also fall into the same time warp.

Also, CASTs dont live that long. not normal ones. a Hi CAST could possibly, by uploading into a computer core in a secure location, in fact anyone could do that, but after would have to live as a CAST, or have their body preserved in stasis for them.

A lot of weapons in this game border on gaudy but it just follows the basic formula of MMO’s, shiny god looking weapons are for high lvl players, if you want a basic sword you get a low lvl junk sword. 😞 At least we have camos but certainly not enough variety for everyone.

I’m also guilty of swooning over light up Christmas tree looking weapons, when legendaries first came out in GW2 I had to have Bifrost. It’s a staff that shoots rainbows and it lights up even put away, it’s pretty obnoxious but my magpie eyes go “oh shiny!” I never got the armor, though.

There is one good thing about NGS being somehow a whole millennia into the future. its a golden oppurtunity to completely forget any of Episode 4 ever happened and never ever bring that garbage up again.

@Milk My all time favourite weapon skin in GW2 is "revenge", an axe skin. Sure, it isn't any more realistic as a weapon than the glowy weapons, but it's fun for me. A bent, dented meat cleaver is lovely, and i wish there were more weapons/armor that look like they have seen some use. You know, something that doesn't look special, but is, since it has survived with your character through a thousand battles.

@Yggranya said in If you could, what would you add to NGS?:

@Milk My all time favourite weapon skin in GW2 is "revenge", an axe skin. Sure, it isn't any more realistic as a weapon than the glowy weapons, but it's fun for me. A bent, dented meat cleaver is lovely, and i wish there were more weapons/armor that look like they have seen some use. You know, something that doesn't look special, but is, since it has survived with your character through a thousand battles.

My husband feels the same way! He likes swords and armor thst look scuffed at least, like they’ve actually seen battle.

Me though I’m one of those gaudy players...I really want Dreamkeeper bow and I think it’s called Dawn? The legendary greatsword that looks like a sunset. I don’t think I have it in me to get another legendary, though. That was so much work.

@Milk That is one sort of "complaint" I have about PSO2. Everything looks way too....pristine. Aside from that one set of weapon camos that looks like it was pulled out of a torture dungeon. Kinda wish there was more stuff in the game like that, and I'd like to see that in NGS as well.

@Milk But i doubt he would enjoy a meat cleaver, as the other reason i'm fond of it is the implication of what i could use it for after the enemy is dead. Heh.

Since the legendaries have been turned up to eleven on the glowy scale, it just too much for me. Like all the Caladbolg skins are close, but since it doesn't explode in colors when you pull it out and doesn't have all those extra effect when swinging it or just wielding it, it isn't too bad. Which is to say, a little glow might not be too bad as long as they avoid taking it to ludicrous levels. Just enough to show that it has power is fine. But then again, it's not godlike if it doesn't blind us, as i'm sure the human gods agree.

@zaffy2005 Well we use PHOTON SHINE dry cleaners!

In all seriousness maybe dirt and scuffs could be a texture option for NGS armors. you'd have the model and then choose color, dirt, scuff, or if its clean.

@Yggranya said in If you could, what would you add to NGS?:

@Milk But i doubt he would enjoy a meat cleaver, as the other reason i'm fond of it is the implication of what i could use it for after the enemy is dead. Heh.

Since the legendaries have been turned up to eleven on the glowy scale, it just too much for me. Like all the Caladbolg skins are close, but since it doesn't explode in colors when you pull it out and doesn't have all those extra effect when swinging it or just wielding it, it isn't too bad. Which is to say, a little glow might not be too bad as long as they avoid taking it to ludicrous levels. Just enough to show that it has power is fine. But then again, it's not godlike if it doesn't blind us, as i'm sure the human gods agree.

Ohhh believe me, he would. He has a barbarian character alt that he prefers to use a big bloody axe. There’s just not enough of that in games! On the plus side the non-glowy weapons usually cost less unless it’s the Mad King weapons from GW2’s first Halloween event, I’m atill kicking myself I didn’t get that grim reaper scythe when it was affordable, now it costs more than my legendary and so does the bloody chainsaw...

@zaffy2005

I’d like the option for that, too. I’d love a beat up armor option, in Vindictus if you get really beat up your armor looks broken and it’s amazing, I want something like that for weapons, or at least a slider for how beat up you want it to look cosmetically.

For Pso2 weapons since its a very sci fi setting, I like either simple designs maybe with a few "holo" effects, like Divine Blade Q something which gives holo wings sometimes and has a mostly simplistic design, and good sheathe position, or something techy like the Rivialte Katana.

I really hope NGS does away with weapon camos and instead just has every weapon model we bind to account unlock to be used as a new appearance for that kind of weapon. it would be, in every possible way, far superior.

I wonder if GV items were the precursor to the NGS mesh items?

Would be neat if we can start exchanging Mission Badges for at least the GV items, if not a few exclusive NGS newbie variants.

Make sure every previous class makes it into NGS

Create Successor classes for remaining weapon types

At minimum, a seasonal release of new photon arts and techniques to keep the game fresh (something akin to PoE)