Disclose WHY the height limit was put in place

C'mon SEGA, stop this joke, and give us the game we deserve.

@Silvalance I mean there's a lot of reasons as to why a game may be censored. Most of the time it's just part of westernizing the product for a larger audience.

The data doesn't lie for games that are ported from Asia and anime in general. It shows that people prefer games and anime in their original forms. There's been very few times where censorship has been acceptable and has made sense. I'm pretty sure despite all this most companies just think it's a safer bet to stick with censoring anything that may be deemed as controversial to avoid any problems.

We wont know till they give us a reason, if ever.

@Silvalance said in Disclose WHY the height limit was put in place:

Literally videogames in 2020, and probably 2021 too if we don't stop this bul**hit.

EevyDjfXkAABPY-.jpg EevyCzaWsAQA3LH.jpg EevkEXpWkAAuVdx.jpg

Hahaha PSO2 forum in a nutshell, because yeah, they claim that the game must be changed according to their tastes. All the others have to adapt. Usually the most common answer in this case is: "Go play the JP version!"

@Zenny said in Disclose WHY the height limit was put in place:

@Silvalance I mean these same people have existed since early 2000s. Internet growth has just made it seem like there's more. These people are a tiny minority when compared to people who either don't care or actually prefer things uncensored.

I've played eastern MMOs for years and it's always the same shit when the MMO in question has a small character or race. You have the incredibly ignorant people who come out of the wood work and try to paint the picture that people who play these characters are problematic or disgusting. It just goes to show how disgustingly rude and downright disrespectful a lot of Americans are. A lot (not all) have very little respect for other cultures.

It's always funny because by accusing the people who play these characters as problematic or pedophiles they don't realize they are pretty much insulting the artists/creators indirectly. Absolutely disgusting human beings and a disgusting mentality to have.

true and agreed

Lets not trail to far off peeps

@Kurumi-Tokisaki said in Disclose WHY the height limit was put in place:

The people who the restrictions are put in for aren't even the intended audience! [...]

Nobody demanded the change though. It's something Sega did on their own accord.

It's a little too dramatic to say the entire character creator is ruined because the height slider is raised 10 points.

@Silvalance I mean these same people have existed since early 2000s. Internet growth has just made it seem like there's more. These people are a tiny minority when compared to people who either don't care or actually prefer things uncensored. [...]

You might have a better argument here if people weren't openly saying they like loli and shota and projecting themselves into the topic. It's not as simple as someone expressing "I wanna play a dwarf" and someone else going "OK pedo".

To be honest, I think it's more insulting to the creators to tell them that their own creative decisions for a version of the game are meaningless because they disapprove of them, which I've seen a lot. I definitely respect those that say they understand the changes but disagree with them more.

@Emmerson-T-Kenny said in Disclose WHY the height limit was put in place:

Hahaha PSO2 forum in a nutshell, because yeah, they claim that the game must be changed according to their tastes. All the others have to adapt. Usually the most common answer in this case is: "Go play the JP version!"

As I've said above, the changes were put in place without anyone asking for them. There's just those that agree with those changes and would like to keep them or are totally neutral one way or the other. As for the suggestion to play on JP, if the changes affect your experience that much, why not play the version that's totally translated with an established Western community that has "all of the content"? I don't think it's a bad suggestion. It's the equivalent of watching the dub vs. the sub.

@XenoBladeX37645 Understood. Just felt like responding.

This game isn't targeted to me at all, and I respect that, but they kind of took out a portion of my reason for playing. I'm a bit too invested now though, and really hoping we get a compromise for my long term enjoyment.

I do agree that we should still respect Sega, while I disagree with what they did, I think losing respect for them will make communication more difficult. If communication is difficult we will never know WHY they changed the height slider, and therefore will not even setup the communication channels needed to solve actual difficult problems.

@Silvalance said in Disclose WHY the height limit was put in place:

@Zenny Minority? But according to SEGA and other companies, they are the vast majority! Otherwise why the censorship? XD

Because they figured the fandom wouldn't mind while also avoiding those types of people making it an issue. But just ended up backfiring in the wrong direction- those types hardly exist for a game like this and the ones that have come out have only been called out by the fans who brought up the issue of cut content in the product. An uncensored product at launch would have raised no concerns no matter what your stance is... But.. miscalculations were made.

@MoldyAsp33874 Trust me, there would have been concerns. Just maybe not in the same way.

I think we should be focusing more on getting Sega to tell us what concerns put this height change in place, instead of worrying about the community. Sega's expectation of community reaction is probably more important to getting actual action done.

Just passing by but, kudos to you @Moei for not letting these threads devolve like all the other threads regarding the same matter. 🙂

@ApollosAmour said in Disclose WHY the height limit was put in place:

To be honest, I think it's more insulting to the creators to tell them that their own creative decisions for a version of the game are meaningless because they disapprove of them, which I've seen a lot. I definitely respect those that say they understand the changes but disagree with them more.

I believe that there is a noteworthy difference between the creative team wanting to make a creative change, assuming a change is needed to appeal to a different market, and executives forcing a not legally required change. The latter is more akin to network medling in a TV property. In such a case, I feel the implementation of the change has artistic intergrety, but not the descion to make it. Hence the need for transparency on the subject

As for the suggestion to play on JP, if the changes affect your experience that much, why not play the version that's totally translated with an established Western community that has "all of the content"? I don't think it's a bad suggestion. It's the equivalent of watching the dub vs. the sub.

There is no official "sub," so I feel it is closer to dub vs. raw + fan subtitle rather than an official seperate sub and dub versions with content alteration.

As such, I would take an officialy translated NA client for JP servers. Although "play on a different server" is remincient of the hypothetical toggle default question, as in who has to put in the effort to get a non defaul experience. Should those that want all the content have to move to "uncut" server, or those wanting a filtered experince to a "modest" server. Neither strikes me as fair, especially if characters do not transfer and there is no official uncut/sub NA service.

@ApollosAmour I don't automatically assume people who use the word loli are into lolicon. Most people who use the word loli use it to describe a small girl. It's basically the same as them saying they want to make a small female character. Obviously by definition loli and lolicon mean more than that. It's just one of those words that gets used but it's probably something they shouldn't use. Regardless there's been barely anyone that has said that here and the people who did were offended when they got called a pedo. They obviously don't see themselves as one.

These creative decisions regarding censorship have always been forced into games. People would respect them a lot more if they actually made sense with the current game rating and was within reason. It's just one of those things people got that nobody asked for. I strongly disagree that it's insulting especially when it is purely related to censorship.

Do you really think most of these companies/creators want to go the extra mile just to censor everything for each particular version of the game? I'm sure they'd prefer it if they could just bring the game over as it was originally intended.

@ApollosAmour I don't automatically assume people who use the word loli are into lolicon. Most people who use the word loli use it to describe a small girl. It's basically the same as them saying they want to make a small female character. Obviously by definition loli and lolicon mean more than that. It's just one of those words that gets used but it's probably something they shouldn't use. Regardless there's been barely anyone that has said that here and the people who did were offended when they got called a pedo. They obviously don't see themselves as one.

These creative decisions regarding censorship have always been forced into games. People would respect them a lot more if they actually made sense with the current game rating and was within reason. It's just one of those things people got that nobody asked for. I strongly disagree that it's insulting especially when it is purely related to censorship.

Do you really think most of these companies/creators want to go the extra mile just to censor everything for each particular version of the game? I'm sure they'd prefer it if they could just bring the game over as it was originally intended.

It's westerners who don't understand. Loli is just a general term for a little girl character, that's also what you can call an annoying little girl you don't like much, basically same application as chibi or shrimp. There is nothing harmful with the word loli AT ALL, and if you take offense then go protest to change the dictionary.

@MoldyAsp33874 Trust me, there would have been concerns. Just maybe not in the same way.

Like what kind? Literally imagine the kinds of people who do this thing because they must have nothing better to do- the types that get called "SJWs" and what-not.

-Okay. 8 year old game... From Japan... Very clearly wearing it's inspirations on it's shoulders. Catering it's fans- those who like anime and are not uncomfortable with a bit of skin and some risque dances. The absolute last game I would ever care about... and M rated so I can't even use the thinkofthechildrenargument-

Yes. This is the one. This is the game I choose to fight.... Characters need to be a few inches taller- let's start the boycott!...

Yeah- it wouldn't be that kind of backlash at all. Do you mean something else?