All the crying about censoring those scenes is going to hurt the game

@Blade-Syphon Haurchefant wasn't reworked.

His lines were changed slightly in the english, german, france versions but are still intact in the japanese version.

Also sure, Tales of Berseria censored a child murder scene, meanwhile Legend of Heroes has Rean schwarzer busting in to a bath filled with ladies wearing the SAME TOWEL AS HITSUGI, KOHRI AND ARU.

Oh and him getting boobs in his face, ass and all the stuff.

Yet that's not censored at all.

There's arguing wtih examples and then just inconsistent stupidity.

@Archetype-Luna I'm pretty sure neither of those games have released official story lines and game related content that portray sexual acts(even jokingly) done by their child-representing characters... Giving them skimpy clothes, sure, but making them participate in a bath scene where they're groped... is quite much, no? Anime is still mostly Japanese stories written by Japanese people. People who enjoy these anime troupes and sexualiztions have to go to anime to watch it, not a western cartoon. Most people who play PSO2 are comfortable with that, so of course they wouldn't have an issue. But you can't expect every person to be comfortable with sexualizing children just because it's not real. It is clear that the western audience has a problem, or this thread wouldn't exist. Even if it happened in other games, there would be the same backlash. Especially with a game launching "globally" it's not just America that would have this problem. The censoring is harmless. The scene does not change anyone's gameplay.

But now we all have these people trying to defend a sexual scene involving children by adults who shouldn't have such desires.

@SleeprunnerInc said in All the crying about censoring those scenes is going to hurt the game:

@IAMCRAIG-0 said in All the crying about censoring those scenes is going to hurt the game:

@SleeprunnerInc said in All the crying about censoring those scenes is going to hurt the game:

Doesn't help that your mindset seems to be: I am right, you are not, screw if I am proven false.

The fact that you are so insistent on there being nothing problematic about a bath scene with two teenagers and a 12 year old with a boob grab gag certainly does you no favours in regards to this. It also is incredibly worrying to see you have this opinion when you have stated in a previous thread that you work with children.

Also I literally cited sources for my shit and all of you that were for it start pulling mental gymnastics that looked like a man stumbling over themselves trying to climb a waist-high fence before swapping to making passive aggressive insults at me for an entire page, despite earlier having cried for 'civility' in the thread.

There is nothing inherently wrong in that cutscene.

All of the characters are closely aged so it was a silly scene with a bunch of kids having a funny moment.

It's a basic gag in cartoons and anime.

What's so wrong with seeing a funny joke scene that we have all seen in movies, cartoons and comics?

@Lemon-Sama said in All the crying about censoring those scenes is going to hurt the game:

If these characters were brutally murdered in the next scene, nobody would care, aside from the glaring plot hole. An obviously comedic scene with an embarrassing moment suddenly has the morality police in full Karen mode. These are fictional characters in a fictional space being used in a Mature rated game. There is no crime happening here, these characters aren't real people, at any moment they could just as easily vanish or die.

TIL: Animated pedophilia and incest is hilarious.

If you consider that paedophilia, you're the one with the problem.

I personally experienced my share of things in these forums as someone who opposes the height censor but also opposes sexualization in general non adult oriented gaming. The issue about censoring will rile up a bunch of people (in the same sense characters like Uzaki riled up advocates against child abuse), and it doesn't matter if those posting in favor or against are actual offenders or proponents of free expression. So yes, so long as these things continue, some people raise to it, and some will raise to protect the censors for other reasons. I see valid and wrong points on both sides, after all.

@Ephemiel If the game tanks because of it, so be it. It's the choice of the masses to boycott it and the company who couldn't take the heat for it or make the appropriate fixes to please the paying ones. Plenty of other games to play and activities to do. Nothing in this world lasts forever, and things will die at the same exact time they were fated to do so, albeit none of us know that hour.

I've learned to post my opinions and making myself heard, but also learned to live and let die. By now, I wouldn't be surprised if the GM team decides to ban any further talks about censoring. It would at least get both sides out of these forums. But there are many places out there where the discussions and bickering and insult flinging can continue. So in the end, it would all be for naught as people have been enabled to post their opinions and be heard by a wide audience, truth and honesty be damned...

Please refrain from insulting each other. It is not conducive to the discussion. Thank you.

@Blade-Syphon Haurchefant wasn't reworked.

His lines were changed slightly in the english, german, france versions but are still intact in the japanese version.

My point -

Your Head -

His dialogue, and even movements, were heavily changed in the US version to significantly tone down the ineuendo he had in the japanese version. You LITERALLY posted that yourself - his lines were changed in the localized versions, but remained the same in the Japanese version. That's litearlly the textbook definition of localization.

Also sure, Tales of Berseria censored a child murder scene, meanwhile Legend of Heroes has Rean schwarzer busting in to a bath filled with ladies wearing the SAME TOWEL AS HITSUGI, KOHRI AND ARU.

There's a large difference between Rean and Hitsugi and Kohri - I'll let you in on a little secret here: One of them isn't under aged, and the others are... I wonder why one scene was kept, while the other wasn't.

There's arguing wtih examples and then just inconsistent stupidity.

And yet you still managed to completely avoid my point that Blizzard themselves changed dialogue in their own game to remove a word that is now considered controversial in today's modern age. But hey, the only thing that matters when it comes to localization is perverted crap, right? My point is - at the end of the day, localization, and yes, even censorship, is at the developer's discretion. If they don't feel something is appropriate for the audience they're targeting, they're going to remove it.

In his case, Sega deemed a cutscene that offered little to the story other than anime boobies wasn't vital enough to keep around, and axed it. And nothing of value was lost from it.

@Cikia I don't see the scene as sexual; if it was, then I guess elder siblings or parents bathing their younger siblings/children is sexual as well? This thread exists because people had an issue with the censorship; the video in the OP contains comments where people are complaining about the censorship. Furthermore, I disagree that this doesn't affect gameplay. This scene sets a precedent for additional censorship and there are two future scenes that add a decent amount character development that will likely be removed because they are also bath scenes and reference the removed cutscene. Kohri's outfit as a disciple sexualizes her far more than the bathscene.

Furthermore, there are games like Senran Kagura that go by in multiple regions across the world without being censored in anyway (except on Sony platforms). A lot of the comments in the Censored Gaming video are of people learning of the censorship for the first time, and they are responding negatively to the censorship in the game. I would say that's the opposite of western audiences having a problem with the censored content and more western audiences having a problem with content being censored.

Also, you mention anime being mostly Japanese stories, written by Japanese people. PSO2's story is a Japanese story written by Japanese people. It may be a different medium than anime, but it is still media coming from Japan that is being distributed in the west, just like anime.

@Archetype-Luna But they're not siblings... All 3 of them have no blood relation and the fact that Kohri reacted in a lewd way when touched is what makes it even more cringe as if she liked being touched by a child. If a mother reacted that way while being touched by their child, that's even more disturbing, so I don't get the comparison here.

And yes, it's a Japanese game with a Japanese story written by Japanese people, funded by a Japanese company that has a HUGE presence in other countries outside of Japan that I do not blame them for censoring some things that may be unacceptable outside of Japan. This is no different than a company protecting themselves ahead of time from controversial subjects. Stuff like "why is there no diversity?" "why are classes gender locked?" aren't even as big of problem as "why is there a naked child touching boobs?"

I still don't get why people think it's okay on a global scale lol.

@Cikia said in All the crying about censoring those scenes is going to hurt the game:

I'm pretty sure neither of those games have released official story lines and game related content that portray sexual acts(even jokingly) done by their child-representing characters... Giving them skimpy clothes, sure, but making them participate in a bath scene where they're groped... is quite much, no? Anime is still mostly Japanese stories written by Japanese people. People who enjoy these anime troupes and sexualiztions have to go to anime to watch it, not a western cartoon. Most people who play PSO2 are comfortable with that, so of course they wouldn't have an issue. But you can't expect every person to be comfortable with sexualizing children just because it's not real. It is clear that the western audience has a problem, or this thread wouldn't exist. Even if it happened in other games, there would be the same backlash. Especially with a game launching "globally" it's not just America that would have this problem. The censoring is harmless. The scene does not change anyone's gameplay.

But now we all have these people trying to defend a sexual scene involving children by adults who shouldn't have such desires.

I believe one of the bigger shocks some people have about this game (me included), even after seeing countless anime, is the upwards trend in lewdness added. Yes, past games had a bit of it. While PSO didn't have much if anything on the matter, PSPortable 2 had the Tonnio-Liina -ship that ended in pregnancy. And while that shocked me, absolutely nothing lewd was shown nor mentioned up front (I still saw the skit as shocking and not needed). But here we have PSO2 with it's openly lewd dances, much skimpier outfits and polarizing bath scenes, something this series never brought to the West in such a way before.

Sega knew this game was going to attract nostalgia fans (Sega is one of the biggest video game nostalgia machines right now), and to TRY and keep things in some sort of check, they decided to cut some content and restrict some other. I still feel what was cut and what was allowed was wrong in my opinion. But it's what currently sells in a more adult sexualized Western media world where many young adults chant "Freedom of sex" or whatever, and a new generation of gamers who didn't live PSO or the older games as they got released. But this is still a world that seems to protect minors, at least on the outside shell of things. And for that, we get the censors we have at the moment.

@Blade-Syphon said in All the crying about censoring those scenes is going to hurt the game:

My point is - at the end of the day, localization, and yes, even censorship, is at the developer's discretion. If they don't feel something is appropriate for the audience they're targeting, they're going to remove it.

In his case, Sega deemed a cutscene that offered little to the story other than anime boobies wasn't vital enough to keep around, and axed it. And nothing of value was lost from it.

100%. This is what I posted in the other thread. If Sega makes these decisions (and it appears the same team on JP is the one doing it), then they're changes intended by the creators.

@ZorokiHanuke Yes, the game is getting more lewd and that's fine since they've marked it Mature. I think it's even more of a reason to censor things involving kids though, if the game was going to be like this. I'm sure the stuff people have drawn or written about Aru, Hitsugi, and Kohri are already very rated R. Sega doesn't have to encourage that if they have a choice for global release.

@Cikia Honestly, get used to the bath argument.

The scene gets compared to siblings bathing together or parents bathing their children irl, and when you talk about how it's inappropriate or fetishy, then it's a fantasy scene so it's OK. lol The goal posts change every few posts with these arguments.

@ApollosAmour How is it not inappropriate when a teenage girl enjoys being groped by a kid?