Is there something i'm missing with pvp ?

Or is it just a absolute lagfest devoid of anything skill related ?

It is pretty awful... You got C rank people playing with Legend rank people, RNG weapon pick ups, desync everywhere.

But I'm sure someone will be in here in a moment to tell us how truly wrong we are.

No, y-*redacted *.

SOrry, I can't say it otherwise I'll either get banned or a ban warning again.

@Reilet said in Is there something i'm missing with pvp ?:

No, y-*redacted *.

SOrry, I can't say it otherwise I'll either get banned or a ban warning again.

I think i can fill out the blank which you wouldn't be entirely wrong about. However after playing a few more rounds yesterday i can pretty much say PVP in this game is absolutely horrendous. Very little space for personal skill expression apart from positioning. Even with having many kills or being MVP on the star collection it still feels awful.

That said i will most likely be playing it allot since i do like the outfits and to grind them all is going to be absolutely miserable. Oh well once i have them i will never ever touch this thrash part of the game again. Which i personally find a shame since i have been a fanatic PVP player for over decades.

No there's absolutely personal skill involved, if it was purely random then everyone would be in Legend eventually just due to the fact that you only need a 50% win/loss to get there. Knowing all of the weapons on a stage, how to use them, and how to fight against them are all big things that you need to learn if you want to do well.

@Saagonsa said in Is there something i'm missing with pvp ?:

No there's absolutely personal skill involved, if it was purely random then everyone would be in Legend eventually just due to the fact that you only need a 50% win/loss to get there. Knowing all of the weapons on a stage, how to use them, and how to fight against them are all big things that you need to learn if you want to do well.

That's why i said very little. I mean learning 1 ability per weapon is not really something i would consider personal skill. It's more or less just basic gameplay knowledge.Where and how to use them ? Pretty much the same. You will not need study this for months and months on end or train this mechanically to be half decent at it.

Edit: If anything it's based around teamplay. If your team is refusing to go mid you are pretty much doomed to loose that round. As said though i will just grind through this mess until i get what i want and after that i will never touch it again. For actual skill based PVP with room for personal skill expression there are so many games out there that did it better then PSO 2.

Nah. It just sucks.

Even Challenge mode was developed better.

@Saagonsa said in Is there something i'm missing with pvp ?:

Very little honestly compared to any other game. Most of the top legends are there due to sheer playtime as a lot of them just stream for a living.

Not quite, once you're in Legend, wins and losses are both 20 points, so you need a net win rate, and if personal skill did not matter in the slightest, you wouldn't be able to climb Legend as the law of averages would mean you'd stay around 2,000 points.

Feel its best to put at least 100 maybe 200 hours into the pvp before you mention anything having to do with skill. Generally the people who can't learn how to use these 1- Ability weapons get smashed, get upset that they aren't the best, then talk bad about the pvp. Pvp absolutely has its flaws, like the delay where you get hit even though you know you dodged a skill or were not even in range or you ran behind a wall and still got hit. You pretty much have to adjust for that, even planning a lil ahead instead of just relying on reaction.

Another thing that sucks with pvp is matchmaking. Even when there is a good amount of people pvping, i shouldn't have to get people with sprouts still next to their name lol. Not sure if its just been random, but usually if theres another legend player, 9/10 times they will be on the opposite team.

Anyway, for the people writing pvp off as just sucking or not requiring skill, that's like your opinion, it's just not really right(besides personal preference) when you go against someone like Katherine, M.Delta, Gothicseal, and Vatia, you know it's gonna be a hard game but it's fun as hell. This is comin from somewhere between 100-150 hours purely in pvp and over a thousand games.

I've always had fun with PVP. It was a bit jarring at first, but it's not a bad time imo. It's just not the core focus of the game, so it's obviously not going to be the strongest element.

@Tri-Edge So you are saying that after a 100 hours the lag, desync and overall unenjoyable slow gameplay will go away ?

Joking aside there is some truth here and that is the pvp simply doesn't run smooth at all. Making it borderline impossible to dodge anything without calculating 5 seconds in advance that it might happen and pre-dodge at that moment. The same with the staggering. When somebody as much as breathes on me i'm getting staggered. When i shoot at people etc they don't seem to give 2 shits and simply spam their abilities. No i-frame, no dodge they simply just run on.

Overall its just not worth investing allot of time in this if it wasn't for the rewards. Not even a 1000 hours will fix that feeling.

I am not even a decent player... But when I get hit by something I cant even see, while I am standing behind a wall, there is something truly broken.

I guess those "legends" around just learned to adopt this terrible lag and evolved a foresight to play like everything happens 5 seconds earlier.

@Rawrs1865 100 hours doesn't fix anything, just helps yourself adjust to the problems pvp has. After adjusting, for me anyway and other people who pvp a good amount, the only thing holding us back is bad matchmaking for the most part lol. If TTK was higher, it would probably be easier to carry teams but just can't 1v6 teams and hold mid consistently. It's hard to do even 3v6 if the enemy team is putting enough pressure on mid.

idk what you mean when you say you shoot at people and they don't give 2 shits. You should be able to stagger them to stop their ability spam. The lag in pvp goes both ways. players that you kill weren't in the exact spot you killed them because of the lag. Like when you die behind a wall or got hit/killed mid dodge, it's the same both ways basically making the lag a feature in pvp lol.

But yeah i agree i probably wouldn't play pvp nearly as much if SG rewards weren't involved. Maybe occasional games with friends but that's about it.

@Scerms77 said in Is there something i'm missing with pvp ?:

I am not even a decent player... But when I get hit by something I cant even see, while I am standing behind a wall, there is something truly broken.

I guess those "legends" around just learned to adopt this terrible lag and evolved a foresight to play like everything happens 5 seconds earlier.

You could say that is indeed a form of skill.

The awful desync, matchmaking, and weapon balance aren't going to get any better with 100+ hours sadly. It is not very popular mode in JP I wouldn't be surprised if it disappears entirely from NGS or hopefully gets a complete rework.