Mother's NA drop records show terrible drop rates; even compared to initial JP records

Does anybody know if mother drops spread needle in NA?

The quest description (dont know how to call it) only shows the 14* katana, and when I look at the quest log, it also only shows that 2 (!) of these katanas dropped so far on ship 3...

I wonder why Sega doesn't release drop rates.....?

A thing that should really be considered is the fact that EP4 was the literal peak in activity for the JP servers. The day 1 number of concurrent players for Mother's release was somewhere around 70k people. The sheer number of people playing was significantly higher than the current numbers in NA, as evidenced by the fact that NA very rarely hits 100% even when the content is fresh, so it is extremely not fair to compare the numbers between the two versions of the game.

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed said in Mother's NA drop records show terrible drop rates; even compared to initial JP records:

A lot of MMOs don't release drop rates, this isn't a Sega thing.

@Ephemiel said in Mother's NA drop records show terrible drop rates; even compared to initial JP records:

@Gamers-are-so-oppressed said in Mother's NA drop records show terrible drop rates; even compared to initial JP records:

and a lot of other MMOs do? I don't see any reason why an MMO shouldn't release drop rates.

I guess the main thing that makes the drop rates so bad on PSO2NA might be the fact we're rushing through content... However, the 14star drop rates seem like it's about the same as the initial JP records. I mean, that's great. That means that in 1,000+ runs, you may have a chance to be able to get Kazami no Tachi from Mother; just like how it was on JP. The NA records haven't shown EPD or Spread Needle yet, but they're probably there maybe.

The only thing bothering me is the Astra drop ratio tbh.

@BronzeAgeBrain

When he is comparing drops of 10 runs vs 50 runs, it very much does not matter. What did you not understand about my post. JP had atleast 5 times the quest count runs.

If that JP screenshot is an early mother screen shot, as early as his NA screenshot (aka one week), then JP would have had 50+ runs already. That's not even including the higher population thus higher drop amount. JP also even has many multi-shippers.

Heck, it would be in favor of NA for drop rates in comparison.

I was actually going to make a post about this now that data has started to appear on the drop rate, speaking as someone who played on the JP server when mother EQ first appeared, I can tell you without ANY shadow of doubt that the drop rate was terrible, perhaps the worst drop rate I've personally encountered in PSO2 to date.

As people have mentioned, the disparity between the # of EQ per hour, the # of players at the time on the JP server all was vastly higher. Also, there is another Huuuge problem the NA server has and that is because of the content being rushed to meet the JP server in order for NG then this literally means this content is also obsolete much faster, to a point that these EQs are literally pointless to run except for Mother Factor....heck and even then, its going to be obsolete in EP5 which will most likely drop in a months time making the grind for drops here a completely useless waste of time.

The drop rate in general considering the speed of the content updates does not match at all, even if the drop rate was increased by a large factor it probably would still not even be enough but again, you don't want everyone to get a 14* literally the first time either, striking a balance is something Sega are terrible at, and have never managed it.

Look at the Rappy Egg drop again, for a major comparison for drop rates vs grind, the NA server has a pitiful drop rate.

Between the shorter lifespan before obsolescence and the seeming fewer number of scheduled occurrences compared to JP, it would make sense to give drop rates a bump.

If this is how all 14*s are going to be I can imagine everyone just jumping from Nem/Sla to the first reasonably obtainable (likely non-UQ farmable given the low amount on the schedule) 15* or high-end 14* and it would be kind of weird to basically give upgrading a miss for an entire episode.

Yeah astras were cool and decent and having what appears to be ~1/3 the chance to get one compared to JP (JP had collection sheets for them too what the heck NA devs!) Is a real downer.

It's going to sting even more for the next raid's weapons if it keeps this pattern, those are more useful.

@MisterJaySnek said in Mother's NA drop records show terrible drop rates; even compared to initial JP records:

Yeah astras were cool and decent and having what appears to be ~1/3 the chance to get one compared to JP (JP had collection sheets for them too what the heck NA devs!) Is a real downer.

It's going to sting even more for the next raid's weapons if it keeps this pattern, those are more useful.

And probably looking at EP6 probably around early Winter time so EP5 content will be obsolete too. I'm actually afraid NA version will lose a vast amount of its playerbase if the drop rate continues as is, I'll be honest - everyone who has played PSO2 previously knows all too well how unrewarding the game can be at times, its not unusual to go weeks without even a crappy 13* drop and most Western players are going to get bored far quicker than Asian players.

Remember, for Non-JP server players....PSO2 came out around 8 years ago, NA is getting 8 years worth of content in the space of a year or less, minus JP exclusive collabs like 7/11 and Lawson etc etc stuff, in a nutshell the drop rate does not scale with the rushing of content updates and needs to be significantly boosted, the current booster event doesn't do anything for drops especially for 14* content.

The problem is that Sega have always loved its fractions, look at the drop rate of certain things...its fractions of a % and here lies the problem.

Prime Example is FUN scratch.

Grinders on average have a 17.0616% drop rate....

11: Shock emote has a 0.4739% drop rate

The difference between pulling tickets is simple, you can do it anytime - almost unlimited in pulls. Drop rate of gear for EQs is limited significantly and with an equally poor fraction of a % drop rate...its not a surprise that hardly anyone is getting drops, the question is, how will Sega respond?

@Ephemiel said in Mother's NA drop records show terrible drop rates; even compared to initial JP records:

and a lot of other MMOs do? I don't see any reason why an MMO shouldn't release drop rates.

FFXIV doesn't. Neither does Guild Wars 2 nor The Elder Scrolls Online. All drop rates you might see on wikis/etc. are estimates based on datamines or 100 runs.

The problem is for PSO2, the drop rates are essentially RNG all the way...that being said, even with RNG there still has to be a baseline for drop rates somewhere, and that needs to be changed for the NA server or RDR needs to be permanently boosted for EQ events. I'm not kidding, there are some items even on the JP server that are so rare they might as well be impossible to get.

You went to all that trouble without realising the difference is down to number of times ran/player count, time of day. Lol, the drop rates are gonna be exactly the same man!

@Amari-Kigu said in Mother's NA drop records show terrible drop rates; even compared to initial JP records:

@MisterJaySnek said in Mother's NA drop records show terrible drop rates; even compared to initial JP records:

And probably looking at EP6 probably around early Winter time so EP5 content will be obsolete too. I'm actually afraid NA version will lose a vast amount of its playerbase if the drop rate continues as is, I'll be honest - everyone who has played PSO2 previously knows all too well how unrewarding the game can be at times, its not unusual to go weeks without even a crappy 13* drop and most Western players are going to get bored far quicker than Asian players.

Remember, for Non-JP server players....PSO2 came out around 8 years ago, NA is getting 8 years worth of content in the space of a year or less, minus JP exclusive collabs like 7/11 and Lawson etc etc stuff, in a nutshell the drop rate does not scale with the rushing of content updates and needs to be significantly boosted, the current booster event doesn't do anything for drops especially for 14* content.

The problem is that Sega have always loved its fractions, look at the drop rate of certain things...its fractions of a % and here lies the problem.

Prime Example is FUN scratch.

Grinders on average have a 17.0616% drop rate....

11: Shock emote has a 0.4739% drop rate

The difference between pulling tickets is simple, you can do it anytime - almost unlimited in pulls. Drop rate of gear for EQs is limited significantly and with an equally poor fraction of a % drop rate...its not a surprise that hardly anyone is getting drops, the question is, how will Sega respond?

The fact there are insanely rare drops is a part of PSO heritage. If you had played the older games, you would see that they had severely low drop chances for rares. The reason? They wanted it to feel prestigious to have a Spread Needle or Lavis Cannon.

PSO2 lacks most of that reason to play long term. If you can get everything through badges and exchanges then what is the point, just to have the best stuff straight away and nothing to hope for in drops.

Your post is an example of the problem with gamers of today. Everything is instant gratification. Sonic Team had a great idea of how prestigious it would feel to have rare weapons to show off, but it was ruined by the Gameshark users and duping. We need MORE of these hard to obtain weapons and not less FFS.