Mother's NA drop records show terrible drop rates; even compared to initial JP records

I'm looking at Mother's first drop records of when a 14 star weapon has been dropped on PSO2NA, compared to the first drop records from Mother on PSO2JP. Also note, these aren't the Trigger records. pso20200829_050014_005.png

I also kept note of the Deo weapon drops, just as a secondary reference for drop calculations. pso20200829_050026_006.png

And now, thanks to a friend of mine who caught a picture of the earliest records of Mother from PSO2JP, we can see what the drop rates were like on it, and hopefully compare the records. PSO2JP-Mother1stRecord.png

First off, let me do a calculation of approximately how many runs of Mother it took on NA for there to only be 1 Kazami no Tachi drop. I'll use the Deo drops as a reference. Between all Deo weapons, there were an average of 36,000 dropped. There are 17 weapon types. This would make ~612,000 Deo drops on the records. On a personal average, I end up ex-cubing roughly ~30 Deo weapons on an average Mother run. So how many runs of Mother is this record showing? Roughly 20,400 by those calculations. In all these runs, Astra has only dropped a total of 96 times (~0.47%). I should also note that I don't always get a Nox drop from Mother, so I can't reliably use Nox weapons as a reference for calculations to compare how many runs... though it's also all I have to go off on with my image references.

On PSO2NA, I would say there were an average of 300 of each Nox weapons, with 17 weapon types, making the total 5,100. The drop rate for a Nox weapon drop? That's about 25% chance that you'll see any Nox weapon.

Unfortunately, I do not have a proper approximation for how many runs this PSO2JP record show, though I'll round the number of Nox weapons to 900 each, therefore making 15,300 total. The only close comparison I can make are the Astra weapons, which 2,025 dropped.

Oh yeah, an odd thing to note, it seems Redran Egg 13star seems to have the same rate in both NA and JP... though that's more of just an observation based on data. I assumed more people ran the first few Mother in JP than in NA. (19 in NA, 31 in JP)

Anyways, with the Astral and Nox records, I can make a comparison of their drops.

NA       |       JP
5,100    |   15,300 (Nox)
96       |    2,025 (Astra)

So alright, something seems a little different here... but I'll compare the drops of NA weapons first. For every 5,100 Nox drops, there were also 96 Astra drops. Astra drops make up ~1.8% of Nox drops.

Let's compare to JP. For every 15,300 Nox drops, there were also 2,025 Astra drops. Astra drops make up ~13.2% of Nox drops.

That's strange. It's as if the drop rate have been nerfed in NA; like they added an extra 0 somewhere to their drop rate to make it worse than it ever was initially in JP. Heck, the drop rate for Nox probably isn't the same for NA as it is for JP, and sadly I have no evidence showing that. HOWEVER, the difference in rates is significant, and there's no reason why it needs to be this low, ESPECIALLY since we're rushing through content all the way to Episode 6, which we'll have trade-in 15star weapons. Astra weapons are trash compared to Nemesis/Slave weapons, which have been available since PSO2NA released Ult upon the Win10 release, and they're a whole lot easier to farm than trying to get anything of value from Mother. Also, only seeing 1 14star weapon drop from Mother on NA is painful to see; it's like Spread Needle and Eternal Psycho Drive may as well not even exist, so sadly, I can't even really properly compare the 14star drop records.

Sega, please fix your drop rates. When I've run 30+ Mothers, and no Astra weapon has dropped, there's a problem here; especially when Yamato seems to drop its 13stars every other run for me. These drop rates were low enough initially on JP to account for the fact people will be able to run Mother over and over for the course of a few months before the next major boss raid released; just to keep some hardcore rare drop enthusiasts playing for a long time, and yet, we may not even see a scheduled Mother 1 month from now (at least of this particular UQ). It would have been nice to be able to run multiple Mothers triggers, but with the Fresh Finds shop down... I guess I'll reserve my SG for now.

I've felt Luther has a better drops just by the star ratings alone so far mother hasn't dropped anything for me

Speaking from my personal experience, your expectations for 13*+ drops is already unrealistic. I virtually never see them drop even running the standard boosts.

Edit: This is in relation to your comments on Yamato drops.

I'm fine with abysmal drop rates, we were used to that in PSOBB. 14* weaps need to be available outside of urgent quests, though ;-;

In terms of 14* drops, I'm pretty sure it's the same as NA considering the massive difference in population. You're also not considering people who use RDR vs no RDR as that affects the amount of Deo and 12*drops by a lot. We can't assume everyone is using a 250%. As for the egg, we can't come to any real conclusion with that since in JP eggs can drop for everyone and Summoner wasn't very popular in JP. Don't really know how many runs JP had within the 2 day window vs NA.

As for my own experience, using a 250% every run, I have only gotten two 12s. I assume people who don't use RDR have gotten 0. The 12 drops are clearly abysmal. I just see the JP item log as a larger data pool for rates, but we can't truly tell without a much larger data pool of our own. People in JP may have been extremely excited to run Mother, waking up in the middle of the night to do so to hopefully grab the first 14*s. NA already seems bored and done until NGS, probably skipping more than a few runs because they were doing something else.

There's just too many factors to consider, with gaming culture being a big part of it. The drop rates are terrible, yes. I'm more upset they didn't increase it more than JP had it initially since clearly, like you said, we are not going to be running it for much longer...

😵 14* s from Mother are a lie. 14*s don't exist until Enchanted Forest. 😵

i haven't even see an 11 from her tbh but its not like I can do the ride section without a death or two 😛

@AndrlCh Don't remind me of how many 14star 13star knuckles I kept getting from those golems... I swear it was the most common rare. Even during the Dragon raid boss.

I believe EPD, Spread Needle, among other 14star weapons also drop from the Enchanted Forest, so... that will be the one place to go farm, which should be out in about a month.

• JP had mother practically every other hour when it was released... as they do with every new EQ. NA has... 15.
  • There was also a significantly bigger population in JP (10 ships vs 4).
  • Quest records are supposed to show all the ships
  • Nox is majorly replaced with sigma in NA; maybe check if sigma drops in mother too.
  • Eggs dropped for every class at the same rate back then. They changed this is be mostly only Summoner with a "lower" chance on others.

@Reilet

• NA only had 10 Mother emergencies so far. I ran on 2 ships each time, and ran Mother triggers when I saw them (XH only). Though assuming most people would only run one per emergency period, 15 runs wouldn't even be enough to get any Astra; not even 30.
  • I couldn't get an accurate estimate on how many runs that JP record shows, so that part is left out. The only thing I could really look at were the drop comparisons between Nox and Astra, but even then, it may be inaccurate since Nox drops on JP might have been different than NA.
  • Yes, quest records are the same on all ships.
  • There are no Sigma drops in the record for Mother.
  • Yeah, I'm aware. There were a lot of complaints on JP about Yamato dropping nothing but eggs when some people didn't even play as Summoner, and the system was changed later.

You're also forgetting that JP has 10 ships all contributing to this number. We can't assume player count is equal either.

@redBadger22 said in Mother's NA drop records show terrible drop rates; even compared to initial JP records:

You're also forgetting that JP has 10 ships all contributing to this number. We can't assume player count is equal either.

I'm not forgetting that; I compared the drop ratio difference, not the number of drops. I'm well aware more people ran original JP Mother.

You can't scream "PLS FIX DROP RATE! IT BAD!" when there was a clear difference in quest amount and player count for each server...

Literally. NA has 15 scheduled Mothers. if 10 passed, then that's that. But in the SAME time span, JP would have had at least 50 scheduled mothers.

@Reilet said in Mother's NA drop records show terrible drop rates; even compared to initial JP records:

You can't scream "PLS FIX DROP RATE! IT BAD!" when there was a clear difference in quest amount and player count for each server...

Literally. NA has 15 scheduled Mothers. if 10 passed, then that's that. But in the SAME time span, JP would have had at least 50 scheduled mothers.

It matters because he's comparing proportions of drops, not totals. Assuming the sample size we have is enough to start making comparisons (It probably is) then the absolute number of runs shouldn't matter.

Just to note, I did get an Astra Dilen to drop on my 33rd Mother run. I mainly run these using a 250% rdr + 100% tri, full daily boost, (premium boost until that ends), and premium drink. This doesn't change my mind on the drop rates.