What do you play?

@SpookyOh said in What do you play?:

Sub classing sounds scary at first, but people over complicate it and try and min max..I love the game, but I never ran into anything that I had to min max for. Play what ya like and I am sure it will work out!

It's not just the min maxing, enemies get huge buffs on HP and aggressiveness later on in the game, and class/subclass combos that don't mix well together may end up having trouble more easily with the later content than the class combos that do mix well together. ^^;

But, well, that's for much later in the game, it's unknown when such content will start being released anyway (content with enemies at lvl 75 or above). Until then any class combo works, and if it works like the JP version, there's even small stat bonuses that affect the whole account from getting each of the 9 classes to lvl 75, so it's not a bad idea to experiment with different class combos during the easy part of the game.

@Kedlin313 said in What do you play?:

Yeah I've never been a min/maxer but I've always loved range is PSO hence my main choice but it would be nice to be able to throw out some heals too šŸ™‚

It may be worth keeping an eye on Phantom, unknown when it'll be released in the NA version, but if it works out like the JP version when it does get released, it will need 2 of any of the current classes at lvl 75 to be able to unlock it.

Phantom is a class that uses Katana, Rifle and Rod in different ways than the current classes, and it can use technics with any of the weapons (though when using katana and rifle, it's recommended to use only support techs). šŸ˜›

I tried searching for a video that shows off Phantom's rifle, I was able to find a video that only shows off the rifle's actions, though note that it includes footage from an area that wasn't in the closed beta (no enemies or bosses are shown in the video though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yxpLAqmjso

@Ezodagrom Oh I know, I have watched people playing on the JP server. I have looked over the numbers and feel pretty content. I do thank you for offering some insight on other subclasses. Just the thing I see many mistake.. and this is based on what I see in streamers.. They put to much focus on melee, when questioned about range all they say is "Never tried it, was told it's bad" or "Not really my thing" so this leads me to understand most people are just biased to melee builds for the "anime hero" effect. I play more of a support type and welcome the harder enemies. That is why I am focusing on Light for panic and ice for lock down. Best choice? maybe not. Fun for me? Yes. Not sure why buffing and healing bring me such joy.

@SpookyOh said in What do you play?:

@Ezodagrom Oh I know, I have watched people playing on the JP server. I have looked over the numbers and feel pretty content. I do thank you for offering some insight on other subclasses. Just the thing I see many mistake.. and this is based on what I see in streamers.. They put to much focus on melee, when questioned about range all they say is "Never tried it, was told it's bad" or "Not really my thing" so this leads me to understand most people are just biased to melee builds for the "anime hero" effect. I play more of a support type and welcome the harder enemies. That is why I am focusing on Light for panic and ice for lock down. Best choice? maybe not. Fun for me? Yes. Not sure why buffing and healing bring me such joy.

A bit off-topic but still related to Techter, back when Techter was first released in the JP servers, it was quite a bit different than what it is nowadays and I think its offensive side was a bit more interesting than it is currently.

In the original TE, to be able to use melee attacks effectively, the player would have to first use technics to charge a gear bar. When that bar is empty there would be no wand explosions during the melee attacks, and also that bar would deplete over time, so offensive technics were required to recover it.

TE also used to pair rather well with Force when it comes to technics, the biggest difference between TE/FO and FO/TE back then was that wands had a small delay when unleashing technics when compared to rods (and also wands having a lower technic power, but that didn't make a big difference).

Nowadays there's a considerable gap in technics damage between TE/FO and FO/TE especially because of one Force exclusive skill (a skill that needs Force to be the main class, I dunno the name in the NA version, but the english patch calls it element conversion). If TE/FO had access to that skill, I think there's a chance that TE/FO would have been able to keep up with the other TE class combos, but with a focus on technics instead of melee. :x

This post is deleted!

Iā€™m gonna start as Bo/Te then level either Fi or hu till phantom comes out

@MEGAF1UX said in What do you play?:

@Ezodagrom .. were REALLY going to pretend that ISNT a typo that has gone too far? why that one class? why not "gunnter" or "fightter"? i mean really, its still in beta! they can save face and show the slightest modicum of competence by correcting it before launch. there is no way in hell that is a proper translation on ANY level.

"Technique" + "Fighter" = "Techter" (Pronounced like "Detector" without the first syllable.)

That's my theory and I'm too apathetic to argue in its favor.

I tossed some hours into the JP version again, to pick a class. Really enjoyed Bouncer, more than I remembered. Braver was cool too, and I like bows, but if I go with anything ranged, it probably won't be until I'm playing on PC. Since those are the two main classes in which I'm interested, it lets me go with a DEX mag. Then as long as I've got one of those as my sub class, I'll be able to switch over to any main and still be somewhat viable. Like, not as good as someone who's built for another class, but good enough to dink around with my friends and not be left in the dust. Especially since I don't think they have nearly so much interest in the game as I do.

As an aside, anyone know a class for which Bouncer or Braver work as a sub? For when I'm off-class playing with lower level folks, I mean. In the JP version, I was just running Bo/Hu, had no real interest in accumulating levels since I was mostly just getting a feel for the gameplay.

@The-Iron-Ladle said in What do you play?:

@MEGAF1UX said in What do you play?:

@Ezodagrom .. were REALLY going to pretend that ISNT a typo that has gone too far? why that one class? why not "gunnter" or "fightter"? i mean really, its still in beta! they can save face and show the slightest modicum of competence by correcting it before launch. there is no way in hell that is a proper translation on ANY level.

"Technique" + "Fighter" = "Techter" (Pronounced like "Detector" without the first syllable.)

That's my theory and I'm too apathetic to argue in its favor.

I tossed some hours into the JP version again, to pick a class. Really enjoyed Bouncer, more than I remembered. Braver was cool too, and I like bows, but if I go with anything ranged, it probably won't be until I'm playing on PC. Since those are the two main classes in which I'm interested, it lets me go with a DEX mag. Then as long as I've got one of those as my sub class, I'll be able to switch over to any main and still be somewhat viable. Like, not as good as someone who's built for another class, but good enough to dink around with my friends and not be left in the dust. Especially since I don't think they have nearly so much interest in the game as I do.

As an aside, anyone know a class for which Bouncer or Braver work as a sub? For when I'm off-class playing with lower level folks, I mean. In the JP version, I was just running Bo/Hu, had no real interest in accumulating levels since I was mostly just getting a feel for the gameplay.

so way was it "localized" to "techer" in phantasy star universe? surely its the same word being translated to the same language.

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/british/er_3

hunter isnt a bad choice for a sub. but finding a class that makes use of those classes as subs could be tricky.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_pxozkfMvUY5C_5ih_tanWI-5iZFVHaB_F1LExvmB9Y/edit#gid=1163868169

@MEGAF1UX

Ooh! Ooh!

I'm changing my answer!

Maybe it's short for "protector", but they're not a professional yet?

...No? Well, then I've got nothing. As an aside, I've been calling them "techter" for a while now and have no idea why. I'm not upset about the name, but damned if I can explain its etymology.

Thank you for the link, by the way. I appreciate it. šŸ™‚

(Yes, I know I say dumb stuff. I've made my peace.)

Just gonna leave this here 10597663p.jpg s-l500.jpg The pre-release images had it spelt Techer and the final release had it spelt Techter.

Not to mention that it is pronounced Tek-tah in Japanese.

惆ć‚Æć‚æćƒ¼ this being how it's written.

@SirDoodlesAlot said in What do you play?:

Just gonna leave this here 10597663p.jpg s-l500.jpg The pre-release images had it spelt Techer and the final release had it spelt Techter.

Not to mention that it is pronounced Tek-tah in Japanese.

惆ć‚Æć‚æćƒ¼ this being how it's written.

#rekted lol

Neat! Thanks for posting that!

Techter/Force similar to @SpookyOh I enjoy playing a more supportive role.

But I do also want to level up summoner coz... cute pets!

I'm definitely going to start out with Hunter, since it's a very useful subclass for a lot of different classes, and since Hero is my favorite I can work on having a sword ready for that class too since Sword Hero is my favorite class to play! Then Ranger after that too! The quality of life changes which I think will already be present at launch will make Hunter a lot easier and more fun to play!

Etoile Main might be a high played class eventually, mainly for farming drops from trash enemies in the level-up quests, or helping their friends through old/low level content. Some people might enjoy the aesthetics of Phantom Katana too.