Am I selling 200 power weapons too low at 240m?

The emotes and cosmetics are a side-effect of the market imo. They're in the highest demand because they're fun to spam/show off in lobbies or the cafe, so people are willing to pay top dollar for them. Of course a lot of us want them too, but that's why they're so expensive: they're coveted.

Meanwhile, try searching for the cheapest layering wear and you can still find discontinued items under 1 mil because they aren't coveted.

@ApollosAmour I agree with you, but having 40 of a new emote (for a total value of 815m) is... just disgusting market control.

@TsundereMuse Yeah, but it is what it is. When you have fun playing the market, monopolies happen. I've bought low and sold high as well. But to me it's only really horrible when the market is dry and there's no room for opposition. That same person can still buy up cheaper listings, but they can't fight mass deflation (if several people undercut) like that without taking a huge loss.

@TsundereMuse Some of these are probably not legit players. These "alt" accounts are probably just fraudulent users / funds the gold sellers.

That's also a good point. RMT is probably the greatest incentive to build a monopoly.

200 atk for 200 mil. If they buying, free money I guess.

I would buy that at 45mil at most.

@ApollosAmour It's quite interesting, because these people kind of screw over the people trying to flip the market, lol. You bought out 20 of an item? Well this bot just listed 41 more that'll cause the price to spiral back down, making your profit margins much less than anticipated unless you wait until they get banned. \o/

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that market flippers are the plague in online games. But game companies see nothing wrong with them, some even explicitly say they want to reward people spending time studying the market (specifically, FFXIV), so it's really just a difference of opinion in play style.

But it does spill over and make it hard for everyone who aren't really interested in making money. Those of us who have had enough of making money in the real world and just don't want to bother. We just want to do the quests, get quest rewards, and use that reward to buy stuff.

The existence of market players vastly accelerate inflation, compounding the RMT effect. People who RMT probably aren't bothering with playing the market, as they have that dollar to spend and they're really more interested in playing the combat and so on, which is the whole reason for RMT in the first place. So without the market flippers, RMT would still cause some inflation, but not rapid inflation, as RMT players get what they want and exit the market. Market flippers will stay in the market and continue to create false demand for items, thereby continue to drive up prices.

They often attribute inflation to RMT, but that's not really true when one talks about cosmetics in PSO2.

I don't think any game operator has ever solved the problem of "combat players" (i.e. those who don't want to bother playing the market) getting the short end of the stick when "market players" drive up the prices, making in-game quest rewards diminish vastly in value, so much so that they become pocket change. And then those market players turn around and laugh at people for not playing the market.

Admittedly, the problem is mostly mitigated for the top-end of the combat players who are able to get coveted loot and sell it. But anyone not inside that end-game gets screwed. The situation becomes more dire for new players as the server grows older.

Indeed I don't think any game operator has ever thought it a problem. They mostly think of it as diversity of play styles.

Imagine a PSO2 where cosmetics can only be traded once...

@Yui2387 said in Am I selling 200 power weapons too low at 240m?:

Because this game has tons of whales, who never farmed 200m by normal means so they dont think twice dropping that much money on a weapon.

This is the answer. There are so many people with literally billions of meseta at this point that 200million is a drop in the bucket. The difference between the meseta barons, hardcore players, average players and casual players is a bit of a staggering gulf where casual players struggle to get more than 10 mil at a time because they don't do all of their dailies and weeklies on even one character all of the time, hardcore players sit comfortable at a hundred mil or more due to market shenanigans and the barons being infinitely rich. If not for the fact that global was designed for a quick burn since we're headed straight for NG at the end of next year I'd say we're headed for a horrific hyper inflation given how rapidly we're catching up to, and even in some cases, surpassing eight years of JP economy in mere months. But lmao no one cares so I guess we should just enjoy the hell ride designed to jerk off the people who want more meseta than they'll ever possibly spend and have expressly fucked over an entire game's market solely so they can get more meseta than they'll ever need or use.

200 mil for a weapon that will be outclassed in a month, kinda pity those ppl tbh.

@Nuebot said in Am I selling 200 power weapons too low at 240m?:

casual players struggle to get more than 10 mil at a time because they don't do all of their dailies and weeklies on even one character all of the time, hardcore players sit comfortable at a hundred mil or more due to market shenanigans and the barons being infinitely rich.

I would argue it's really about how one handles one's money. Just like the real world.

Regardless of how much one plays, those who struggle to maintain even 10 million generally are just spending it all, often on cosmetics. Some of them supplement it with AC but without active participation in the market (i.e. selling loot and/or augments) these people are doomed to eternal poverty. Unless, of course, we're talking about a real world whale who's easily investing hundreds of dollars into each AC campaign, then he won't be poor; but then he will be actively participating in the market by selling off his excess AC items.

Those who get ahead of the curve and spend their time doing the end-game content and selling those Nemesis weapons, for example, don't have to do dailies, because they are participating actively in the market.

And those drivers of the market shenanigans who flip items for profit and sell augmented weapons and units, they are the real barons who are earning 100%-200% profit on their investments, and they easily maintain assets in the billions.

Personally I don't like this arrangement, but online game companies have always wanted to have a more or less free market for some reason. A game with a controlled market seem to be so alien that it's never considered. So players who don't find it fun to participate in the market gets shafted and end up eternally poor, even ridiculed by other players, being labeled as lazy schmucks unwilling to learn. I'm sure we've all seen that kind of opinion floating around in various games.

@kztm said in Am I selling 200 power weapons too low at 240m?:

I would argue it's really about how one handles one's money. Just like the real world.

Much like in the real world people get blamed for being bad spenders or simply not handling their money right while everyone just ignores or dismisses the fact that the system is expressly designed to reward those that come into it with massive advantages that allow them to snowball their assets while keeping the poor in their place. The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Most of the meseta barons came into the game not only with previous knowledge from JP about which items tended to trend highest in terms of popularity (explicitly targeting things like animal ears and wings at first, during the beta and xbox exclusive period where things would have the lowest amount of availability) but also freely abused the xbox gamepass bug, for which they were given virtually no punishment. The "real barons" absolutely are not people who even touch weapons, but the people who buy up literally all of the stock of accessory tickets and hold a monopoly on them so they can sell them for any price they want, and organize together so their groups can maintain a status quo on entire corners of the market.

It sucks because the end result is inevitably that people who actually want to play the game, use accessory tickets and play with the fashion system are the ones who get burned by this. Sega doesn't give a shit, and NA is unlikely to ever see a re-release scratch banner. Meseta barons don't care because they only care about reaping profit. So who gives a shit if the end result is a steady increase in the base line price of items (they went from 1mil in closed beta, to 3mil during xbox launch, to 7mil on average for an AC item after PC launch and now shit tends to hover around 10mil and that price is only going up with more popular items leaping straight to 15mil) tending towards only increasing and not decreasing even though there are plenty of users with literally hundreds of these items in their shops. NA's economy is fucked, has been since public launch and doesn't show any sign of slowing until the inflation hits irredeemable levels.

To be fair, JP's prices are just as bad as NA if not worse.

I with they had just limited all cosmetics to 1 trade. Once you buy it, it is bound to your account and cannot be sold again. That would have eliminated all the market flipping and let the real demand decide prices.

The ability to unregister ownership has also jacked up prices on the gear side, with people selling affixed gear for 2-3 times their cost. One would think that they deserve the profit margin for the "work" they put in, but it does cause prices of base weapons and augments to rise.

In the end it's up to the game operator to decide whether they want a "market game" to exist. And most companies want one, and just give up about the inflation.

Although I want to note that in the real world, we have necessities. So there isn't a complete equivalency to the game. In the game you could earn 0 meseta for years and have no problem with that. But not so in the real world. So accusations of being a bad spender is a lot less valid in the real world, but generally valid in the game.

@kztm said in Am I selling 200 power weapons too low at 240m?:

To be fair, JP's prices are just as bad as NA if not worse.

Yes.

After eight years.

I'm not familiar with JP prices through all these years, but I'm sure it didn't get here only after eight years. It must have been like this for many years already? As long as the systems are in place, I'm not convinced that they don't have market players jacking up the prices.

In FFXIV, I used to play on the JP data center, and the same thing would happen. Anything pouplar would be the target of market flipping and casual players not invested in the market would find it hard if not impossible to buy the nice looking outfits.