Bad skills in the trees -

I always wonder why things like this exist in games.

Here's a choice! You can use this skill / passive / whatever, which sounds good on paper, but don't look too closely because it is a trap and is in fact terrible!

Just... why?

This post is a thinly veiled sad complaint about how I wish Poison Detonation was awesome instead of being what it is.

😞

not all skills are bad skills in the trees, some work perfectly when used as sub class but aren't effective as main class, also is just how you want to play you don't need to follow the meta of pure damage and forget survival or any kind of defense.

I even saw a video of guy that decided go full defense and all the mobs of the ultimate quest were unable to kill him

While I agree some skills are "why?", I've learned that some are very useful when paired with the right potential. We just don't have those potentials yet.

I want my freeze everything force gd.

@Jamesmor said in Bad skills in the trees -:

not all skills are bad skills in the trees, some work perfectly when used as sub class but aren't effective as main class, also is just how you want to play you don't need to follow the meta of pure damage and forget survival or any kind of defense.

I even saw a video of guy that decided go full defense and all the mobs of the ultimate quest were unable to kill him

I am a nearly invincible TE/HU that rocks the Deadlios Gridder specifically because of the 20% damage reduction and (certain type of) knock back immunity. I laugh at people that eat dirt in ultimates and am thoroughly shocked when I actually die.

It's not that I follow the meta and some skills are bad because of it.

Some skills are just bad.

Theorycraft/meta builds should be used more as a guide than taken as gospel. Most people have no idea how or why their cookie cutter build even works.

Which still doesn't change the fact that some skills just are not good. Poison Detonation is a perfect example of this. For 10 skill points you get a 30 second cooldown that only works within immediate range, with an explosion effect with a very small radius, which relies on having to inflict a status effect first that most things that would even live long enough to be able to be afflicted by the effect are most likely immune to it in the first place.

The sort of gymnastics you would have to perform to even be able to make the skill remotely viable make it not so by itself, to say nothing of everything else working against it.

Nah option to play terrible spec is there. Can be managable, can make tank builds even.

It's simply that people chose to go with the meta and cookie cutter builds in general. Nothing wrong with that.

If you want to make something off the norm, just mess with an alt or something.

Bouncer is the worst. If you only plan to use one weapon type you have almost no place to spend later points. Also so much BS on our skills (only works when shifta is on) (only works if your element is the enemy weak element) so much fun charging a shitty spell to switch elements so our basic stance does minor damage boost!

@Pulptenks said in Bad skills in the trees -:

Nah option to play terrible spec is there. Can be managable, can make tank builds even.

It's simply that people chose to go with the meta and cookie cutter builds in general. Nothing wrong with that.

If you want to make something off the norm, just mess with an alt or something.

You made my point for me in the first line.

terrible spec

SOMETHING BEING TERRIBLE IS THE POINT.

The conspiratorial take: Trap skills exist to make newbie players more likely to spend cash on skill tree resets

The more typical take: Trap skills exist in some games to make players feel like they have more customization options while not actually affecting possible high-end play (so the devs don't have to actually balance more stuff)