Maining vs. Subbing

Having only ever played PSO on the Dreamcast and briefly following it to the GameCube. I don't have a good knowledge set for PSO2 NA in the sense that. Is it correct that if you main a class that you would end up with a more powerful mained class. Then if you sub classed in something else?

Or maybe a better way to put it. Does sub classing take from a fixed pool that you could otherwise full tilt out your main one?

Thank you.

o/ =^.^=

I'm not entirely sure what the question you're asking here, but if it helps using a class as a Subclass will do the following:

• Inherit 10% of the stats of the class level into the Main class
  • Usage of the full skill tree of the Subclass into your Main class (Some skills have exceptions)
  • Usage of Techniques/Photon Arts your Main class may not naturally have access to (Say you were a Hunter, using a Summoner subclass would allow you to use Techniques, and if you find a way to use an All-class Takt on Hunter you are allowed to use Pets and it's Photon arts)

The idea is to choose a Subclass that benefits your Main class well. Lets pick the Hunter for example, a good subclass to choose would be Fighter because a majority of Fighter's skills help improve the damage output further than most other subclass option. A bad choice would be Force, since while this does allow you to use Techniques the skill tree for Force does not in any way benefit Hunter as a Main class at all and so you will be permanently stunted until you choose a better Sub class.

Hello @KnightHarb1nger ! The simple answer is no, sub classing actually makes your main class stronger in ways. As Berry stated above, access to a second passive tree + skills. You also gain some of the stats from your subclass.

Also, if you get a class to 75, you can unlock a perma stat buff! While not required, it is pretty neat.

As a note: Successor classes (Etoile, Hero and Phantom) cannot have sub-classes, and Hero cannot be chosen as a sub-class. In addition, more skills/passives are main-class only on successor classes.

Wow, I have never heard of Successor classes. Sounds quite tehmazing.

Thank you guys for all the good sweet infos. It seems not having even touched any other PSx game since PSO has been a hinderance on the one hand. But them oh the joy of discovery on the other!

o7 =^.^=

@KnightHarb1nger said in Maining vs. Subbing:

Wow, I have never heard of Successor classes

Etoile in particular can be made to solo content quickly / safely using Damage Balancer passive. (Max Level reduces damage taken by 70%) The downside to the Damage Balancer passive is that healing from other players that aren't using Etoile will be set to 1 HP per tick healing (Unless they use some sort of AoE Consumable that heals.) Another downside is that Etoile can't use techs. (Not that Resta would heal yourself if you have level 1+ Damage Balancer on.)

@coldreactive said in Maining vs. Subbing:

Wow, I have never heard of Successor classes

Etoile in particular can be made to solo content quickly / safely using Damage Balancer passive. (Max Level reduces damage taken by 70%) The downside to the Damage Balancer passive is that healing from other players that aren't using Etoile will be set to 1 HP per tick healing (Unless they use some sort of AoE Consumable that heals.) Another downside is that Etoile can't use techs. (Not that Resta would heal yourself if you have level 1+ Damage Balancer on.)

also they havent been confirmed for NA launch, so pretty pointless to think about.

@MEGAF1UX said in Maining vs. Subbing:

also they havent been confirmed for NA launch, so pretty pointless to think about.

Were the successor class NPCs already standing around in the lobby area? Because a lot of MMOs like to add content in that they're going to use later, but not enable their functions.

@Berry said in Maining vs. Subbing:

• Inherit 10% of the stats of the class level into the Main class

It's actually closer to 20%.

Wow, I have never heard of Successor classes. Sounds quite tehmazing.

Thank you guys for all the good sweet infos. It seems not having even touched any other PSx game since PSO has been a hinderance on the one hand. But them oh the joy of discovery on the other!

o7 =^.^=

Successor classes are called Scion classes on NA. They are good as Mains and also make some of the most powerful sub classes. Their are many advatanges and disadvantages when matching up a main class with a sub class. You can test in game or look around for guides or something if you want prefered combinations or current JP metas.

i think the important part is to dispell the notion that you wouldnt want a sub-class (i have xbox friends who insisted that was their plan thinking that way they could "master" one class before moving on to another). perhaps it comes from games like titan quest, grim dawn, and dins curse, but in pso 2 there is absolutely no reason NOT to start working on a sub-class as soon as possible (that and getting your rings situated).

if/when they add the other classes that will change, but as it stands theres no point to worrying about content that isnt in the game.

A lot of MMOs don't have a class/sub-class system implemented, which is often why you might see people not taking on a sub-class in the west. Final Fantasy XI was the only one in the west that got enough popularity. Instead, people preferred one class, but with branching skill trees, and still do. Some people HATE the fact FFXIV has a linear job/class skill tree that you can't even put points into. (Even though I'm completely fine with it, and wish more MMOs did it. So they can focus more on the game, its mechanics, lore, etc. rather than balancing.)

@coldreactive ..again with the final fantasy.. you do know there an entire world of games out there that ARENT final fantasy right?

@coldreactive ..again with the final fantasy.. you do know there an entire world of games out there that ARENT final fantasy right?

There are literally no other MMOs that have a Main+Sub Class system in the western market besides FFXI, PSO2 and private server-hosted old MMOs.

@coldreactive said in Maining vs. Subbing:

There are literally no other MMOs that have a Main+Sub Class system in the western market besides FFXI, PSO2 and private server-hosted old MMOs.

but there are plenty of ARPGs and other kinds of games that DO have it. i dont really think you are in a position to say those are the only 2 since they seem to be the only 2 i ever see you reference.