Terrible and toxic people making the game terrible for others?

I'm pretty sure you are guys are familiar with those toxic people at chat.

Look, I'm fairly new to this game, playing only for about 2 weeks or less. But my experience chatting with others has been terrible. Honestly, there are 2 times in the game where I was toxic chat targeted, and their answer is always the same "It's the internet, you are not safe from it", which is hugely ironic, because those same people think they are safe on the internet to cause distress in the chats for me and for other players also.

I dunno, many players just dont care, they tell you off to "Toughten up" which is just dismissive of other's misfortunes. I'm seriosuly legit scared to chat with other players in the chat because one time I was called out "You suck" when I felt frustrated for failing to defeat a buss at super hard difficulty and also previously I was called "Virgin" just because I said something in the chat they dont like when they spammed their disgusting hentai images. (People still use "Virgin" unironicaly as an insult).

After trying to get the message of "Mature up" to others (Which obviously fails to get through their thick skull), I was started to be compared to another random long-term player in the game that was named "Vitamin" or something as a means of degradation and mockery, which just speaks words of how toxic all of this is.

This is just beyond sad, bunch of grown ass manchildren being an complete act and trying to be tough on a random anime MMORPG game chat is just pathetic, I would pity them, but unfortunately they dont deserve it.

i mean they are not wrong. The internet mentality is that of a 6 year old boy trying to prove themselves the better.

And i would honestly say. " ignore them" is your best option. There are plenty of block in this game per ship you can switch to freely to find like minded players such as yourself. Stay away from overpopulated channels those usually have the most trolls.

Look in the guild recruitment forums as well to find one that may fit your setting and playlist :3

other then that its all the advice i can give you for dealing with trolls and the like on any internet gaming service.

if you are on ship 1 you can feel free to join our alliance even if you are a new player...or create a character on ship 1 to join us if it doesn bother you to start fresh (not sure how far you are into the game yet)...if you like i can help through stuff - we also got a discord where you wont be ignored - nobody in our alliance would even dare to talk to somebody else in game like that - even kicking "randoms" for an own guildmate isn allowed - the alliance got a good reputation and also a helping hand website from one of our members https://rappy-burst.com/ - if you need anything else than that you can always ask...also for parties and the usual stuffer you wanna run....nobody will be ignored

That sucks in general. Which ship are you on? I am sure someone can speak up and offer an Alliance to help a new player out. If you need help on Ship 2, Hit up East Coast Arks. I know the leader likes to help new players.

@JuggernautGTX said in Terrible and toxic people making the game terrible for others?:

if you are on ship 1 you can feel free to join our alliance even if you are a new player...or create a character on ship 1 to join us if it doesn bother you to start fresh (not sure how far you are into the game yet)...if you like i can help through stuff - we also got a discord where you wont be ignored - nobody in our alliance would even dare to talk to somebody else in game like that - even kicking "randoms" for an own guildmate isn allowed - the alliance got a good reputation and also a helping hand website from one of our members https://rappy-burst.com/ - if you need anything else than that you can always ask...also for parties and the usual stuffer you wanna run....nobody will be ignored

That was/is cool! Yep I feel a lot of people on ship one are cool! Try his guild and have fun!

@Ketsu said in Terrible and toxic people making the game terrible for others?:

i mean they are not wrong. The internet mentality is that of a 6 year old boy trying to prove themselves the better.

And i would honestly say. " ignore them" is your best option. There are plenty of block in this game per ship you can switch to freely to find like minded players such as yourself. Stay away from overpopulated channels those usually have the most trolls.

Look in the guild recruitment forums as well to find one that may fit your setting and playlist :3

other then that its all the advice i can give you for dealing with trolls and the like on any internet gaming service.

Yeah, I perfectly understand this, most of the time I just try my best not to pay attention to them, some can be easily ignored, however some are very toxic It's hard to ignore, it is the reason they are called toxic. I understand that the internet isn't a safe place, in no way I meant that I use the internet as some sort of safe space, but when I talk about behaviour, I'm talking about both the internet and real life.

I'm unsure about the whole guild thing, I'm always been more of a lone-wolf type of player, being in a guild just feels overwhelming to me, expecialy when many guilds have like set condition you must comply, such as being an constantly active player or require you to have have MIC and teamspeak. In my case, I can be like active for few days to weeks, and then drop the game for 2 months or something, plus I'm not comfortable talking to strangers to the internet through microphone, It legit just causes me dicomfort.

@Charus a mic isn required - discord is just another platform for communication through typing....we rarely speak through mic (i never do) also you get alerts if a UQ is popping if youre in our discord and choose to recieve them....pso2 UQs are designed for party play so are ultimate quests...basically you choose to go random (and might face rude ppl) or you go premade with your alliance (wich alliance people mostly prefer) even if you are a quiet or shy person it wouldn matter much...you choose when you are on and wich quests you wanna go nobody is forcing you and you play at your own pace....some are even doing super hards for fun so if youre into doing "the hardest content" (td4 is actually hard in super hard...i would never blame anybody for failing it with random people)

its also a "hentai free alliance" you wont see anybody spaming that stuff xD ... first allaince ive been in actually done that 24/7...

It sucks, but best thing to do is block the people you don't like and move on.

Don't let others ruin your enjoyment of how you want to play, and if they want to play in a way that's "toxic" don't bother trying to change or impede them. It's the same formula of not feeding trolls. If they know they get a rise out of you, they will continue to do it.

But to be fair, "Toughening up" isn't as dismissive as it seems, both IRL and in game people will ALWAYS behave in ways we do not like; one way or another, and it's healthiest for us to be able to move on despite knowing it exits, and pushing past it when confronted.

As for the "disguising" (frankly a matter of perspective; but it does break the ToS) art, block frequent users of it if you don't like it. If you play with people in the same room either who should not see, nor tolerate it; it may be best to disable symbol art all together.

I recommend you find an alliance that is accepting of all skill levels, and is open and friendly. These few people who will not be to your taste do not represent the community as a whole; There are many many types for you to surround yourself with that you'll find far more palatable. Make good friends those who will explain things to you instead of say "you suck" then proceed to troll. When you surround yourself with a community the randoms seem so much further apart. 🙂

Side note: There is something to be said about team play. Much like how you don't like others ruining your game with words and art, others do not like their game ruined by peoples lack of experience causing them to to not succeed quests. At a certain point there is an expectation for people to know what to do and how to fight; and not all bosses are simply "just hit them anywhere and you're doing good damage, just don't die". It is your responsibility as a player in a team to not bring the rest of the team down. This doesn't justify ridicule as an "okay" response; but through history it's been an adaptive way for people to attempt to change others behavior. It may be hard to see from the standpoint of being ridiculed; but others can equally feel as if they were being griefed in these moments (no matter how unintentional). It's hard, but toxicity can sometimes be defeated if we all had a little bit more understanding of each other: Maybe these people were equally just as frustrated as you were regarding the boss, and acted in such a toxic way out of displeasure of the outcome; when maybe normally under any other circumstance you could have gotten along and been friends. (or maybe that's just me being overly optimistic 🤷 )

@Daishi said in Terrible and toxic people making the game terrible for others?:

Side note: There is something to be said about team play. Much like how you don't like others ruining your game with words and art, others do not like their game ruined by peoples lack of experience causing them to to not succeed quests. At a certain point there is an expectation for people to know what to do and how to fight; and not all bosses are simply "just hit them anywhere and you're doing good damage, just don't die". It is your responsibility as a player in a team to not bring the rest of the team down. This doesn't justify ridicule as an "okay" response; but through history it's been an adaptive way for people to attempt to change others behavior. To anyone else's perspective, it may be hard to see from the standpoint of being ridiculed; but others can equally feel as if they were being griefed. (no matter how unintentional). Maybe these people were equally just as frustrated as you were regarding the boss, and acted in such a toxic way out of displeasure of the outcome, when maybe normally under any other circumstance you could have gotten along and been friends.

Well, most of the exploration dungeons I just soloed all of them alone, so I didnt happen to come across people like that, and even if I do in the future, then they need to leave the house perhaps and breathe fresh air (Sorry if I am rude), most people want to play the game, you know, to have fun, I mean people who have to clamp down and blame others for failing are the type of players who just tryhard all day. Tbh, It mostly happens at the gate area location, where I pass by to reach the visiphone for the player shop, you either see people randomly cussing words in chat, being like genuinely toxic for no reason, and sometimes you see people just talking about world politics, like It's some political forum about Donald Trump, like who the hell cares?

Personaly I dont have anything against hentai pics, so I dont want to come off as a "Police" to others, I was mainly commented "That was inappropriate" just for laugh as a joke, and I was called a "Virgin" in return.

I dont know how it was for others, but in previous MMORPG games I used to play, chats usualy had moderators filtering the chat, giving strict bans to toxic players, the chats and the enviroments we're free from toxicity.

@Charus said in Terrible and toxic people making the game terrible for others?:

I dont know how it was for others, but in previous MMORPG games I used to play, chats usualy had moderators filtering the chat, giving strict bans to toxic players, the chats and the enviroments we're free from toxicity.

we have had that in EuRo (european ragnarok) - we could call a GM and talk to him about literally anything and he would look into it asap - same was for bots...they had their own bot hunting team in EuRo with a pikachu sign "gotta catch em all" ... nobody in ragnarok would say things like "you fucking noob you suck i hate you kill yourself" - you get what i mean

as far as i know (i rarely encounter those) ship one got very few toxic players

I've had similar issues with toxic players. It seems to be a growing issue with gaming in general, not just this game. That said I used to play League of Legends so I've developed a bit of a thick skin. If you want toxic go check out that game. Even Riot's (the League developers) staff seem to have toxic problems in the work place (mostly sexist stuff).

That said I've found this community to have a lot of immature individuals running around. I don't really know why that is. PSO used to be comprised of mostly older gamers from Dreamcast and Game Cube eras. I kind of expected a more level-headed atmosphere with this community. That said I didn't really get into PSU as I felt the game was pretty average, so I didn't really get to experience the evolution of the PSO community between the Game Cube/Xbox era of PSO and the present.

@Charus said in Terrible and toxic people making the game terrible for others?:

Well, most of the exploration dungeons I just soloed all of them alone, so I didnt happen to come across people like that, and even if I do in the future, then they need to leave the house perhaps and breathe fresh air (Sorry if I am rude), most people want to play the game, you know, to have fun, I mean people who have to clamp down and blame others for failing are the type of players who just tryhard all day. Tbh, It mostly happens at the gate area location, where I pass by to reach the visiphone for the player shop, you either see people randomly cussing words in chat, being like genuinely toxic for no reason, and sometimes you see people just talking about world politics, like It's some political forum about Donald Trump, like who the hell cares?

I was thinking more like... Magatsu or Luthor. Luthor you can carry fairly easily, especially now with crafting, but it was a chore around release because people didn't know where to target. The final fight with Magatsu in the AIS we've failed to kill the gold about 4 times in all my play time. But even if you do what you need to do, if the rest of the chat wont listen regarding what needs to be done, that is because people in the party were not pulling their weight. And that's rewards lost that most people would expect to get. Personally I'm not as huffy about that but I've seen people in chat remark "thanks for wasting my time and the urgent." Which, who am I to say that is a wrong way to feel? We're supposed to get raiding content eventually, ya? I could see the same attitudes applying. We can dismiss it as "try hard" but in any other game were I to enter into a raid with an unviable build, not do the mechanics properly (or even know how it's done) , and cause it to fail a bunch all under the guise of my own fun; I think it's valid to say it's disrespectful of the other peoples time. (Which is why for the most part in some games I avoid raiding until I've done my homework.)

Regarding swearing and politics, idk. People genuinely enjoy talking about that stuff and talking in such a crude way and genuinely have fun with it, maybe it's just my perspective but "toxicity" needs to at least be somewhat targeted? Like when someone actually goes out of your way to put someone down. IMO Simply saying things people don't like publicly, and discussing stuff openly is just how they want to enjoy their game. Which let's be fair, PSO2 has a lot of casual life-sim/chill and chat aspects to it; and I don't think its an unreasonable expectation that discussions and topics people are passionate about will spill over.

I don't know why they made the block function such a dang chore (really wish it was just a one button thing), but if you don't want to hear about it, you have all the human agency you need to diminish your exposure. I personally stay away from certain blocks while keeping a few others as my favorite chill areas where I know I will mostly enjoy what people are saying publicly. ❤

As for them responding to you with "Virgin" when you commented as a joke, is it possible their response was maybe a failed attempt at levity? Regarding moderation I think there is a chat filter in the game, but it may be Xbox only? Not sure what games you've played, but typically I've never seen much action taken in games unless it was explicitly Racist or homophobic (and I mean not just one off slurs), or detailed sexual discussions in map chat (like public ERP). However these games were typically rated T and marketed as a "family friendly" online experience.

I'm not in anyway an antagonist here, but truth be told, the Internet in general is a bad place to be. It takes understanding and a lot of deep breathing to go through the day to day toxicity it has. You will be called a lot of names (I was called furry bait the other day just for having a nyau suit on). My response? "ok boomer". There will be many things you will have to learn to let slide, and a bunch of comebacks you can learn to intercept the comment and bat it right back without even offending anybody.

In short, everyone wants laughs, but different people have different ways to get them.

@Ciel said in Terrible and toxic people making the game terrible for others?:

That said I've found this community to have a lot of immature individuals running around. I don't really know why that is. PSO used to be comprised of mostly older gamers from Dreamcast and Game Cube eras. I kind of expected a more level-headed atmosphere with this community.

Free to Play games will draw in a wide range of ages, particularly among the younger ages where they may not have a lot of spending money unless they can convince them mom and dad to whip out the credit card for a crew AC or SG, which is a pretty low $ amount on an occasional basis.

As mentioned though, the gaming community in general has gotten toxic in most games to the point I rarely interact with players not in my Alliance. I got better things to do than bother reading toxic slander.

@Ciel said in Terrible and toxic people making the game terrible for others?:

I've had similar issues with toxic players. It seems to be a growing issue with gaming in general, not just this game. That said I used to play League of Legends so I've developed a bit of a thick skin. If you want toxic go check out that game. Even Riot's (the League developers) staff seem to have toxic problems in the work place (mostly sexist stuff).

I gotta disagree with this. I'm not saying it's great now (it never will be honestly), but gaming culture has VASTLY improved with regards to toxicity compared to previous generations. Back then we didn't even have the word "toxic" to describe it. And if you did say anything like that you'd just be called a wimp and be laughed at, endlessly.

Back then the rule was: If someone was worse than you at the game, you could rag on the endlessly forever until they beat you. That's it. Don't like it? Well, that's because you're bad and need to git gud, scrub. Put up or shut up.

Gaming culture has SIGNIFICANTLY changed from this. There are still try-hard arseholes, but they're not ALL try-hard arseholes anymore, and this behaviour is frowned up by most everyone.