En Masse Entertainment closing down

@敗者 I see your points and they are valid, though many, if not most of them, excluding the communuty management ones, are the guilt of the parent company and not Enmasse itself. Though unlike other dev-publishser relationships, EME was Bluehole's NA arm. But for the most part, other than dealing with the public and whatever role they had with localization, they were pretty much limited to what BHS ordered them to do. And their closing is also a decision from Korea's top brass as well.

Now of course, we may never know up to what extent EME had any autonomy or decision power, if any. Would be interesting if after a year or so, some internet magazine like Polygon or IGN finds and interviews any EME employee, to see how much they can disclose of that operation.

@ZorokiHanuke said in En Masse Entertainment closing down:

@敗者 I see your points and they are valid, though many, if not most of them, excluding the communuty management ones, are the guilt of the parent company and not Enmasse itself.

Hi, sorry for replying a year later.

Can't disagree with you on that at all. At first EME had decent communication with BHS but it started deteriorating quickly once the F2P model was implemented, then even more when they launched PUBG, and even more so when they became KRAFTON. I guess more players, more demands, more suggestions from the publisher and BHS was/is a pretty lazy company. I say this being pretty lazy myself.

Though unlike other dev-publishser relationships, EME was Bluehole's NA arm. But for the most part, other than dealing with the public and whatever role they had with localization, they were pretty much limited to what BHS ordered them to do. And their closing is also a decision from Korea's top brass as well.

It's EME that's closing down, not TERA. EME didn't belong to BHS, they were an independent publisher. Most of EME's games have been published to STEAM instead. While Closers was already there and still lists EME as the publisher, accounts are being migrated to Naddic the developer. Same thing with The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. Says the publisher is EME but it's BonusXP, the developer, handling things. The only one up to date already is Stranger Things 3 that lists BonusXP as both developer and publisher.

TERA NA is the only orphaned game of theirs at the moment, with no publisher.

Now of course, we may never know up to what extent EME had any autonomy or decision power, if any. Would be interesting if after a year or so, some internet magazine like Polygon or IGN finds and interviews any EME employee, to see how much they can disclose of that operation.

CMs' that left on their own terms 5 years ago iirc:

(Side note: These 3 CMs' worked at EME at the same time.)

The wave of CMs' that came and left after and idk how/why they left (while I was playing, I took some long breaks and might be missing some people and info):

By all means, these are people that might know something, or know people that know something. Sadly I rarely saw any GMs'/remember their usernames, much less people from behind the scenes. CMs' were usually in charge of Twitch streams so they were more in touch with the players. But they worked at the EME offices so...

(And yes, yes it really freaks me out that I can find people online so easily, don't worry it really does freak me out.)

@Mik Actually, EME was/is a subsidiary of Bluehole. At least according to wikipedia and this IGN article.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/02/26/en-masse-entertainment-debuts-as-new-mmo-game-company

They were a bona fide publisher not intent on solely publishing BHS games, but any games they could make a business agreement with. Still, the ownership of the company itself belonged to BHS Korea. On who's closing, I do know it's EME that's closing down. It was expected by players that Gameforge would take Tera NA under their wing, but so far everything about any new company is under wraps, and people are starting to think the reason of the tight lipping is that they haven't found any new publisher. So some are starting to fear the game will be closing down if nobody is willing to publish. But that's talking ahead as nothing is really known until EME discloses what's going on.

As for GMs, the one I remember the most had the nick name Spacecats. Since I don't follow people, I don't know what happened to him. But as far as I remember, he, Tonka and Minea where among the more approachable ones.

@ZorokiHanuke

Oh wow... The amount of times they gave "we're just the game publisher, we don't have anything to do with what BHS does, we have to do things as they say to keep publishing rights" as an excuse... Nasty... Fucking nasty...

I doubt GF wants more TERA. They already have the whole player base there without buying the NA publishing rights, lots of people migrated a year ago, two years ago. TERA was always a headache for them anyway since people kept fighting over who was the best publisher and leaving one for another at the drop of a hat. GF lost most of the times.

Also you can only beat a dead cow so much until it stops giving money.

These are the ones I remember more or less being around so they would probably be the best to approach (when their probable non-disclosure expires) about how it was working inside EME. I did remember the username of someone on the more tech side of the game working for EME that left a few years back? Treeshark? Might be approachable too but I have no idea how to find him.

Also they're launching 2 sorts of mobile games. Of course. The last ditch attempt of all dead games...

This one seems more like a strategy game and will be available to us soon: TERA: Endless War

And this one is literally the PC game beaten up to fit a phone. Still in Chinese: TERA Classic

Incoming auto-attack for days. Better off playing Genshin Impact and their crooked RNG.

@Mik said in En Masse Entertainment closing down:

@ZorokiHanuke

Oh wow... The amount of times they gave "we're just the game publisher, we don't have anything to do with what BHS does, we have to do things as they say to keep publishing rights" as an excuse... Nasty... Fucking nasty...

Well, EME was indeed telling the truth there, since they were paid to do the stuff without deciding much by themselves. But as companies go, Enmasse was more like BlueHole's NA arm, of sorts. Their task was mainly translation, localization and server maintenance. Anything core game related came from BHS itself.

@coldreactive I felt that was going to be it. Nobody else would want to deal with Tera right now. On the other hand, this means the game's days are still numbered in my opinion. Yes, sure, GF handled EU Tera relatively well. But they still have that bad rep around them that won't rub too well with the NA player base.