i have a question regarding the NA release of pso2

given this..."new genesis" game is being advertised now... did sega pull a shitty move and wait until the end of pso2's life time before porting it outside of japan?

by that i mean did they wait till all of the content was finished being released in japan first before drip feeding it abroad? cause, with the episode release roadmap for NA and elsewhere and the fact i've seen no mention of an episode 7 anywhere, that's certainly what it looks like to me.

and even then, we've already seen that the content we're getting WILL be censored, cut, or otherwise altered from what is available on the JP servers.

which, if i decide to play this game again is what i'll be trying to play on cause this NA release is just a hot mess of a launch in general.

PSO2 is getting a graphical update to match New Genesis' graphics according to the trailers/information. New genesis' story takes place 1000 years after the events of Episode 6.

We're not getting an Episode 7. Neither is Japan.

I think it was just bad timing. Sega finally pulls through with their promise to bring the game west after being in limbo for so long only to run parallel to Japan's big plans for a new launch. The way it is promoted is that these two games will coexist together for however long, but I feel like New Genesis is the new game trying to ease people away from the old and into the new. They did this with PSO and PSU, and then with PSU and PSO2. That's not to say we won't get to enjoy PSO2 for years to come but the reality is that it is almost a decade old and they needed/wanted to make a new game in the series.

@Monomate said in i have a question regarding the NA release of pso2:

I think it was just bad timing. Sega finally pulls through with their promise to bring the game west after being in limbo for so long only to run parallel to Japan's big plans for a new launch. The way it is promoted is that these two games will coexist together for however long, but I feel like New Genesis is the new game trying to ease people away from the old and into the new. They did this with PSO and PSU, and then with PSU and PSO2. That's not to say we won't get to enjoy PSO2 for years to come but the reality is that it is almost a decade old and they needed/wanted to make a new game in the series.

😕 from what i saw of the follow-up trailer for new genesis it looks like the only thing that will really carry over during character transfer is looks and items. all progress and character growth (like exp lvl and skills) gets wiped.

so, not much point to that either.

It's not that it's wiped. You can still play PSO2 proper. I'd look at New Genesis more as a new game than an expansion. It's kind of like Phantasy Star Nova, a game we have not gotten west (yet). Same universe, different people, different place. Well I guess in this case it may not necessarily be "different people" if your character is involved, but 1000 years is a long time so it may as well be.

as pso2 ng being a "whole new game" ....or lets just call it PSO3... with a smoother combat system than pso2 it makes sense to whipe most of the progress...instead of making a "level 130" cap they decided to start from scratch....look at it like this: you go into NG with your maxed out character from pso2 and get tuned down to match the new combat etc while dealing 100 dps - or you start NG with your newly created character and...deal 100 dps as well...since skills and (most probably) class trees are being completly different it feels more convenient to just start from lv 1 rather than from lv 100...also since both games "coexist" there might be new challenges for pso2 waiting for us in future wich reward us for pso 3...so getting your character maxed in pso2 gonna help with this for sure...and who knows maybe there gonna be unique weapons available that you can only drop in pso2 events but that are able to be used in pso3...all in all i enjoy having a large western community over a japanese one...communication issues etc...also fan translation (if they happen) gonna take quite a long while...i rather play the game fully in english from the start (or maybe even in german if it gets translated into different languages) along with a large western community