Weapon Grinding Beginner's Guide (Video)

One of the easier things to do in PSO2 is Weapon Grinding, it'll make your gear way more powerful. This is a good thing to get an understanding on early.

💠 Video Guide: https://youtu.be/qVmtdaGYNBg

PSO2-WeaponGrinding.png

[Why grind?]

Grinding on PSO2 allows you to increase your weapon's power beyond the default values they come with. This means it will deal even more damage to enemies than a stock weapon would.

Once you have the weapon you wish to grind, you can head over to the Item Lab in the shop area. This is right next to the Tekker and Weapon Shop.

[Needed Items]

Before we get started though, there are a few things you will need to grind a weapon with:

• Weapons to Sacrifice
  • Meseta
  • Grinders for 1-12 star weapons
  • Lambda Grinders for 13 star+ weapons
  • Photon Spheres for Potential Unlocking
  • Excubes for optional consumables that improve the grinding process

Meseta is the main currency in Phantasy Star. Meseta drops like candy everywhere but can also be earned by selling items. Weapons drop from all over the game, they come as rewards and can be bought from vendors and player shops. Grinders and Lambda Grinders can be bought from the Excube shop for excubes, but they're also rewards you'll get from a variety of sources. weapons, units and eggs can be traded at the Recycle shop for Photon Spheres and Excubes. Other activities like Emergency Quests and Solo Triggers are also great for grinding Excubes and Photon Spheres.

[What is Grind Level?]

Next up, we'll talk about Grind level. This is the +1 and so on number in a weapons name. This number is the amount of grind levels the weapon has been ground for a bonus. You can increase NT or New Type weapons to a maximum of +30, while 13 Star or Higher Weapons can drop with a max limit of +35.

[How to grind]

The grind process has a few steps. First, we choose the weapon we wish to grind. Then we select other weapons to sacrifice to increase the target weapon's level. Finally, we get an option to utilize consumables to further increase the success and other attributes of the grind.

[Bonuses when Grinding]

There are bonuses for grinding weapons that meet the following criteria: Base Upgrade EXP is your Standard EXP for grinding weapons, this will increase from weapon to weapon based on the rarity of the weapon sacrificed. You will gain a Material Bonuses by using weapons of both the Same Type (Swords etc) and also Same Name. The Reinforcement Bonus comes from the Grind pre-existing on sacrificed Weapons.

So, the best-case scenario for grind progress will always come from weapons of the same type as the target weapon, with the same name and an existing grind value. But you can still make good progress grinding with weapons with a grind value or same type.

[Consumables]

The final step before grinding allows you to select consumables to further the success of the grind. These items offer options for upgrade support, attribute change and element up. These items can be bought from the excube vendor, or by earning them via arks missions, collection files and so on. Items like Grind and Great Grind success items can increase grind levels further than your intended grind level when applied.

[Potentials]

NT weapons will also need to unlock potentials every 10 grind levels. You'll need to use Photon Spheres and Meseta to unlock the weapon's potential attribute. Note that you will not be able to exceed level 10, 20 or 30 until you have performed the potential unlock on an NT weapon. Potentials are attributes that add a special bonus to the weapon. These are important and should always be investigated when upgrading weapons, as this can make or break a good weapon for end game.

[Putting this all into practice]

So, putting all of this to practice, you'll select your target weapon. Then choose the appropriate amount of items to grind up to the potential limit. You may also want to grind up same type and same name weapons to speed this process up. Then you upgrade your weapon potential and then repeat the previous grind with fodder up to the next potential limit. Repeat this until you hit level 30. To further increase it to +35, you will need 5 to 6 weapons of the same name.

[Cheap Grinding]

Early on, you're not going to have a lot of meseta to throw around, so it's recommended you start out by sacrificing 10 star or dio weapons as these requires less meseta when used. You will likely come across these doing higher level Emergency Quests and Bonus Quests. But it's worth noting that if you do use 12 star or nox weapons, it will require less lambda grinders at higher levels. So, it really comes down to cost of grinders vs meseta investment.

Grinding out sacrifice or fodder weapons to +30 will speed up the grinding process dramatically. If you can match up same type with the +30 reinforcement bonuses, grinding your higher star weapons will go by a lot faster and require even less resource investment.

[Other boosts]

There are some other methods of grinding a weapon optimally, but these will cost real life money or even more meseta. You can buy EXP Weapon-NT from the AC shop if you have the money to spare, these will straight up give a +10 grind level from using just one of these EXP weapons. You can also find weapons out and about or in player shops with the Emper Embrace ability, this ability will boosts your EXP investment even further.

The Weapon Sacrifice only works for NT Weapons, which you didn't go over. (You did mention NT briefly, but not mention the old type weapons.) Old Type weapons drop just as often if not more so for higher starred items. Especially in older content like ARKS Missions and Free Fields.

Starting weapons (that aren't Summoner Takts) are also all old type weapons I believe still. Unless they finally changed that in the west.

I know you want your videos to be short, but a lot of YouTube meta now is to have at least 10-11 minutes of video.

I am 90% certain that old type weapons wern't droping in the beta.

@IndefinateArdem said in Weapon Grinding Beginner's Guide (Video):

I am 90% certain that old type weapons wern't droping in the beta.

Then that must have changed from JP to Western, since they drop like hotcakes in JP.

@coldreactive said in Weapon Grinding Beginner's Guide (Video):

The Weapon Sacrifice only works for NT Weapons, which you didn't go over. (You did mention NT briefly, but not mention the old type weapons.) Old Type weapons drop just as often if not more so for higher starred items. Especially in older content like ARKS Missions and Free Fields.

Starting weapons (that aren't Summoner Takts) are also all old type weapons I believe still. Unless they finally changed that in the west.

I know you want your videos to be short, but a lot of YouTube meta now is to have at least 10-11 minutes of video.

I appreciate the feedback, but no one is going to upgrade a starting weapon when you'll be replacing them within the first 20mins of playing. New Type weapons should be peoples' focus, as it's the most recent system for weapons. Old type weapon grinding is very niche and a lot of people aren't going to find it helpful.

As for YouTube length. I'm not going to make a video 10-12 minutes for the sake of making them that length. I've been doing this for 3 years and I understand the YT climate. My focus will always be relevant information over filler. I'd rather respect my viewers' time than try to squeeze out time for the sake of it. That's disrespectful.

@coldreactive said in Weapon Grinding Beginner's Guide (Video):

Then that must have changed from JP to Western, since they drop like hotcakes in JP.

According to users in another forum, there's no OT weapons in the NA version, even OT weapons that don't have an NT version in the JP servers were converted into NT versions together with a boost in stats.

For example, Elder Rifle in the JP version (OT weapon): alt text

Elder Rifle in the NA version (NT weapon with higher stats): alt text

I learned most of this from trial and error on the JP Servers, im glad you made this video very informative I love it.

But can you cover what to do with 35 weapons and the Special ability, and affixing, i havent done this yet and i find that part confusing.

For sure, will be doing that soon! Affixing is pretty expensive and I gotta build up some funds to get the video ready haha.

@AnamanaAU said in Weapon Grinding Beginner's Guide (Video):

but no one is going to upgrade a starting weapon when you'll be replacing them within the first 20mins of playing.

Actually, it's recommended to upgrade a fairly decent starting weapon to carry you until your DPS falls (which should be on every difficulty change) 100k meseta and some grinders isn't that much to invest for an early carry, specially if you want to solo and kill bosses effectively.

You don't necessarily have to invest all your meseta and resources on a single early weapon; what I mean is that you can just add a soul and a couple abilities, grind it to the max, and just let the weapon carry you.

Advising new players to hold on some materials and not upgrade is advocating to get carried by others, simply because their damage won't be able to carry their own weight. Nobody has 100% drop rate, so any decent weapon will take a while to get. Implying they'll be able to replace their weapon within the first 20 mins isn't realistic.

@PandasOnFire said in Weapon Grinding Beginner's Guide (Video):

@AnamanaAU said in Weapon Grinding Beginner's Guide (Video):

but no one is going to upgrade a starting weapon when you'll be replacing them within the first 20mins of playing.

Actually, it's recommended to upgrade a fairly decent starting weapon to carry you until your DPS falls (which should be on every difficulty change) 100k meseta and some grinders isn't that much to invest for an early carry, specially if you want to solo and kill bosses effectively.

You don't necessarily have to invest all your meseta and resources on a single early weapon; what I mean is that you can just add a soul and a couple abilities, grind it to the max, and just let the weapon carry you.

Advising new players to hold on some materials and not upgrade is advocating to get carried by others, simply because their damage won't be able to carry their own weight. Nobody has 100% drop rate, so any decent weapon will take a while to get. Implying they'll be able to replace their weapon within the first 20 mins isn't realistic.

See, that sounds more like an intermediate player action. Players will get to that being second nature, but starting out that's just giving players too much to think about. Especially when you run a few Urgent Quests, some Free Fields and ARKs Quests and you're going to get something better than starting weapons.

I don't want to discount your advice, but I also don't want to overwhelm new players jumping in for the first time accessing every system for the sake of it. My goal is always to introduce new players to systems and allow them to understand them. Expectation of using them can come when they're more familiar. Players don't have to min max the moment they step into the game.

With your knowledge, it would be great to see an intermediate or advanced guide on this, for those players who have become familiarised with the gameplay loop. Have you thought of making a thread on this?

@AnamanaAU Awesome guide, AnamanaAU! I have a question that I can't solve which pertains to the link in your YT video. The link on MAGs. Forgive me for not asking this in the MAGs guide section but didn't see it anywhere. You said in order to acquire a MAG license speak to Koffie around Lvl 5 and complete the client order. I'm a lvl 12 CAST Hunter and Koffie keeps saying she's too busy to talk to me and goodbye. What am I doing wrong? Is it that CASTS can't raise MAGS or is it only in certain times of the day that you can speak with Koffie?

@Mavrickjubei said in Weapon Grinding Beginner's Guide (Video):

@AnamanaAU Awesome guide, AnamanaAU! I have a question that I can't solve which pertains to the link in your YT video. The link on MAGs. Forgive me for not asking this in the MAGs guide section but didn't see it anywhere. You said in order to acquire a MAG license speak to Koffie around Lvl 5 and complete the client order. I'm a lvl 12 CAST Hunter and Koffie keeps saying she's too busy to talk to me and goodbye. What am I doing wrong? Is it that CASTS can't raise MAGS or is it only in certain times of the day that you can speak with Koffie?

Seems like you need to clear a few client orders from Afin before unlocking Cofy's? Not sure.

Nah, you just need to talk to Afin once, I believe. It's the first thing every player should do when they touch down into the ship.

Thx! I actually ignored Afin because he was kind of annoying to me and just went for the Quests. I had to do 2 things. Clear an ARKS MISSION from the menu button which they kept telling me to clear it and I did the mission like 6 times but had to clear it in the menu then spoke with Afin!