The censorship on being short should be removed. Round 2

@TheMerfox said in The censorship on being short should be removed. Round 2:

An M rating is already enough for "absolutely not for children"

"Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up." vs. "Content suitable only for adults ages 18 and up." I take it to read like R vs NC17, not addmited without an adult, vs not admit if not an adult. Not that anything in PSO2 requires the latter, 18+ barrier is a price I am willing to pay to get unadulterated content.

@zubkoa An AO rating would be very harmful to the game, if it were even possible to "ask" for one. First of all, the ESRB rates games according to what they have, not what the devs want the rating to be. So, for PSO2 to get an AO rating, they would need to actually include something that would warrant one.

Even if it did somehow manage an AO rating, streaming platforms like Twitch have a blanket ban on AO games being streamed, so it would harm the game's popularity and advertising opportunities, even if it were optional content. And speaking of advertising, AO-rated games are not allowed to be advertised on store fronts. While I don't know if it affects digital games in any meaningful way, it'd certainly not be a good look for well-known companies like Sega and Microsoft to be advertising something rated AO.

@TheMerfox I cannot see SEGA wanting to go the AO route anyways, especially if the edits were to avoid controversy. Unfortunatly, the video game market is not like home video where a rated theatrical cut and unrated extemdedd cut of the same work could be released without confussion or controversy.

I was speculating as to how we could get an uncut NA release, while keeping fear of moral guardian outrage at bay. This is not it, so I hope someone else can do better.

@zubkoa I believe there is absolutely nothing that has to be changed for the cut content to be re-added, personally. None of the bath scenes should be excluded or modified, as most people understand that people in Japan bathe in public, and popular games such as Persona 5 do show it in-game, albeit with less story content happening in there.

There shouldn't be a problem with short characters either, as other games have content some people on these forums would find controversial. Blade & Soul have the Lyn, the childlike race, wearing swimsuits and other skimpier outfits. Tera's Elin have been mentioned many other times in the forums as well. And if we go into more obscure games, Wonderland Online had actual children playable (no 1000 year old lolis), as well as a story illustration featuring a child party member, Xaolan, completely naked, playing in a river with another nude party member. None of this got censored in the NA server, and it supposedly got a T rating.

PSO2 is far from the worst when it comes to content in online games, so there's no reason it should be toned down.

@TheMerfox I playes that game (Wonderland Online). I agree with you.

JP was only rated T up to this year- in april that it was changed to M. Everything that has been cut from the game was suitable for a T rating- not sure why A/O is be brought up when the game is barely M territory even with all the content out. I mean- senran kagura is a T rating and is ABOUT all the stuff that was cut out from this game. It constantly has sexualization in its text through a VN format- switches to an action game where you kill 100s of people with guns(though no blood.. and this is important) if you take too much damage all your clothes explode and also when you transform all your clothes vanish and you get a new outfit. This is very much made to be a sexual game. And you have the character Ryona(pun intended) who is just a masochist who loves being beat up and verbally abused... And she's 15?.. You even have a minigame that allows you to grope these characters and also spray them with a hose to see through their shirts. Groping topless children = T ... Having a character sitting in an onsen with a bathtowel on with 8 year old pixel graphics- = M?...

Anyway- that game has far more explicit content in regards to minors in adult scenarios and is T and yet is on steam with a full translation and is loved by many. Fearing a backlash over an even more niche game like PSO2- surely wasn't a problem for Sega... yet they cut content anyway for no reason. I'm pretty sure the scene in ep4 where a character is stabbed is pushing the game closer into M than any of the cut content.

https://youtu.be/9eSACJ9dAzg MMOByte made a video on censorship in PSO2. It is more about the cutscenes, but it does mention the height restriction.

I believe that game directors create their games with a purpose in mind and want to experience the story and content as it was originally intended. This is a rated M(ESBRB) game, therefore there should be no constraints, no censorship and no reason to try and protect what a child would see on this game since it's all adults playing.

@MoldyAsp33874 There is no T rating in Japan. CERO, PEGI, and ESRB are different rating boards and don't necessarily have to share the same conclusions on the same games. Idk what pushed PSO2 to a CERO D rating in Japan, but it can do so independently of the M rating in NA.

@ApollosAmour said in The censorship on being short should be removed. Round 2:

@MoldyAsp33874 There is no T rating in Japan. CERO, PEGI, and ESRB are different rating boards and don't necessarily have to share the same conclusions on the same games. Idk what pushed PSO2 to a CERO D rating in Japan, but it can do so independently of the M rating in NA.

For all intensive purposes- Cero C is inbetween a T and M rating here. and Cero D is an M rating. So sure- while Cero C isn't T- it is far from Cero D or "M" and was still perfectly fine with it long past the content NA currently is at. Despite ESRB/Cero needing to re-rate expansion content each time.

It speaks more to my point that the game mentioned is a T rating- which is even less explicit than Cero C that Japan version was able to keep for so long. It's just not a problem with explicit sexual content at all. It has to be a moral stance inside the development team or the platform holders.

@MoldyAsp33874 It doesn't really matter what another game does. We don't know exactly why the ratings changed, so we can't say it has nothing to do with certain content.

@ApollosAmour I would disagree, other games set precedents and examples of how a game can be rated.

@MoldyAsp33874 It doesn't really matter what another game does. We don't know exactly why the ratings changed, so we can't say it has nothing to do with certain content.

There are strip poles and clothes which barely show anything. No game can ever receive a T or C rating with that kind of content. This is a M/D rated game which allows for the most creative freedom (outside of an ESRB Ao which for some reason not even Witcher 3 got, so they're very random with that one)

@Kurumi-Tokisaki said in The censorship on being short should be removed. Round 2:

There are strip poles and clothes which barely show anything. No game can ever receive a T or C rating with that kind of content. This is a M/D rated game which allows for the most creative freedom (outside of an ESRB Ao which for some reason not even Witcher 3 got, so they're very random with that one)

But it did have a C rating with that content... for 8 years.. .. Not sure if you misunderstood- but Japan had all content in the way of emotes and cosmetics we currently have while it was rated C- PSO2 NA jumped on the M rating before much of the risque content came out- possibly planning to bring out all what JP had- and then cut the content anyway. So NA are censoring a C rated product that is currently rated Cero D/M in NA. While T rated games(less explicit than Cero C on the whole)- get away with bath scenes and more sexually suggestive material. Implying the problem is not with sexual content at all... but maybe something else.. Yet- with zero transparency- we will never know.

Pole Dance and Chair dance were released very early in JP as well as Bath Towel F(which NA doesn't have yet and may never get considering the story scene showing npcs wearing it was completely cut.. and we usually would get all costumes NPCs wear but that apparently is too much..) and Sudsy- which is in NA but is so incredibly rare because it was released for like 40 dollars in an SG bundle for a week before the game even launched on PC. I've only seen it on about 2 people.

@Archetype-Luna said in The censorship on being short should be removed. Round 2:

https://youtu.be/9eSACJ9dAzg MMOByte made a video on censorship in PSO2. It is more about the cutscenes, but it does mention the height restriction.

Glad the issue is getting more traction. You can see most of the comments of people who aren't even aware just like I said and of course they aren't exactly happy about it and laughing about the fact it's even censored to begin with due to how ridiculous it all is.