Bot Spammers ruining the game

Bots are an issue in every MMO. If there's money to be made off of players, gold sellers will find a way to be there. You might as well not play MMOs if this is such a deal breaker.

true but most games have an easier way of reporting/black listing the bots. usually you can just right click the name on pc or on console they have other ways of specifically selecting people in the chat box. where as pso2 you have to either use the nearby characters function and search through there for them. or if they whispered you which there starting to do you have to look through the visiphone for them.

I get bothered by phishing bots and gold sellers maybe 3 times a week on WoW classic at most. It's egregious here.

One option you have is sticking to one lobby and blacklisting Bots. I stay on my block 99% of times, and i rarely see more than 1 new bot appearing each day or two. That way, you only need to blacklist a small ammount.

@MisterJaySnek said in Bot Spammers ruining the game:

I get bothered by phishing bots and gold sellers maybe 3 times a week on WoW classic at most. It's egregious here.

Yeah we're now seeing 2+ bots in the gate area try to keep their speech bubble on-screen at all times. It's becoming impossible to talk with real people in the gate area because the bubbles are getting covered up and you can forget about trying to look through the log window for anything in that area.

I know people say the game is played on the field rather than in the lobby, but this is getting ridiculous.

@Miraglyth Maybe I'm just quick with blocking but I've never noticed it to be that bad.

It's annoying but it's commonplace with all MMOs. I don't think there's a lot they can do unless they step back on global or f2p.

Even sub-based FFXIV had some moments where there were influxes of these bots, there's literally NOTHING that can truly be done.

@Ephemiel Limsa Bots XD

@Ephemiel ArcheAge was full of bots too even though each account had its own paywall. The only thing I could think of them doing would be to follow what WoW did, but I don't think anyone wants that.

@ApollosAmour said in Bot Spammers ruining the game:

unless they step back on global

They existed before PC, let alone Global. It's got nothing to do with that.

@ApollosAmour said in Bot Spammers ruining the game:

The only thing I could think of them doing would be to follow what WoW did, but I don't think anyone wants that.

What's that?

I simply don't buy the argument that "They can't be completely stopped, so may as well do nothing at all!" There's so much they could do that would effectively and dramatically reduce the spam and volume is kind of the problem with spam so...

I've always wondered why big names like PSO2 and FFXIV don't use a "client reputation" system for bot management.

In a nutshell, use player reports as an indication of suspicious activity, and analyse these reports statistically. Each account (i.e. "client") starts with a neutral reputation that gets adjusted when:

• A lot of seemingly unrelated accounts are all reporting the same account in the same short time period: the reported accounts gets deduction. When the reputation score is lower than a certain level, the account is marked as a spammer and logs sent to a GM for action. If the account turns out to be innocent, everyone who reported it gets a reputation score reduction instead.
  • An account that reports a lot of accounts in a short time is marked as suspicious and investigated (by a GM) for harassment. Malicious reporting results in your account becoming marked as bad actor.
  • An account that reports other accounts for RMT spamming in a consistent fashion gets marked as helpful and investigated (by a GM) for a raised importance for future reports.

With this information, the server can create a "spam-me-not" list that players can opt-in. When a "helpful" clients report an account, that account is automatically muted on all blocks of all ships. When a bunch of bad actors report the same account in a short time, there is harassment and a GM is dispatched to investigate the logs and dish out bans accordingly.

I mean this is a lot more practical than expecting SEGA to implement machine learning algorithms to detect RMT spam. It still requires GM action, but a lot of work can be avoided by having the GM only investigate aggregated results that are automatically generated by the server in standard form, allowing for standardized workflow.

Because the GMs only hand out 815 chat bans for gay SA.

They dont care about the bots. If they wanted to care they would just make a filter that doesnt 'show' the person its being applied to that their chat isnt being broadcast; that filter links to other people that are also on the 'list' so they can all still see their own chat; but arent aware nobody else can.

Its basically a 'low priority' system a-la MMR. That at least makes it much harder for offending accounts to figure out that they are currently soft-chat-banned.

Otherwise; ive reported and had multiple people report the same bot(s) over the course of a day or two at least; and nothing ever happens to them.

its not that they dont care about the bots its just that most players dont even bother to black list or report bots cause theres to many of them. and for some reason as i stated earlier it takes more than necessary effort to block or report players in this game.

@Miraglyth The reason they'd have to step back on global is because one solution is to ban certain countries depending on where the bulk of the traffic is coming from. I doubt that's what they're trying to do though.

WoW made it to where chat (including whisper) is locked to anyone that isn't paying a sub. That would remove the f2p element entirely though. There's the option too of locking chat until the player hits a certain level, but that's really isolating for new players.

I agree that there's likely something that can be done to at least address it somewhat and that it would be a good idea to do so. I was more commenting that every MMO deals with this kind of stuff, so most of us are used to it by now.