Any plans for a Switch port?

I just purchased the Blu-ray for PSO2 Anime and wondered if the Nintendo Switch will get some PSO2.

It unfortunately, isn't likely, since I think it was a unique case that allowed PSO2 to get a Cloud-based version on Switch in Japan.

It's unlikely, since the Cloud system the switch uses is different than a cloud service that just hosts the game servers and allows for multi-platform contact.

To add onto what everyone else is saying... basically unlike the NA version which uses the Cloud Servers to host the game's servers (much like how Amazon's Cloud servers are used to host Fortnite...), the JP Nintendo Switch version refers to "Cloud" as in.... a setup similar to what Google Stadia uses... the actual game client running on a Cloud computer streaming its video to the Nintendo Switch 'client' which itself is streaming your input to the cloud server. Lag results in looking at a blurry screen and having input lag.

To add things into perspective on how unlikely it is for this version of PSO2 to release outside of Japan... this setup is not just used by PSO2 but also Resident Evil VII and Assasin's Creed Odyssey on Switch as well as mobile Final Fantasy XIII and X.... all these titles from companies bigger than SEGA and yet these titles are Japan-only.

The only way PSO2 could end up on Switch is simple... if Microsoft manages to make xCloud available on Switch, therefore, allowing you to play a Cloud-streamed Xbox One version to your Switch.

i think it will happen. not soon, but eventually.

@MEGAF1UX said in Any plans for a Switch port?:

It really depends whether Microsoft wants to release their exclusivity. For now, when Phil on the interview said "all platforms", I don't think he was referring to other consoles like PS4/Switch, but rather XBOX and PC.

@Leonkh99 said in Any plans for a Switch port?:

To add onto what everyone else is saying... basically unlike the NA version which uses the Cloud Servers to host the game's servers (much like how Amazon's Cloud servers are used to host Fortnite...), the JP Nintendo Switch version refers to "Cloud" as in.... a setup similar to what Google Stadia uses... the actual game client running on a Cloud computer streaming its video to the Nintendo Switch 'client' which itself is streaming your input to the cloud server. Lag results in looking at a blurry screen and having input lag.

To add things into perspective on how unlikely it is for this version of PSO2 to release outside of Japan... this setup is not just used by PSO2 but also Resident Evil VII and Assasin's Creed Odyssey on Switch as well as mobile Final Fantasy XIII and X.... all these titles from companies bigger than SEGA and yet these titles are Japan-only.

The only way PSO2 could end up on Switch is simple... if Microsoft manages to make xCloud available on Switch, therefore, allowing you to play a Cloud-streamed Xbox One version to your Switch.

I'd love to be able to cloud stream Xbox games to my switch. I know we are very far from that reality and it's most likely a pipe dream but a boy can dream 🙂

@LapisWave said in Any plans for a Switch port?:

It really depends whether Microsoft wants to release their exclusivity. For now, when Phil on the interview said "all platforms", I don't think he was referring to other consoles like PS4/Switch, but rather XBOX and PC.

why would you think that...? "ALL" means ALL. its not even like he said "all OUR platforms" or anything. its already been ported to ps4/vita and switch, so minimal work would be required. ios and android are listed as platform for it too on its wikipedia page.

@ShadyMilkman said in Any plans for a Switch port?:

@Leonkh99 said in Any plans for a Switch port?:

I'd love to be able to cloud stream Xbox games to my switch. I know we are very far from that reality and it's most likely a pipe dream but a boy can dream 🙂

yea.. i hope THAT never happens. if anything nintendough should stop holding franchises hostage on their inferior hardware and let them sell the copies they should be selling. xenoblade chronicles x is easily among the best jrpgs i have ever played, sadly the vast majority of people have no clue it exists because it was on the wii u.

"ALL" means ALL. its not even like he said "all OUR platforms" or anything. its already been ported to ps4/vita and switch, so minimal work would be required. ios and android are listed as platform for it too on its wikipedia page.

That doesn't change that it hasn't been 100% confirmed those consoles will be releasing PSO2. Otherwise Nintendo/Sony would have mentioned it. Also Sony has been quite strict in censorship these days, and if they wanted to localize it, they would have done it long time ago before Microsoft did. So yeah it's a grain of salt really.

@LapisWave uh.. as far as we were told (for the past 8 years) the reason it wasnt released here had nothing to do with localizing and everything to do with not having a publisher for the market.

@MEGAF1UX , PSO2's planned 2013 localization was to be published by SEGA of America and handled in a similar structure to Phantasy Star Universe which had SEGA of America operating their own separate servers and getting updates from SEGA of Japan.

SEGA of Japan, however, pulled the plug on the version for whatever reason and several key people involved with the game's localization were let go several key people involved.

Are people in Japan able to play it on the Switch using the Gamecube controller too? Like the good ol days? xD

Alas, Retro-Bit doesn't have wireless Dreamcast controllers yet.

@IndefinateArdem said in Any plans for a Switch port?:

Alas, Retro-Bit doesn't have wireless Dreamcast controllers yet.

i mean.. dreamcast controllers werent THAT good. definitely an important stepping stone, but the xbox controllers are SO much better.