Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship

@Ashlette-Era said in Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship:

The CCP yep

More like the C"C"P.

@Monomate said in Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship:

I don't agree with the pro censorship about vulgarity.

Wait who wants the vulgarity in an M rated game censored now?

@Monomate said in Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship:

Aika speaks highly of her escapades in the Earth world and Itsuki's friends but you wouldn't know specifics unless you watched PSO2 the Animation or listened to the numerous Japanese only dramas.

If you had never seen the anime, you'd most likely hear her say that and be like, "Huh, must've happened off screen. Neat."

There's actually one point where she 100% flashes back to events that happened two points of the final episode of the first anime that happened 200% off-screen that were implied Capture.PNG but never seen.

@Monomate IT depends on how hard you draw the line on the censorship.

Something like someones head getting cut off on screen changed to a silhouette where you see the head getting cut off for instance is an ok censor.

Or someone getting shot in the head and them panning the screen up before you see the BANG is an ok censor too.

As for the context of what Kohri goes and says about sweat? I would have been fine if they changed what her translation says to mention perfume or something else.

Sure it makes no sense if you know the original context but honestly, it's an OK change and leaves the people who likes the japanese audio and text the same context as the original, and tbh I think less than 10% of us read or understand japanese on a basic level.

But outright removing a funny scene which people would most likely laugh at cause SOMEONE might get insulted due to various reasons (Insecurity coming to mind first) is just mind boggling.

We actually had this big problem in finland recently where things were discussed to be censored and changed such as Fazer's GEISHA chocolate.

BEcause apparently some troll said it was insulting towards Japanese and asian people, the same with the Eskimo ice cream.

But since it was discussed, these changes never went through and people from japan and asia actually commented on the Geisha debacle and ultimately stopped the name change.

@SleeprunnerInc said in Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship:

@Monomate IT depends on how hard you draw the line on the censorship.

Something like someones head getting cut off on screen changed to a silhouette where you see the head getting cut off for instance is an ok censor.

Or someone getting shot in the head and them panning the screen up before you see the BANG is an ok censor too.

As for the context of what Kohri goes and says about sweat? I would have been fine if they changed what her translation says to mention perfume or something else.

Sure it makes no sense if you know the original context but honestly, it's an OK change and leaves the people who likes the japanese audio and text the same context as the original, and tbh I think less than 10% of us read or understand japanese on a basic level.

But outright removing a funny scene which people would most likely laugh at cause SOMEONE might get insulted due to various reasons (Insecurity coming to mind first) is just mind boggling.

We actually had this big problem in finland recently where things were discussed to be censored and changed such as Fazer's GEISHA chocolate.

BEcause apparently some troll said it was insulting towards Japanese and asian people, the same with the Eskimo ice cream.

But since it was discussed, these changes never went through and people from japan and asia actually commented on the Geisha debacle and ultimately stopped the name change.

Oh yeah, Twitter drama and current "anti-racism" trends.

That could also play a role in some delay from Episode 3 to 4 release as well, considering how short the whole thing is.

Although I'm not entirely sure how characters in a bathhouse with anime over the top cliches could be considered as such, but with how easily words or scenes can be twisted, it wouldn't surprise me to be a last minute cutting room floor kinda deal as well.

@Monomate Could you, or someone else here tell Matt to unblock my account. He's not getting full context.

He an I had past disagreements, and I'm at this point guessing he blocked me over them. Which is fine, but certain conversation, specifically the part he quoted from ours, won't make sense to him taken out of context. Even just quoting me from my earlier post, and showing him the context of that statement would be helpful.

Edit: It's finally cool enough to sleep, so I'll see any replies tomorrow.

@MasterDarkwingz Trust me, everything can be twisted to be something evil or offensive.

Your name for instance someone could twist it to mean something like You think other coloured wingz are lesser than you.

Honestly it's so frustrating when everything is taken outta context.

i prefer 100% uncensored, and those that don't can kick rocks and do their own censoring in their own way via blocking or w.e or maybe sega can add a censored mode for those people, which should keep everyone happy, that being said those that disagree with that kind of system are simply people trying impose their agenda/morals on others.

i dont think anyone is against a system like that coming eventuall but not right now when they are working on ngs and the team doing localization is prolly 5-10 people tops

@dragonelete In that case, they should really not be wasting time censoring stuff when they don't really need to do so.

Toggle censorship system! Only solution and if you don’t agree to it then your agenda is to force your perspective on to others. If you think otherwise you are a hypocrite!

@RainGnyu Or perhaps they understand the resource cost of designing a system. If you believe it is possible to design such a system with a few lines of code, no database modifications, etc. then please enlighten us. I would be very interested if this was possible

It a perfect world with infinite time and resources, I would agree to it, but we don't live in such a world. Such a system generally has to be planned out early on in a game's development.

I feel like Sega has likely been going through on a bit of a crunch in regards to NGS development considering how there is a not so subtle link for applying for a position, with one of positions looking for people with proficiency in C++ and C#, with C# being the main qualifying skill.

Maybe we will have something like that for NGS, but unless it was planned out early, I wouldn't count on it. I already imagine that there were already significant restructuring done to make the interconnectivity between PSO2 and NGS work.

There is likely a small sub-team handling Global while the majority of the Phantasy Star Crew is working on NGS as NGS is very likely to be the top priority.

@RainGnyu said in Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship:

Toggle censorship system! Only solution and if you don’t agree to it then your agenda is to force your perspective on to others. If you think otherwise you are a hypocrite!

You can watch the removed cutscenes on youtube though.

It's one thing to criticize the removal of content you like. It's another to claim that the PSO2 NA team is forcing anything on people.

@Ashlette-Era There is a bit of a difference between watching it on youtube and in game. It also sets a precedent for additional censorship.

Also, I don't think RainGnyu is saying the PSO2 NA team is forcing things on people; I think he is trying to say I, and other people who share my opinion, am trying to force things on people by advocating for the scenes to be restored.

He has specifically called me out before.

@Archetype-Luna I don't know about that. The moderators don't appear to mind the youtube links floating around here. In addition, they are letting everyone talk and argue in this thread. That seems like the opposite of begetting more censorship.

@SleeprunnerInc said in Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship:

Fazer's GEISHA chocolate. BEcause apparently some troll said it was insulting towards Japanese and asian people, the same with the Eskimo ice cream.

The whole Inuit racial slur thing I understand but why is using "Geisha" in the brand name of chocolate considered offensive exactly? It's not even a beauty product (because if it was I would at least somewhat understand the rationale behind considering it offensive).

@Alineah said in Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship:

maybe sega can add a censored mode for those people, which should keep everyone happy

While I agree that the censorship should be optional for the most part (and even with that option they should least change or replace the bath scene so a Fazling newborn with the mind and body of a five year old doesn't feel up a teenager with said teenager responding by telling the kid to keep going (how is this not more sexual than a skimpy outfit? Did every anti-censorship person here just collectively decide to not consider why she wanted him to keep going?), the idea that everyone can be made happy with something like this is insanely idealistic (I say idealistic and not optimistic because I am a realist, not a pessimist).

Remember when Fire Emblem added the option to disable permadeath? Remember the backlash to people asking for an easy mode in Dark Souls? (even though history has long past proven that this would only serve to improve game sales and and only a select few opposed to the idea would actually stop playing the games, (in fact, I'm entirely certain most of the anti-cencorship crowd here (to be clear I'm mostly netrual myself as I don't like the restrictions to the height slider but as I've stated multiple times in this thread, I am opposed to bath scene as it played out, I'm also opposed to Al being naked when he first appears but no one seems to care about that being censored anyway) are still playing the game))

@Ashlette-Era It's more that there can be some different dialogues based on what dialogue option you pick and also a matter of how wide spread knowledge of the scene is. Most people will not likely be aware the scene exist and thus would not look it up as they would not know it was censored. That is what I mean by there being a difference between watching it on youtube and watching it in game.

and even with that option they should least change or replace the bath scene so a Fazling newborn with the mind and body of a five year old doesn't feel up a teenager with said teenager responding by telling the kid to keep going (how is this not more sexual than a skimpy outfit? Did every anti-censorship person here just collectively decide to not consider why she wanted him to keep going?

@Mattwo7 What about Hitsugi acting as the sane person and calling Kohri out on her behavior? The scene does have counterbalances.