Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship

I am not hip with the lingo popular with the kids or the internets these days and do not know what QFE is.

When I saw the purple blood, I thought to myself, "Is... is she an alien?" lol

@Monomate My apologies for misinterpreting you then. The opening of your post seemed aggressive enough that I took it as another dirty jab like the ones that were being thrown around like confetti in the other locked thread. Saying that companies don't owe their customers anything is one of the lead-ins I usually see on posts made by the more blindly devoted of fans, so I overreacted. I'm with you on your feelings about the scene; I just have "don't remove content only in one region" as a higher priority if there's no active harm being done.

@Mattwo7 You're misunderstanding me. I mean leave the height the same and just fudge the numbers. Maybe even just make it a 1-10 value scale. Proportions with regard to the world in-game are so screwy that I doubt people would notice unless someone pointed it out specifically. Look at the chairs in Alliance bases. They're HUGE. Most of the female NPCs are also much shorter than I expected. My first thought was that the males were just really tall, but turns out that they're average.

@Monomate said in Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship:

do not know what QFE is

Quoted for emphasis.

When I saw the purple blood, I thought to myself, "Is... is she an alien?" lol

In-universe it's probably because of the sword considering the wound is emitting the same Mother Cluster particle effect as the sword.

@AiC-L

Regarding support of cut content and those that oppose cut content, you can consider me a moderate. I usually don't care one way or the other but I do lean in certain directions of the argument depending on context. In the case of this one bath scene, I'm supportive of the trim but if they left it in, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me and I'd just forget about it as I continue through the game. I don't know or care about what the other bath scenes are about since I've never seen them and have no intention of watching them unless they are implemented in the game proper that I am playing.

@Mattwo7

That makes sense. That sword was incredibly sparkly. We need a glam of that one of these days.

@AiC-L

Regarding support of cut content and those that oppose cut content, you can consider me a moderate. I usually don't care one way or the other but I do lean in certain directions of the argument depending on context. In the case of this one bath scene, I'm supportive of the trim but if they left it in, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me and I'd just forget about it as I continue through the game. I don't know or care about what the other bath scenes are about since I've never seen them and have no intention of watching them unless they are implemented in the game proper that I am playing.

@Mattwo7

That makes sense. That sword was incredibly sparkly. We need a glam of that one of these days.

I'm mostly on the side where while the scene might be important for character personality, it might not be worth fighting for to see legally in official terms, if Japan already gave us good warning as to the fact that Story 4/5 would be bad in the first place.

Also, heh. Just thought of a new nickname for Al- Photon Copy.

But that purple blood was in a prior story, as well. I don't remember which one. Also reminded me of Danganronpa.

@MasterDarkwingz said in Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship:

But that purple blood was in a prior story, as well. I don't remember which one. Also reminded me of Danganronpa.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that thought. Was wondering if the next story would be about trying to escape the horrors of school.

We will.

Just thought of a new nickname for Al- Photon Copy.

More like Photon Falz Aru

Also reminded me of Danganronpa.

Where did you think I got that joke in the first place?

Course unlike Cursed Sword Gram creating ether wounds, the blood is canonically red there if DR3: Future is any indicator. (Apparently there's dialogue describing it as red in the games too)

Heh heh. Westernization, localization and content trimming in general is a finicky mistress, especially to a game series that has disappeared from the west for years and suddenly reemerged. If you've ever watched Pokemon, you'd get enough badly rendered jelly filled donuts, sandwiches, etc to make you hungry.

Heh heh. Westernization, localization and content trimming in general is a finicky mistress, especially to a game series that has disappeared from the west for years and suddenly reemerged. If you've ever watched Pokemon, you'd get enough badly rendered jelly filled donuts, sandwiches, etc to make you hungry.

It's so bad that even Pokemon's official Twitter made fun of it.

The whole PSO2 censorship ordeal would probably make good meme material, if it was SEGA's jam to join the self comedic bandwagon.

It's so bad that even Pokemon's official Twitter made fun of it.

Well memes and fandom in-jokes are a key aspect of the whole "corporate personage" shtick. You probably couldn't count how many times the Sonic twitter referenced "gotta go fast" on your fingers.

c29.png

@MasterDarkwingz

I was just about to mention the Sonic twitter and was ninja'd by Mattwo7. D'oh! Sonic twitter memes on a lot of content besides his own franchise so I'd expect once we're a few years down the line, they will look back at this and have some fun with it.

@SleeprunnerInc @MasterDarkwingz

Nah, the Steam forums are as bad as they are because the mods don't prune the nonsense when it starts and let people have their tantrums. If there is proper moderation, you can catch an argument, ban or warn the offenders and let people continue like normal. Adding a small edit here. Proper 24/7 moderation costs money. I can see this as a reason why forums become as bad as they are, because they don't staff enough people for the job. The FFXIV forums are a cesspool but they are at least decently moderated. I'd say they're on a higher level than these or the old Sega forums ever were.

This is the result of how things are setup. The Steam forums are not overseen by the same community team and moderators as PSO2's. PSO2 has nearly all of its management done by Sega of Japan with an external hire, ESTsoft, being the one responsible for managing the game's Community Team for PSo2 Global; handling things like Customer Support, Social Media, Forums, Moderation, etc.

However, Sega Europe is the one who manages Sega's Steam publisher account is managed by Sega Europe (As Steam is not that popular in Japan and as a result, Sega of Japan mainly makes PC Steam ports for the Western market). Now mind you... all this means is that Sega Europe sets up the Steam page, Uploads the base game client and oversees the Steam forums... they have no hand in the game's management at all as once you launch the game the game downloads patches from SOJ's servers and connects to the same Azure servers managed by Sega of Japan.

As a result of this setup... Sega Europe's moderators and management team actually know EVEN LESS as to whats going on than ESTsoft does. I'll say this right now... any posts on the Steam forums to get the developers to acknowledge something will be in vain.

I am not doubting the snowball effect of staying silent. These endless topics are one result of that decision. But staying silent is an option nonetheless. Phantasy Star is not the fanbase's intellectual property. It is Sega's. As Master Darkwingz said, it is also possible this could be the work of the Japanese devs who decided to trim portions of our version to appeal to our majority. We do not know unless Sega tells us, and for something this trivial, I can see why they choose to stay silent.

Given how involved Sega of Japan are with PSo2 Global down to the implementation and development of the new Global-exclusive features like the Fresh Finds, Mission Pass, Independence Day Event, and so on and how any changes to the game would have to be made by them as they have the source code.... yeah, ultimately its super likely that the change was done by Sega of Japan.

I'd especially like to bring up that whenever Sega of America changes or alters something in their localizations they are usually very open about it...

@Leonkh99

Yep, absolutely. I know that their hands are most likely tied which is unfortunate since I do really like Steam. Those forums are just a dumpster fire and there can be no recovering from that unless they nuke several topics and temp ban some users.

SoA has been finicky about their communication. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't but mostly they seem to be the ones hyping up a project and then proceed as normal. You get a few troublemakers making a mockery of them in every single one of their twitter posts but so far I've only ever seen them say to contact customer support if a very angry fan hadn't received AC they paid for or some other bug. The Sega I know springs up random projects out of the blue that no one asked for like that new Super Monkey Ball game awhile back.

If you really want to see an angry fanbase, you should look into the Fighting Food Friends debacle.

Censorship occurs far more often than you think. See the Censored Eleven, Disney's censorship of pro-LGBTQ content in their children's shows (this seems to be fading thankfully), Disney's removal of pro-LGBTQ content in general to appease oppressive governments, "LGBT free" zones in Poland, etc.

You have to ask yourself the following:

What is the benefit of un-censoring stuff like Al's body or the bath scene?

Some things are not worth spending your energy on.

Sonic twitter memes on a lot of content besides his own franchise so I'd expect once we're a few years down the line, they will look back at this and have some fun with it.

Just as soon as Sega starts marketing the western release. >.> Maybe someone can bring it up on one of those Q&A things they sometimes do?

You know it is a bit weird to me that Eggman once adopted one of the askers as his son when I've met Pollock's son lol. (I don't actually pay attention to this twitter much mind, Pollock's son pointed this out in the Discord server I knew him from).

The Sega I know springs up random projects out of the blue that no one asked for like that new Super Monkey Ball game awhile back.

Reminds me of how people felt that they suddenly sprang the release of Panzer Dragoon: Remake on us even though it had been previously announced.

@Ashlette-Era said in Potential Reason for the Game's Censorship:

Disney's removal of pro-LGBTQ content in general to appease oppressive governments, "LGBT free" zones in Poland

It's probably mostly China considering what happened to Last Jed (which hilariously backfired spectacularly)... Or was it Rise of Skywalker that was changed? I think both?