Information about how long SEGA is supporting PSO2?

I've been searching both Google and the forums here for this information. I haven't been able to find anything. I've seen it mentioned in random posts on websites and videos that the game is being supported until 2024. I'm trying to find an actual source for this information though.

I was talking with a friend and wanted to share this info with them, and then realized I couldn't find any info related to this posted anywhere.

Maybe I'm searching with the wrong terminology which is why I'm not finding anything. I'm guessing this info has to be getting posted in English somewhere though since people seem to know about it. Does anyone know where this information is shared? It would be nice to know and have a place to reference for information such as this.

I'd recommend reading the 4Gamer interview from 2012 just before the release of PSO2 in JP. The machine translation by google is good enough to understand the meaning behind their words: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.4gamer.net%2Fgames%2F133%2FG013302%2F20120125058%2F

Their stance may have changed however in the 8 years. But I still believe some of what they said is true even for today's SEGA. Keep in mind, the Online R&D for SEGA is different from their other divisions. They don't specialize in making offline games like Sonic, etc. So keep this in mind if and when you read the article.

I would guess we don't learn about sunsetting plans until about a year before the date.

@Rantious said in Information about how long SEGA is supporting PSO2?:

I would guess we don't learn about sunsetting plans until about a year before the date.

Most MMORPGs don't have sunsetting plans. FFXI and World of Warcraft are the big examples. Yoshida, who is FFXIV's producer/director, even took over FFXI's production, and has made vast QoL changes that most veteran FFXI players could only ever dream of happening. You could even say that FFXI isn't even close to being put in the sunset. Considering the development team recently shared that they got out their old cut-scene development kit for major content coming soon.

Yoshida has also stated that there's at least up to FFXIV 7.0 planned. He also plans to keep adding jobs even after FFXIV's main story ends. (Which is already the case for FFXI, which had jobs added even after its main story ended.)

I wouldn't mind seeing PSO2's Successor classes be able to choose sub-classes by doing a special client order at a certain high level.

@coldreactive yeah, with the class system like it is, I think pso2 has the option to run out the clock for a while. I'd be surprised if we didn't make it to 2024 and would not be surprised if we didn't make it to 2026.

@Rantious said in Information about how long SEGA is supporting PSO2?:

@coldreactive yeah, with the class system like it is, I think pso2 has the option to run out the clock for a while. I'd be surprised if we didn't make it to 2024 and would not be surprised if we didn't make it to 2026.

I wouldn't recommend lumping PSO2 with other free to plays to be honest. A lot of the game's features are locked behind Premium, and I kind of hope it stays that way. Not just to battle RMT, but to help keep the game being developed. As the GMs have said, rather recently (on the forums) I might add, they are putting forth the ideas we give here to the people at SEGA and are having them look over said ideas to perhaps get them implemented in not only our version, but the JP version as well.

@coldreactive said in Information about how long SEGA is supporting PSO2?:

I'd recommend reading the 4Gamer interview from 2012 just before the release of PSO2 in JP. The machine translation by google is good enough to understand the meaning behind their words: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.4gamer.net%2Fgames%2F133%2FG013302%2F20120125058%2F

Their stance may have changed however in the 8 years. But I still believe some of what they said is true even for today's SEGA. Keep in mind, the Online R&D for SEGA is different from their other divisions. They don't specialize in making offline games like Sonic, etc. So keep this in mind if and when you read the article.

Oh wow, i didn't realize the information was from an article so old. That might explain why I was having trouble finding anything. Thank you for the link! 😄 I'll definitely take a look at it.

Until PSO3 launches in Japan I hope. I want this game to be a successful so we don't have to play on the JP server as the only option

@redPG said in Information about how long SEGA is supporting PSO2?:

Until PSO3 launches in Japan I hope. I want this game to be a successful so we don't have to play on the JP server as the only option

I would think when you say this, you would mean it would hopefully launch in NA at the same time (or close to it).

@BlackRadient yeah within 6 months hopefully sooner

@Photon_Cat and @coldreactive , I will pull up a source at a later time but apparently the dev team are saying they may not stick to their original 10 year plan and may go beyond that. This came up around the release of Episode 6...

@Leonkh99 I remember reading that as well. Can't really see this ending anytime soon. Only reason should end is PSO3

@Leonkh99 I remember reading that as well. Can't really see this ending anytime soon. Only reason should end is PSO3

And they might even develop it side by side. Like FFXI and FFXIV. Or Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.

@coldreactive said in Information about how long SEGA is supporting PSO2?:

And they might even develop it side by side. Like FFXI and FFXIV. Or Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.

I would hope so. Otherwise this experience is fruitless.

stands to reason as long as its pulling in $$ itll stay up.. right?