Cant start on steam. GameGuard problem?

I just downloaded the game on steam, but it wont let me on. The launcher starts, it updates any everything, but when i hit Start Game, it shows the GameGuard window for a split second and closes outright. I've tried deleting the windows store version, i've tried messing with settings, but i dont know why it keeps failing to launch.

I downloaded the game on steam steam and also windows store but the download failed

Only have the steam version. It doesn't even give an error.

Have you set your "steamapps" and/or "PHANTASYSTARONLINE2_NA_STEAM" folder as an exclusion in Windows Security? Even if you have it deactivated, Windows Security (and any other anti-virus or firewall) can sometimes kill Gameguard.

@AndrlCh said in Cant start on steam. GameGuard problem?:

Have you set your "steamapps" and/or "PHANTASYSTARONLINE2_NA_STEAM" folder as an exclusion in Windows Security? Even if you have it deactivated, Windows Security (and any other anti-virus or firewall) can sometimes kill Gameguard.

When i checked, it looked like it did that automatically. Is there a specific somewhere or something i havce to do for gameguard in particular? would it be under a different name? I've already allowed the whole folder past my AV

@Azure-Nova Usually just having the game's directory excluded is enough, but you can also try specifically adding "(Directory you have Steam games installed to)\steamapps\common\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2_NA_STEAM\pso2_bin\GameGuard" and/or all the files in it to the exclusions.

And again, even if you have Windows Security disabled and are using a different AV, you still have to do this in Windows Security; it's just dumb that way.

If that doesn't work, then something else entirely might be blocking GameGuard from starting.

I dont know if it was adding each EXE in the folder to my allowed apps list or what, but its finally working. Thank you for your advice