The censorship on being short should be removed.

I'll toss some thoughts here. So don't read em if you are not ready to stomach it nor have the thick skin to handle some raw Internet.

You have been warned.

First. @Lemon-Sama I know my Tera. No, they are NOT 1000 years old. Lore states they live fairly human life spans. BUT, they are not born like other races. They are created "as is" by one of the goddesses, so you won't know if you speak with a 3 months old elin or an 80 year old one. Still yeah, LOTS of elin players in that game.

Now here comes the salsa. For those who can't stand short or child like characters in video games, avoid these games. Tera, Blade and Soul, Lineage 2, Aion, Champions Online, DC Universe, Soul Worker, Elsword, Black Desert, Dragon Nest, and while not online anymore, PSO1, PS Portable 1 and 2, among others that are not mmos. The list is actually quite big actually if we add offline or non mmo games (Arcana Heart and Neptunia series anyone?). And it doesn't stop there. On mobile we have a few too. Dragon Raja, Lineage 2 revolution, Toram Online, Alchemia Story, Rise of Nowlin, Talion, and an also pretty long list of games that are readily available for NA players to go to.

Now for the actual topic of this thread. I'm almost 100% sure the censor will never be removed. It's obvious Sega prefers to just let users rage in the contained bubble that is the forums and social media, bat an eye at the whole thing, and keep selling their cash currency.

Why, my assumption is, while I completely disagree, and will always disagree with censors, I also understand that NA views on a bunch of things are very different from JP mindsets. So I suppose Sega, despite being the company that released stuff like the Tonnio/Linna ship not long ago (a stint which ended with a character that looks almost like a toddler getting pregnant), and despite giving us super short characters in the previous action based Phantasy Star games (and in those games as you went down the slider, head and eyes became bigger automatically), may have now looked at the situation and for ONCE, thought to censor the portrayal of player editable child like characters in their video games. Though in this case I assume those chair/pole dances and all those ridiculous, distasteful and actually disgusting vehicle butt up poses for females may also have something to do with it.

As for Loli, the one only original meaning of loli comes from the Lolita novel, which regardless of all the accolades it received for being a well written tragic drama, it's all about a middle aged man who abuses an underage girl. So yeah, loli fashion and all that, while now separated from the root, did come from those dark origins.

EDIT: Oh, and to make something clear before someone labels me a criminal again, I fully understand not every Japanese out there nor every American out there has the same mentality towards these things. Few countries practice "monoculture", and usually those that do, do it because they are dictatorships or something scarily similar.

@AzureCrownMalfest said in The censorship on being short should be removed.:

@Clain loli and lolita means the same thing but used differently i think. but if your thinking of the definition that plamp used than no he probably ripped that straight outta wikipedia which ultimately isn't known for its accurate information. And yes i checked wikipedia.

Than again the i could be wrong since the definition is all over the place so all i know is that loli should be defined as girl with a child like appearance or little girl same as shota(just swap the gender and thats what ya get).

My favorite thing about these kinds of topics is that when NA launched and had cut all the old-type weapons people were fine with that. Even if it's led to a weird balance issue where we're vastly over powered and there's almost no upgrade content for us for the entirety of episode 4. Not many people complained.

But height limitations and a cut story scene from what has since it's JP release been considered the worst part of the entire game? People crawl out of the woodwork again and again to cry about how the game is missing content and it's been censored as if being able to jerk off to little girls is the single most vital piece of "content" the game had to offer.

It's hilariously transparent.

@Nuebot said in The censorship on being short should be removed.:

My favorite thing about these kinds of topics is that when NA launched and had cut all the old-type weapons people were fine with that. Even if it's led to a weird balance issue where we're vastly over powered and there's almost no upgrade content for us for the entirety of episode 4. Not many people complained.

But height limitations and a cut story scene from what has since it's JP release been considered the worst part of the entire game? People crawl out of the woodwork again and again to cry about how the game is missing content and it's been censored as if being able to jerk off to little girls is the single most vital piece of "content" the game had to offer.

It's hilariously transparent.o

The people claiming what if pedos when the topic is just about wanting to make cute adorable characters. Though they are the only ones sexualizing and bringing up in real life children.

@Nuebot That's because those who needed to raise the issue (the JP players) needed to bring it up but weren't loud enough I guess. As it is, new players see no issue because they never experienced the old progression. Instead, we are left pretty much asking why we were doing so puny damage one day, and the next we were one shotting stuff. The height issue is a bit more visible to newbies. More if you toss the word "censoring" with it. It's a recipe that creates rather stinky fireworks.

Maybe it's because the old-type weapons are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things; its temporary equipment that would be replaced, whereas the height limitation is a permanent aspect of your character?

@ZorokiHanuke Thanks for mentioning that. I was gonna say, I thought the term lolita stemming from the novel was fairly common knowledge. lol

@SweetChilliHeat Nothing cosmetic in the game is permanent. If they removed the cap tomorrow, you'd still be able to alter your character's height. You do need a pass to do it, but they hand those out pretty often.

@ApollosAmour I knew they were sorta used differently but i didn't know that term came from novels but than again i was never one to read books, too many words lol.

@AzureCrownMalfest While Wikipedia is not the one all source of accurate info, it sometimes does a good job. I also read that wikipedia article and coupled with other things I found on the subject long ago, I can say there are 3 main themes running here.

1. The novel I mentioned before, is the root of the denomination.

2. Lolita Fashion is a cosmetic trend going on mainly in Japan. It is not sexual in nature and aims at dressing cute. Gothic Lolita is the Victorian vatiation that uses outfits from said era to complete ensembles.

3. Lolita complex goes back to the sexual innuendo theme, and refers to adult men who view underage girls as more than just children. Of this, there's the Otaku variant who limits himself (on a very fine line) to only fictional characters. regardless, These are the ones called creeps. So if someone tells you that you have a Lolita complex, they are flinging a pretty bad insult towards you.

Hope this clarifies it for everyone. Now, as I said before in another thread, if the censor remains, it won't make me leave the game (there are other more important issues like the region lock annoying me enough). But also I don't like censors much, as they usually prevent the full view of an art piece as intended by their original creator. And games are art. Also, I want my mini gundam and my short underdog dude. I mean, who doesn't want to be Little Mac once in awhile?

@ZorokiHanuke u are a godsend dude.

@ZorokiHanuke said in The censorship on being short should be removed.:

I mean, who doesn't want to be Little Mac once in awhile?

Or a bootleg Dwarf 🙂

f47eb841ec4bacd92585fcdf7dabfe073b0eff1ef31816025dc41f9dd07714ef.jpg

@SweetChilliHeat said in The censorship on being short should be removed.:

@ZorokiHanuke said in The censorship on being short should be removed.:

I mean, who doesn't want to be Little Mac once in awhile?

Or a bootleg Dwarf 🙂

f47eb841ec4bacd92585fcdf7dabfe073b0eff1ef31816025dc41f9dd07714ef.jpg

Awesome. That's what I'm talking about.

@Swordhaver said in The censorship on being short should be removed.:

People don't seem to really understand this.

Sega-JP, who has final say in the game, chose not to include characters short enough to look like children because they respect and understand the social expectations of a foreign country. Social expectations are a big deal in Japan, much moreso than free speech to them.

The 'censorship' you are seeing is due to the culture that creates the media you idolize so much.

It has nothing to do with that. Generally when something is censored in a game for a different country they are aiming for a specific rating. Usually T rating to appeal to a larger audience. It has nothing to do with "social expectations". Usually legal issues too but in this case it doesn't apply.

In PSO2's case it now has a M rating up from T and should no longer warrant any form of censorship. Aion has a T rating a gets away with far more than this game.

People go on about how it's only height or only a small cringe scene in story mode but censorship in general sucks and it's really just a preview of what's to come. You think they'll only censor these 2 things? It's going to continue and we're going to get the "Chinese" version of the game. AKA censored garbage.

Plenty of people complained. People were talking about how "all the content" was already untrue. Hell I'm still trying to get the Coat Doublis camo as a replacement for the story reward weapon so we don't have to watch the player character use a weapon we can never get. Even threw up a thread after EP4 released with no change. The difference is that OT weapons really don't impact the game that much in the long run if you're not a fanboy or collector like me. That's an argument that actually makes sense. You convince people via logic. People don't like having things taken away or being treated as second-class, and they're also more likely to argue with those they see as not making any sense. Of course there's going to be a comparatively stronger push if the only excuses thrown around are weak garbage like "anyone who protests the removal of content just wants to jerk off to little girls" and "there might be bad people playing the game, so we can't give you this because the bad people might be happy".

You guys are purposefully missing and avoiding the point.

Everyone knows that there is nothing wrong with liking short people by itself. In fact, i like short girls myself.

It is also possible to appreciate short characters not from feeling attracted to them, but simply because they are adorable, case in point, the aforementioned FFXIV Lalafell.

No one is calling you a pedophile for liking short girls. I do not think that any of you is a pedophile

However, we do have a problem on PSO2 that is not met in similar games.

In most games where short characters are available, for instance, Tera and FFXIV, and i am mentioning these two because their small races made a lot of noise in their day, the character proportions and body types do not match those of a child.

Yes, they are cute, yes, they can be dressed quite forwardly, but no-one with eyeballs in their face can mistake those shapes, limbs, body/head proportions and overall look for children.

However, PSo2´s amazing character creator does allow and facilitate the shaping of characters like actual children and teenagers, and there´s an endless amount of fetishistic gear and accessories and costumes commonly worn by underaged individuals.

The problem is that in PSO2 You can make characters that are completely inappropriate and that should have no place in a MMORPG.

But that is not the only problem, because the issue is not just reserved to the appaerance of said characters, but their lack of presence/reason to be in the world.

In games like Tera or FFXIV, the small races are actually an integral part of the world, the economy, the geopolitical and social aspects of the entire planet.

You can see how they are all adults, and plenty of them are an integral part of the story, as queens, warriors, workers, builders, traders and politicians.

Not only they do not look like actual children but every single one of them has a part in the world and they are treated and visibly represented as adults.

PSO2 does not offer the same treatment for their inappropriate characters.

You need to understand that PSO2 is a very particular case, and you absolutely cannot compare the average Ship 02 loli to a Lalafell, it´s a completely different scenario.

You need to understand that while i am sure that every single one of you posting here is innocent and truly just wanted to make a cute, whole some character there are plenty of people who want to do otherwise, and uncensored PSO2 allows them to do it.

And you need to stop averting the gaze and ignoring the fact that it happened enough on PSO2JP during the last 8 years to be well known and discussed.

Microsoft did not pull the censorship out of their butts for no reason and with zero provocation, you are all intelligent enough to know that they had a solid reason to.

A game that publishes in the West simply cannot afford to allow that in their game.

And whether you like it or not it´s a fact that even Japan is starting to talk about it and making the first shy attempts at legislating what is permitted within it´s media.

Do understand that there will be every time more censorship, not less.

And while i understand and sympathize with everyone who is negatively affected by it, once again and for the last time there are very powerful reasons for it.

Maybe there will be one day when people use their common sense and will understand that "Can" is not equal to "should" but until that day, this is Censorshipville.