How would you like the story (and maybe substory) missions to progress in this game: Classic, PSU, Previous PSO2, or something new?

In my personal opinion I would like the story missions to have their own instances like classic PSO and even their own areas. Even though PSU was somewhat similar and have elaborate cutscenes play in between each area, but I like the idea of the story unfolding around while you were playing through the mission's instanced areas, like how you interact with the computers in the Mines of PSO where alot of good sidequests happen in there. It would also be neat if there are actual sidequests that actually have their own stories like the classic PSO.

As far as I know, PSO2's story structure was pretty weird, though I wonder how much of that actually improved before Episode 6 was finished. Well at the very least, I want to go through areas again in the middle of the story, but only when there's an actual mission happening in the story, not just meeting other characters in the middle of the field. The matter board system wasn't really all that fun from what I've heard, so I hope they don't go back to that.

I can't think of a new unique way of how the story would be progressing other than, probably allowing other players to help you fight bosses in the same area like an MPA, but not being able to hear or see the story stuff that the main player is going through an the main player will disappear along with the boss as they go on with the cutscenes of the story. That sounds... pretty complicated to make as well...

I'm not 100 percent certain how story used to progress in PSO2 before they separated it from the core loop. Were the sub quest custscenes part of NPC client orders and ARKS Quests?

@Merelambasted In the original version of Episodes 1 - 3, cutscenes that were not in the Story Quests themselves would appear in single-party areas in the form of tablets that would appear in the field, with blue ones being what are now sub-story scenes and gold ones being scenes that progressed the story. Also, any scene that took place on the Ship would just trigger when you approached the appropriate NPC or area of the Ship (and if they were sub-stories rather than main story scenes, they could accumulate, and this lead to so many people getting stuck for minutes talking to Matoi if they accidentally got too close to her without having previously cleared out her scenes).

The majority of them would only show up when you were on the corresponding Matterboard, with a few being able to show up at any time (like the interactions with class trainers), and some would only appear in certain areas while others could appear in any area (and the background would change to match; like one time I viewed one in the Bar Lodos boss room, and Afin and I were just floating in the swirling water tunnel with no raft under us).

I think I would prefer the story to be handled mostly like the current JP PSO2 (Ep6), but with alot more playable content and no forced enemy level caps in the "hardcore" mode's level scaling. I also would like for more long term substories, like the substory for the Scion classes trainers (a substory that started on Ep5 and ended on mid~late Ep6).

@AndrlCh said in How would you like the story (and maybe substory) missions to progress in this game: Classic, PSU, Previous PSO2, or something new?:

@Merelambasted In the original version of Episodes 1 - 3, cutscenes that were not in the Story Quests themselves would appear in single-party areas in the form of tablets that would appear in the field, with blue ones being what are now sub-story scenes and gold ones being scenes that progressed the story. Also, any scene that took place on the Ship would just trigger when you approached the appropriate NPC or area of the Ship (and if they were sub-stories rather than main story scenes, they could accumulate, and this lead to so many people getting stuck for minutes talking to Matoi if they accidentally got too close to her without having previously cleared out her scenes).

The majority of them would only show up when you were on the corresponding Matterboard, with a few being able to show up at any time (like the interactions with class trainers), and some would only appear in certain areas while others could appear in any area (and the background would change to match; like one time I viewed one in the Bar Lodos boss room, and Afin and I were just floating in the swirling water tunnel with no raft under us).

Reading how it works again, really does make doing story missions sound pretty unpleasant to go through.

@Ezodagrom said in How would you like the story (and maybe substory) missions to progress in this game: Classic, PSU, Previous PSO2, or something new?:

I think I would prefer the story to be handled mostly like the current JP PSO2 (Ep6), but with alot more playable content and no forced enemy level caps in the "hardcore" mode's level scaling. I also would like for more long term substories, like the substory for the Scion classes trainers (a substory that started on Ep5 and ended on mid~late Ep6).

Those episode sounds like they're pretty fun to go through, so I hope they do improve on those on NGS' story mode. Dedicated sub stories with their own missions and structures that last throughout the game reminds me of FFXIV's job stories that seem alot of fun to read through. I watched most of the job story cutscenes of that game on Youtube and they seem like fun, even though Final Fantasy's traditional MMO style of gameplay is not for me.

If anything, if there are characters that you'll be able to partner with in the story I do wish they also have their own sub story missions to go through as well. Even if you progress through them like Phantasy Star Universe. I would also like to go through these stories to see how they build up the world. I'm still wondering how the communications with the aliens progressed over the last thousand years.