More gun types

My biggest issue with the game is the lack of gun diversity. In PSO there were 4 types of ranged weapons, Handguns, Rifles, Mechguns and Shots, and in PSU there were 11 whopping ranged weapon types, Rifles, Shotguns, Longbows, Grenades, Laser Cannons, Twin Handguns, Handguns, Crossbows, Cards, Machineguns, and RCSMs. PSO2 by contrast only has Assault Rifles, Launchers, Twin Machine guns, and Bullet Bows. While that’s the same number of ranged weapon types as in PSO, its worth noting that the most options a player can have at the same time is 3 ranged weapon types. RaGu has Assault Rifles, Launchers, and Twin Machine guns, RaBr has Assault Rifles, Launchers and Bullet Bows, and GuBr has Assault Rifles, Twin Machine guns, and Bullet Bows.

I have specifically ignored gunslashs in this argument because they really don’t feel like ranged weapons most of the time, as well as the fact that they are considered by the game to be Striking weapons color wise, but even if you factor them in, its nowhere near the 11 types that PSU had, or the 6 ranged weapons that PSU rangers could have.

Most of the time I make this argument, I am met with the counter argument that “there are custom skins that improve the variety”, and while they does increase the visual variety, it doesn’t help with the lower rare weapon advancement that players who prefer ranged weapons experience.

Now you might be asking yourself, “what exactly does rare weapon advancement even mean”. I’ll be honest, its not that easy for me to explain, but perhaps I can illustrate it. 25 7 star weapons.png Rangers alone have 25 7 star weapons, 8 of which cannot be obtained anymore. Hunters alone have 32 7 star weapons, 6 of which cannot be obtained any more and 5 of which have require codes or were part of a campaign. So that’s 17 for rangers, and 21 for hunters. Now, I wont lie, this isn’t a great illustration, nor is it the best way of quantifying rarity progression, the site I used is likely outdated, and going by stat requirements would be a far better way to track progress.

However, even beyond the progression, its worth noting based on http://pso2wiki.net ‘s weapon pages, there are, unless I miscounted, a total of 144 Rifles and 148 launchers, and 133 Partizans, 141 Wired Lances and 155 Swords.

292 guns vs 436 melee weapons, is a pretty big difference.

You forgot to count gunslashes as pistols. Since they're held like pistols / shot like pistols when used in ranged mode.

It looks like some of the "Talis" weapons are actually modeled after "Cards" from PSO/PSU: https://phantasystar.fandom.com/wiki/Cards_(Phantasy_Star_Online) (Which are a force weapon anyway.)

@coldreactive Except I did. Even if I were to factor them in, the fact that they are usable by both classes renders then irrelevant.

@Zerox9434 said in More gun types:

I have specifically ignored gunslashs in this argument because they really don’t feel like ranged weapons most of the time, as well as the fact that they are considered by the game to be Striking weapons color wise, but even if you factor them in, its nowhere near the 11 types that PSU had, or the 6 ranged weapons that PSU rangers could have.

Fair Enough ^^; You can do whatever you want with them. Cards still can't be counted as a weapon type against PSO2's Ranger/Gunner/whatever classes, since they're a force type weapon even then. We can't have "Infinite Range" on them due to how the game works now.

@Zerox9434 said in More gun types:

My biggest issue with the game is the lack of gun diversity. In PSO there were 4 types of ranged weapons, Handguns, Rifles, Mechguns and Shots, and in PSU there were 11 whopping ranged weapon types, Rifles, Shotguns, Longbows, Grenades, Laser Cannons, Twin Handguns, Handguns, Crossbows, Cards, Machineguns, and RCSMs. PSO2 by contrast only has Assault Rifles, Launchers, Twin Machine guns, and Bullet Bows. While that’s the same number of ranged weapon types as in PSO, its worth noting that the most options a player can have at the same time is 3 ranged weapon types. RaGu has Assault Rifles, Launchers, and Twin Machine guns, RaBr has Assault Rifles, Launchers and Bullet Bows, and GuBr has Assault Rifles, Twin Machine guns, and Bullet Bows.

Most of the time I make this argument, I am met with the counter argument that “there are custom skins that improve the variety”, and while they does increase the visual variety, it doesn’t help with the lower rare weapon advancement that players who prefer ranged weapons experience.

Now you might be asking yourself, “what exactly does rare weapon advancement even mean”. I’ll be honest, its not that easy for me to explain, but perhaps I can illustrate it. 25 7 star weapons.png Rangers alone have 25 7 star weapons, 8 of which cannot be obtained anymore. Hunters alone have 32 7 star weapons, 6 of which cannot be obtained any more and 5 of which have require codes or were part of a campaign. So that’s 17 for rangers, and 21 for hunters. Now, I wont lie, this isn’t a great illustration, nor is it the best way of quantifying rarity progression, the site I used is likely outdated, and going by stat requirements would be a far better way to track progress.

However, even beyond the progression, its worth noting based on http://pso2wiki.net ‘s weapon pages, there are, unless I miscounted, a total of 144 Rifles and 148 launchers, and 133 Partizans, 141 Wired Lances and 155 Swords.

292 guns vs 436 melee weapons, is a pretty big difference.

you left out slicers. i think the most important thing to remember though is that this is PSO 2, NOT PSU 2. so psu is kind of irrelevant. i dont disagree with your sentiment either, but i do whole heartedly believe its too late to fix it.

..i REALLY wonder why they left out slicers. could they not figure out how to code them or something?

@MEGAF1UX Slicers were neat in Normal and Hard against some bosses but I don’t remember them being in that much demand back in the day?

@MEGAF1UX said in More gun types:

this is PSO 2, NOT PSU 2. so psu is kind of irrelevant.

"PSO2 started development back in 2008, back then they were discussing whether the title should be PSO2 or PSU2." http://www.bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-producer-satoshi-sakai-addresses-his-foreign-fans/

PSU is relevant because they didn't set out to make either PSO2 or PSU2 specifically, they set out to make a new PS MMO. Personally, I think they should have called it PSU2 as the choice to have multiple planets is far more like PSU, as well as the fact that the SEED are not much different from the Darker. Heck, the only real PSO reference that stands out is the fact that they are called Arks and that there are MAGs, but they are pretty surface level references.

Ah, but this is really more for a discussion thread then a suggestion thread.

@Zerox9434 yea it would better be another thread.. but theres no beast transformations or suv weapons either. honestly i found psu to lack "sharpness" that pso had, all the weapons felt like they were made by nerf. i was just pointing out that slicers were ranged weapons though.

Sometimes less is more.

While I appreciate the point about rare weapon progression options, consider this. With the amount of content the NA version will have at launch, you will very quickly blow past the point where 7-9* (and even 10-12*) weapons are relevant.

@Ilúvatar said in More gun types:

Sometimes less is more.

While I appreciate the point about rare weapon progression options, consider this. With the amount of content the NA version will have at launch, you will very quickly blow past the point where 7-9* (and even 10-12*) weapons are relevant.

I started playing jp less than a week ago, have a 14star katana which more than doubled the dmg of my previous weapon. I just looked at market last night and realized I've been scrapping weapons that sell for 2mil each (from eq).

pso2 took the path of cutting down overall weapon types in order to make the remaining ones stand out more with extra mechanics and such. kinda like how Claws and Whips were fused together into the Wired Lance weapon type here. WL does things you'd want from claws, and does things you'd want from whips, and sometimes it does both at once!

all said and done though; I did some counting and I think they do need to add in one more gun and tech weapon in order for them to use every weapon type in a successor class (with the exception of gunblade and harmonizer, which if either of those get used for a successor class, they should each frankly be the only weapon that theoretical successor class can use in my opnion)