Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.

Just to clear up any potential conspiracy relating to "anytime soon,"

No, we don't know how worried SEGA Global is about Activision drama.

SEGA, while also based in California for the America division, is already busy in Japan with more difficult work in NGS.

Content revision is the more likely cause as to a response delay rather than a PR nightmare of one of the top companies.

All we can hazard as a guess towards the recent maintenance delays is that it was due to incorrect schedule predictions.

Regardless, our feedback was forwarded and still awaits a reply.

@MasterDarkwingz Noticed that in the discord picture, someone mentioned people talking about laws. Do people really think that the censorship is due to legal reasons?

Some people do.

@Archetype-Luna said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@MasterDarkwingz Noticed that in the discord picture, someone mentioned people talking about laws. Do people really think that the censorship is due to legal reasons?

It's the only logical hypothesis with the fact of Microsoft/Sony being involved in the process of platform exclusivity.

(Sony also owns Funimation, and oh buddy... that translation team is a whole other basket full of rotten eggs.)

The cutscene changes make sense as it's the global version and many parts of the world have different ages of concern so it's just easier to remove any risky stuff altogether

Though I want the height restriction remove it makes sense so people don't make child characters if they did so they will probably write something in the code that if you are below a certain height you can only wear certain outfits and clothing

Having the weapon name changed is stupid but people are easily offended over here

Even if the alliance restricted general rooms was a thing it won't work now

@Drakaina The thing is, there are games/media that are released in various parts of the world that are on par or go way further than what the cutscenes involved. Furthermore, there really is no legal issues as the files for the cutscenes were found within the game's files. If those cutscenes were illegal, it wouldn't even be legal to have them within the game files, as it would count as distributing it none the less.

In reality, there are no legal issues. I wrote this in the opening post:

The removed cutscene is overall tame and there are far more erotic things. An example would be Kohri's outfit during the end of Chapter 4 of Episode 4 and throughout Chapter 5. It is designed in a manner to resemble a BDSM outfit and specifically draws attention to her chest and groin; the outfit is far more erotic than the bath towels that the girls wear in the removed cutscene. Also remember that the game is rated M and there are far more explicit M rated games; take Senran Kagura for example. Yes, Kohri and Hitsugi are only 16, and thus are under the age of majority in a number of countries (US included), but so are many characters in Senran Kagura, again as an example. Senran Kagura goes uncensored on every platform except for Sony's and is available in many countries. This, combined with the aforementioned reasons, makes it unlikely for there to be any legal issue for the game to go uncensored. The more likely culprit is western cancel culture.

The only risk is really just cancel culture, which honestly would work more in favor of the game considering how when cancel culture went after animes like Shield Hero and Uzaki, it just made them more popular.

I know I'm against censorship

The only thing I want ask now how the gender assigned bathrooms work now it's gender has been removed

@Drakaina In the context of the scenes in particular in Episode 4, you can assume it's part of the Earth-culture slice-of-life anime world the game was really trying to build up. I personally didn't have too many issues with the scenes that were removed (their "exposition" was what I consider anime fodder for the sake of being anime fodder) but the thing that I never quite liked was that the game assumes the player already knows what happened (Casra confronts Xiera on her voyeurism as he knows she has spied on the Earth characters especially in more "sensitive" and intimate moments where they were bonding).

The fact that this is further referenced in Episode 6 (Xiera spies on Matoi and the Guardian, enough that she knows of what they are up to at almost all times when she chimes in on Kirito's and Asuna's appearance) as one of her character traits that the global version of Episode 4 attempted to scrub but left in anyways. If this was supposed to be censorship, it's a very incomplete attempt at it and if it was too sensitive for viewers (the sort of blind-folded clueless boy character accidentally touching somewhere because someone told him to reach out) I really feel like Sega could have gone through the localization effort to at least change out the context or adjust it similarly to how Hitsugi's lines were adjusted to refer to Al as being a stranger in her room rather than her referring to him as naked (like he was in the Japanese version).

But in that sense, I would definitely see Gender as something "relative" because Phantasy Star Online 2 largely didn't have much to do with it other than that characters who were distinctly male played male tropes and characters who were distinctly female played female tropes. The only characters I would really argue who actually had any "depth" that could have gone past this were characters who weren't exactly present in Phantasy Star Online 2 due to you having much more dialogue and story-related interactions with them (such as Gene and Ahktar/Aphtal from PSO2es). Otherwise I would even point to the Delta Valiant crew as an alternative team who definitely still fit the "typical anime team" vibe but gave enough context for each character to let them stand up whereas Phantasy Star Online 2 ended up scrapping more than half of its characters in subsequent episodes (characters like Filia, Klotho, Hans, and more completely being phased from the story post-Episode 3 to the point where Episode 6 is really a rotating cast of characters who are "still" popular with the player base).

@VanillaLucia said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

but the thing that I never quite liked was that the game assumes the player already knows what happened (Casra confronts Xiera on her voyeurism as he knows she has spied on the Earth characters

To be clear Xiera spied on Hitsugi on Earth a few times prior to the bath scenes and the player gets two or three two-option prompts to comment on it that are invariably ignored. The confusion is that in the substory scene Ready to Explode, Casra enquires about a protected file that Xiera specifically says was something like "that time in the bath". Xiera protected it as a privacy action (context only available by seeing both scenes) and the protection is what drew Casra's attention, causing his involvement in Episode 4 at all.

Without that context, Ready to Explode shows Casra calling Xiera out on something the player never sees her do. It's kind of a "...what?" moment when she acknowledges it as if we do know. Even though it'd have still been censorship, if they'd have just cut out most of the bath parts of the scene to only show their difficulty hiding Al when other students are heard it'd have allowed the Casra detail to be retained, but by chopping the whole scene this context is lost.

I believe I saw the bath scene when it was first out on global but that may just be the Mandela effect whether or not I did I do remember for certain though that I know that they meant the bath scene whether or not I didn't see it

@Drakaina said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

I do remember for certain though that I noon that they meant the bath scene

Ready to Explode was in one of the last Episode 4 chapter releases. The first bath scene's removal was several weeks prior to that and had been widely discussed by the time it arrived, so if you'd been reading much commentary about the game you'd have been aware of it from that.

@Drakaina You probably watched a video of those scenes on YouTube, as they fully dubbed all the scenes, just made them inaccessible by normal means.

@Drakaina You probably saw the videos I have in my signature and may have mixed it up with in game cutscenes. I watched the story like a hawk in EP4, and I know that they were never accessible.

@Archetype-Luna yeah is the Mandela effect for me as I never view them anyone else and I remember seeing them in game the Mandela effect is weird

@MasterDarkwingz @Weirdo Like when people argue about the legality of uncensoring the game, do they bring up how other games/media don't have to censor despite being at the same level or going further than PSO2? Or how the files existing in the client would be a legal issue if the content was illegal?