Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.

I was just assuming your post was "his name didn't mean anything", not "his name meant something but not anything important".

Wow, the thread got hit with a moon atomizer. Big shocker. Glad to see discussions are calmer. I took a break from the forums because they had become a bit depressing. Not trying to derail, just thought I'd pop by and say hi.

@Anarchy-Marine Tbh, I imagine it might be due to the current state of the game, basically what happened with elins on TERA. I was surprised too as the response I got from when I sent an e-mail on the closure didn't give me much hope.

@Akonyl said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

I was just assuming your post was "his name didn't mean anything"

No worries, it wasn't. 👍

@Archetype-Luna Well, to be fair, I haven't seen opinions on a game turn so sour so fast. Even people with patience, such as myself, or even Rain of all people are upset by the overall state of the game. Censorship was one thing, but the nail in the coffin was the most recent tone deaf survey. What's sad, is there were people willing to spend on this game, and plenty of them at launch, but many left to wait for more content to release, and those that stayed, are doing whatever to entertain themselves, and frankly, that only does so much. SEGA had something with this game, and they aren't exactly helping this game live up to its fullest potential. The thread being unlocked is quite telling, but reversal of the core censorship on this game, may be too little too late, unless the next few updates bring massive amounts of replay value on top of it.

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Those who fail to learn from history-

Recap on previous SEGA censorship:

Phantasy Star II: 6 changes video.

• Missing dialogue and backstory.

(Matches up to current PSO2 censorship trends.

Even if PR will throw a gasket, the missing Ep4 dialogue is key to character development and the player's immersion of the emotions.

The content was translated, dubbed, and completed.

The lack of presentation shows that someone with power has placed both ego and personal preference into the project.

Asking the JP devs for a rewrite of the dialogue in a more formal setting with different mannerisms is not only rude, but an option nonetheless.

Refusal to think ahead and no shown initiative shows a lack of competence and no confidence in the work that someone else in a different branch of SEGA has done long before your hands touched the keyboard.

You as the translator might not even understand how long it took to plan that content regardless of how much it looks unimportant or like filler content.)

• Sexual references were removed.

(Again, that matches current PSO2 localization and is crucial to the "strong language" and "sexual references" under ESRB Mature rating.)

• Not being able to coherently translate difficult dialogue of an NPC's refusal to clone someone due to something like cellular damage or cellular degeneration.

(Not certain that the ongoing issue with SEGA's translation lies with third parties here or what.)

• Name changes, title changes.

(Name changes could completely alter meaning. The title changes were to "make things exciting."

There is need for translators to tell the difference between literal and base terms such as when to leave "Hitsugi is a Tsundere" as it is under nerd culture comprehension and when to change it to "Hitsugi, you're such a Hot And Cold personality" under NPC dialogue heavy cutscene.

Note that Tsundere is much shorter and saves more space in a long dialogue or large UI as is translated through base term.

If translators aren't comfortable with the literal terms for PSO2 weapons/flavor text, then they aren't going to be as capable of accuracy and efficiency of player comprehension of dialogue or weaponry as a fan on the forums translating content for free.)

• Technological restrictions to textual limit.

(Is beyond fixed with today's era of technology.)

The impact which the removal of PSO2's Episode 4 can be described more simply as if the translator is entering the WoW storyline.

WoW's story is as fleshed out as FFXIV, but not all condensed in one easy and simple location to which the player can watch at any time.

PSO2 is sort of in the middle there with the two different streaming locations to watch the personality of Earth's characters flow.

One missing scene where characters have a heart to heart about emotions for the others; is one of many keys towards bringing players back into a game. And again, SEGA should at least put some effort into the removal of Ep4's content by replacing it with a more fleshed out version of dialogue and a setting with attire which will be approved for a Global audience at a Mature rating.

(Which can totally be towels, if we're going by ESRB logic for GTA's full on horn-dogging scene with a tactically placed camera angle.)

But the fact remains here that PSO2 Global has complete and utter shame of Japanese openness to sexual jokes. (Mature rated from ESRB.)

The players can feel the sanitation from a mile away, and they don't like the attitude they see in the translation team and SEGA staff by proxy.

Went in with the annoyed expectation of someone talking about PSO2 but calling it "Phantasy Star II" and came out of it surprised that the Youtuber was actually talking about THE Phantasy Star II. Hilarious! The one thing researchers need to watch out for is that most fan sites like to call Rolf's Japanese name "Eusis" but that form of the name has never been used in official source material. It's always been either Yushis, Yousis, or my personal favorite, the ever unfortunate Ψυσισ otherwise known as "Pseesees." Not the pizza.

lol

Glad to see that one was at least entertaining.

This may seem off topic, but there's literally so much else that NGS Global can plan for aside from focusing on censoring content.

I have another video to share which describes WoW's issues aside from the blasted media that is by far worse than SEGA getting slammed for lack of Key Master arcade game recall.

It's about a 30 minute "react" video that adds a bit more feedback to the original context of the "Man behind the curtain" sort of audience interaction that all video game companies experience.

So what can SEGA Global conclude from all this?

Here's one: Their censorship literally does nothing for the Japan branch.

In fact, Japan could probably use an additional team just for NGS development rather than a translation team wasting precious time on determining changes for censorship which only serves to quell the (dying) media machine.

Let's see if I can summarize that video:

• The grind to prevent fast growth in WoW is quite similar to NGS.

(Thus we have red box abusers going about wasting their time on treating the economy as the game rather than NGS.)

• Not all expansions are an improvement of content. Sometimes, expansions are merely reskins.

(Ring any bells with Oracle Renewal Scratches?)

• Some patches require "fat trimming."

(I can see this as something that base PSO2 can use for NGS as a more coherent re-scripting of the over-arching storyline of the Earth+Oracle era. Maybe it could involve some callback lore from the old games through more time-travel shenanigans for more plot artifact stuff.)

• Raid systems, optional fights, and streamlining isn't always great.

(Urgent Quest recognized that reference.)

• Know what people like about Phantasy Star series.

(Storyline and all the content, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. I thought that was rather obvious by now.)

• Retention systems are the lazy developer's easy way to losing profit margins when players get bored.

(NGS players are indeed bored, or else there wouldn't have been a survey asking why players aren't paying for a $100 Motion only usable in the NGS zones. If you're going to refurbish base PSO2, you'll have to do a rush job at this point of release.)

@MasterDarkwingz said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

Here's one: Their censorship literally does nothing for the Japan branch.

In fact, Japan could probably use an additional team just for NGS development rather than a translation team wasting precious time on determining changes for censorship which only serves to quell the (dying) media machine.

Let's see if I can summarize that video:

• The grind to prevent fast growth in WoW is quite similar to NGS.

(Thus we have red box abusers going about wasting their time on treating the economy as the game rather than NGS.)

• Not all expansions are an improvement of content. Sometimes, expansions are merely reskins.

(Ring any bells with Oracle Renewal Scratches?)

• Some patches require "fat trimming."

(I can see this as something that base PSO2 can use for NGS as a more coherent re-scripting of the over-arching storyline of the Earth+Oracle era. Maybe it could involve some callback lore from the old games through more time-travel shenanigans for more plot artifact stuff.)

• Raid systems, optional fights, and streamlining isn't always great.

(Urgent Quest recognized that reference.)

• Know what people like about Phantasy Star series.

(Storyline and all the content, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. I thought that was rather obvious by now.)

• Retention systems are the lazy developer's easy way to losing profit margins when players get bored.

(NGS players are indeed bored, or else there wouldn't have been a survey asking why players aren't paying for a $100 Motion only usable in the NGS zones. If you're going to refurbish base PSO2, you'll have to do a rush job at this point of release.)

All of this was very well thought out and I agree with a lot of it. Feedback like this I hope Sega takes seriously going forward. The current state of NGS is pretty abysmal.

@Monomate said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

All of this was very well thought out and I agree with a lot of it. Feedback like this I hope Sega takes seriously going forward. The current state of NGS is pretty abysmal.

Thank you. I thought it was a bit overboard to blame the censorship team as so useless on a topic about censorship.

It's not that we the players would want them fired.

If anything, SEGA retraining them for checking the status of arcade machines in circulation across movie theaters, malls, or fairgrounds would be more resourceful given the amount of minor press recently garnered.

Just last week, the FTC slammed down the hammer on fear mongering companies who refused the right to repair.

I would be excited to see the censorship translation team going through that old arcade code/lore and workshopping some sort of Border Break sequel within the confines of the vast planets that PSO2 NGS and a thousand years of lore could offer.

What sort of vision would exist beyond AIS and Lilipa Mining Tower Base mechanics?

@MasterDarkwingz said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

Thank you. I thought it was a bit overboard to blame the censorship team as so useless on a topic about censorship.

It's not that we the players would want them fired.

If anything, SEGA retraining them for checking the status of arcade machines in circulation across movie theaters, malls, or fairgrounds would be more resourceful given the amount of minor press recently garnered.

Just last week, the FTC slammed down the hammer on fear mongering companies who refused the right to repair.

I would be excited to see the censorship translation team going through that old arcade code/lore and workshopping some sort of Border Break sequel within the confines of the vast planets that PSO2 NGS and a thousand years of lore could offer.

What sort of vision would exist beyond AIS and Lilipa Mining Tower Base mechanics?

Man, I went to the arcade just the other day and I forgot just how fun those old machines were. If we could get some Border Break love in the west that would be the icing on the top. Or at least ported to a console or pc. However, I feel that business venture may be a risky move right now seeing as Sega hasn't even released a Sonic game in God knows how long. Maybe when their pocketbooks are back in order, that could be on the table.

PSO2 has plenty of lore to sift through to give us entertainment. Given the vastness of space, a journey to other planets beyond the galaxy where the base PSO2 planets are located would be cool. Or explore the worlds surrounding Vandor from Idola PSS. Failing that, pull a PSP2i and allow us to travel between universes so we can explore Ragol, Gurhal, Algol. We have already determined that Alis and Lutz exist within the memories of Omega, which means that those universes existed somewhere, so the planets or at least the galaxy itself where they came from must still be out there and viably reachable with the proper tech in the PSO2verse. Given that we can travel to Earth of all places does not place this outside the realm of possibility.

Oh this thread is back!

I don't mind Excavator but it ruins all the Diggy Diggy Hole fun. It's not the worst thing they could change but I'm still of the mindset that if you let insignificant things slide, they start becoming a bigger problem until it affects something you do care about.

Because it's so difficult to explain how censorship is a linchpin in the start of how NGS is losing players,

I'm going to have to link a shorter video that only lasts five minutes.

All players wanted from base PSO2 was a faithful translation that added continuity to the storyline.

While Episode 4 can be re-scripted for Global audience and height restrictions can be revoked...

It will not change the current content drought in NGS.

People who are censored for the politics of certain countries will not as easily accept monetization or the team behind a game.

Hopefully I've given enough examples in this thread for the staff to draw solutions off of that are counter to unpopular trends set by Activision or EA.

Yeah, this is another double post.

But instead of advice, this is a status update post.

The update is that there is no update.

Screenshot_170.jpg

Censored version for off-site sharing: Screenshot_170.jpg

There I am at the top. I think I am the one that brought it up again.