Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.

@Pariah-Chan said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

Diggah’s name was changed to Excator, clever rebranding, but did someone actually complain about it? Maybe I should complain that Aina’s name sounds remotely similar to the word anus. XD

TBH I thought his name was a misspelled version of the earth techs in PSU, and also related to his "dig-a-hole" name in JP. Rip aina tho XD

I wonder if a renaming counts as censorship when there's no real significance to the original name. It's not as though "Diggah" has any subtle or deep lore connection to a theme or character the way things like Liberate did.

Unless something else no longer makes sense or a relationship was broken by the rename to Excator - in other words, if a reason exists for Diggah to be a better name - I'm completely fine with this one.

Yeah sometimes renaming might be a case of the translator just going, "I just really like this word." The FFXIV 24 man raids in Shadowbringers were announced under the name Yorha Dark Apocalypse. Someone asked why it was called that since the name never really showed up in the raids' story; Yoshi P just really likes the word Apocalypse. So maybe in a similar manner, the translator just liked the name Excator?

@Flowen231 @Pariah-Chan @Archetype-Luna @Miraglyth

Diggah had to be renamed due to live-streamers who had that name utilized against them as a bypass for the N-bomb.

The streams went so badly that the VoD had to be removed due to sponsorship deals.

I didn't watch the stream myself, but it was large enough of an incident that SEGA paid attention as closely as Square Enix did to Asmongold.

The Excator pun comes from Excavator, which holds similar meaning.

(Despite excavators actually being more tactile than a digger in construction terms.)

Searching for a meme to explain the differences between a digger and an excavator only comes up with Suez Canal memes. 🤣

I don't feel anyone just tagged needed that explanation? We were more discussing whether that change really construes censorship than why it was made. But I guess it's useful context for anyone who wants to jump into the topic.

Yeah, true.

I think it counts as the emergency PR measures I talked about before.

If it sat poorly with the livestreamer's sponsors, then SEGA would likely have gotten in trouble with the media as well if they sat around on the NPC's name.

I don't think it's necessarily censorship because they kept the pun aspect, but it was a rather quick and obvious reaction to a livestream which a majority of future PSO2 NGS players likely will never have seen the footage.

It should be safe to revert Excator to Diggah once there are more options such as Livestream Mode (No chat bubbles or logs) and Turn Off All Whispers.

@MasterDarkwingz said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

It should be safe to revert Excator to Diggah

Point being there's also no benefit in doing so. Unless we've missed something. There's nothing that makes Diggah a better name that Excator. It's not like removed innerwear options or limited height sliders that are an objective reduction in creativity and variety.

@Miraglyth said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@MasterDarkwingz said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

It should be safe to revert Excator to Diggah

Point being there's also no benefit in doing so. Unless we've missed something. There's nothing that makes Diggah a better name that Excator. It's not like removed innerwear options or limited height sliders that are an objective reduction in creativity and variety.

But it is a missed opportunity to call him Diggy and make more memes like the last "Put a Skill Ring on it" that translations took advantage of.

Honestly, it would've been funny that way for a few seconds and then quickly become stale.

Screenshot_159.jpg

alt text

@MasterDarkwingz It's kinda silly for them to change his name for that reason if it was really because people used it to replace the N-word that ends in an a, which isn't even the actual bad one. Because like then what? We censor every word that ends in the guh sound? Like giga, mega, omega, manga and any other word that ends in that sound that can feasibly come up in normal conversations in PSO2?

Even SEGA ends in that sound.

@Riesz It wasn't just bypasses, there were font changes going on as well.

There's a lot of hearsay, but I don't know if anyone took archival screenshots to prove just how bad the spam was.

@MasterDarkwingz What does that even mean font changes? Like the font of the text? Because like I don't think it's possible to make it appear differently to other people in the game unless they managed to get some special characters to work, that look like a different font but really aren't, mods that would change the font would be clientside (aka only the person using the mod sees it).

If you mean large text though if multiple people repeat the same message the text will be bigger in the next message. Or if it was symbol arts people can put literally anything in them.

I have no idea how it worked. The livestreamers probably can't say due to chances of a repeat.

Feedback for View Chat Bubble toggle option is throughout the official Twitter comment feedback.

The incident stream date: alt text

Tbh, it's a bit off topic, but the mistake here was that SEGA didn't give streamer accounts special UI options that would've been on a level lower than a GM or CM account. (In that it's unavailable to the standard user.)

So on a technicality, easily preventative mistakes which are missed can lead to censoring an NPC's name or other highly debated features.

(In the case of Diggah, he got an upgrade in his construction pun.)

Wizard 101 has Pre-Set chat options for minors and prevents them from seeing or using the Premium Service chat.

While that sort of feature would ruin things for current F2Pers in NGS and base PSO2, it would absolutely stop the bot spam with the 24 hour cooldown for the first purchase delay.

I can't say that any adult livestreamer would appreciate such a Parental Controls default: ON sort of feature either.

But it is an advanced moderation method for a Mature (17+) rated game which contains minimal 16 years of age in the PEGI system.

@Miraglyth said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

I wonder if a renaming counts as censorship when there's no real significance to the original name. It's not as though "Diggah" has any subtle or deep lore connection to a theme or character the way things like Liberate did.

Unless something else no longer makes sense or a relationship was broken by the rename to Excator - in other words, if a reason exists for Diggah to be a better name - I'm completely fine with this one.

Diggah's name had minor themeing, so it had some significance but not enough to really care about. He's the mining tutorial npc, so he's teaching you how to dig, even if you're not really going into the ground when farming minerals in NGS. So he's someone who digs, and I guess Diggah sounds slightly less bad than going with the more proper english word for "someone who digs".

That being said, it wasn't really lost anyway because Excator is probably a pun on Excavator, so he's still digging. Though I gotta say I'm a bit surprised someone cared enough to keep a mining tutorial npc name joke intact during a name change. Even if it was lost, I wouldn't bat an eye at it.

@Pariah-Chan said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

But on to NGS censorship! :3

Diggah’s name was changed to Excator, clever rebranding, but did someone actually complain about it? Maybe I should complain that Aina’s name sounds remotely similar to the word anus. XD

There’s 3 elemental Alter Lizards in NGS! One of each element!

Names are Lizard Ice, Lizard Lightning, and Lizard FRAY

...not fire? I’ve heard of old fire censorship in older media, but I hope this is an overt mistranslation. XD

Tongue in cheek comment aside, I'd like to add some input to combat some misconceptions about the localization in NGS.

Diggah > Excator

• Excator's official Japanese name is ディグホール, which is directly translated to "Dig Hole." Dumb name is dumb. Diggah is not much better but it does have a bit more character. Excator is punny and I like it.
  • See the current discussion for the potential thought process behind the actual localized name's change.

ALTERS lizards

• Official Japanese names: リザド・アイス (Lizard Ice), リザド・サンダ (Lizard Thunder), リザド・フレイ (Lizard Fray). These names were direct translations into the global version.

@Akonyl said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

Diggah's name had minor themeing [snip] He's the mining tutorial npc [snip] it wasn't really lost anyway because Excator is probably a pun on Excavator

So, what I said?