Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.

According to what on twitter? Play_pso2 or just player speculation? I know you said players were only speculating, just wondering if there was a play_pso2 post or something that said "oh there's an issue with the scratch, that's why we're emergency mainting" (and no specifics) that I'm not seeing with it.

Because I'll be pretty miffed if it ends up being the case, clione's basically the only item I actually was thinking about getting this time around.

@Akonyl said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

According to what on twitter? Play_pso2 or just player speculation?

Because I'll be pretty miffed if it ends up being the case, clione's basically the only item I actually was thinking about getting this time around.

The official cause is “unexpected error with upcoming 1/26 scratch ticket” on the maintenance page of news but on Twitter a few people are speculating it has to do with the outfits.

It could just be a baseless rumor but we’ve had a problem like this before fairly recently with the Seanna outfit I believe? Staff posting the wrong photo and the actual outfit being different.

Oh, gotcha I see that on the site now on the maintenance notice, I was just checking the play_pso2 tweets for it there.

That would be the other way around if that was the case. The posting of the image back then was a simple wrong image for something that was actually in the scratch. I most want the Clione basewear and the revealing China dress in this one, and hope nothing gets edited.

That said, back then, they actually took down the scratch ticket news post and put it back up when the image was corrected to the actual item. This one is still up.

Going by comments on the actual phasion tweet, the issue might actually be not with the outfits, but emote 245, which already exists as "Sway" that came in with the Proud Monarch line.

I'm pretty sure there has only been one case where they could have potentially censored something for being 'too sexy' and, but at the same time there have been multiple incredibly risque outfits that it is incredibly unlikely for a company to be this unaware of its going-ons, not to mention their biggest cash cows will pay out the nose for these outfits, which would far outweigh any potential negatives that could come their way.

Also catschief, like all other risque articles of clothing, wasn't censored in this latest patch either.

It has to do with certain camo saying it one thing but coded for another. Some people noticed it while others reported it. The Sangamori the Possessed camo was one of two. Not supposed to be on the market yet.

Ahh good to hear it was just another rumor! I kind of wanted the china dress.

Okay, whoever did the official PSO2 Comi translations just cut a big chunk of Japanese culture right out of a Japanese game.

I thought that cultural appropriation wasn't cool in this era's trends?

Because that's what removal of culture from a culture is, cultural appropriation.

Americanification was something that corporations did to my own ancestors, and it's not very respectful of the translation team to do something like this to their own boss company. Especially when a fan can translate the author's intentions in a very respectful manner.

Original Fan Translation:

Screenshot_11.jpg

The SEGA Global Version Translation:

Screenshot_12.jpg

@MasterDarkwingz said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

Okay, whoever did the official PSO2 Comi translations just cut a big chunk of Japanese culture right out of a Japanese game.

I thought that cultural appropriation wasn't cool in this era's trends?

Because that's what removal of culture from a culture is, cultural appropriation.

Americanification was something that corporations did to my own ancestors, and it's not very respectful of the translation team to do something like this to their own boss company. Especially when a fan can translate the author's intentions in a very respectful manner.

Original Fan Translation:

Screenshot_11.jpg

The SEGA Global Version Translation:

Screenshot_12.jpg

Wow that’s honestly gross, can’t have any Japanese hobbies or interests.

It really is disgusting that they would make it something completely different.

@MasterDarkwingz Both have things that sound better than the other, and neither are perfect if you compare and contrast. The better translation would, in my opinion, combine elements of both translations. I do agree Sutra writing is the better choice in my opinion, as anyone that knows what it is, has an understanding, and anyone that doesn't, might be inclined to find out about it, and learn something about another culture. Coming home late however, reads better than coming late. Business trip, home tomorrow reads better than, business trip - come back10/11, as its sounds more personal from a family member that way, and less robotic. Going somewhere after school makes more sense than school being undecided, as realistically that sounds like someone is contemplating skipping out on school, and nobody would be brazen enough to tell their family that. That's just at first glance, but there are ways that both translations could have improved upon each other in this instance alone.

I think the localization team should look at the fan translation, compare it with their own, and the combine the best elements in situations such as these, similar to how I just did, as both had good elements within, but both were heavily flawed, and missed something that the other version got right. Again, just my opinion on it.

This one is actually a nothing burger. In the original...

pce5.png

お裁縫教室 is sewing class, not Sutra

Original comic did refer to Tsuru/Grandma with her name, while the anime changed it to Obaa-chan (Grandma)

So it is correct and the fans just mistranslated it?

@Weirdo said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

So it is correct and the fans just mistranslated it?

It seems like the anime and comic had two different texts, but the fan anime translation was more proper in terms of cultural language.

The Global version of PSO2 Comi should instead include a mix of both for it to make sense for the anime translation release closer to NGS.

For example:

• Grandma Tsuru

• Sutra Writing and Sewing after Shopping

My family usually says things like Grandma/Grandpa Surname, and Forenames are usually familial terms in Japan, so I presume Tsuru to be the forename.

It makes more sense for an old lady to have her daily hobbies as a reminder.

I doubt someone her age would actually be taking or teaching a class if she's already home cooking at the end of the day and asleep at 9PM.

(Then again, I never had a grandmother in my life, so my experiences will be different from yours.)

The Coming Home Late correction is a good thing, though.

...that isn't cultural appropriation at all by definition (taking ones culture/cultural icon as their own for purposes of ridicule or portraying it in a poor light, either out of malice or ignorance of its significance), they didn't cut anything out either it's a dry as hell localization that kept things closer to matching the words 1:1 to english equivalents

The anime was a good localization because it didn't just translate it and have it make grammatical sense in english, they actually tried to simulate the feelings you were supposed to get when in japanese, since like with any language, there are many subtle factors to words that affect how they're perceived and used despite being incredibly similar. Add in how the actual culture the language originates from alters things further and it becomes hard as hell to keep the original feeling and context of a given scene. This is where localizers differ from translators, in that they need competency in the culture of the text/media and ongoing trends in addition to being able to translate the language and a good amount of creativity, since it's impossible to translate 1:1 and not lose some/most of the original meaning.

tldr: the translated webcomic we're getting is very poorly localized and feels lifeless as a result. It isn't a conspiracy to cut things out under Sega's nose for some sort of agenda related to removed bath scenes.