Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.

@ApollosAmour said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@Kaneco It's just localization. Any media produced by or for a certain culture is going to reflect the norms of the time, which change depending on history, politics, and so on. For instance, references to terrorism in media have taken a different tone in post-9/11 America. Prior to social media, there was still censorship regarding sensitive topics, like sex, religion, and so on. And as proven by previous posts in these threads, sometimes it's purely at the request of the creator as is the case with anime dubs when they're localized.

Thankfully PSO2's localization is fairly tame. Some outdated features have been removed, some things have been changed for unknown reasons, and others for reasons we can easily guess. As far as censorship goes, it's just been words pertaining to race relations and scenes depicting minors in states of undress. Given the state of the world right now, I'd say the first is very smart on Sega's behalf (to avoid stepping foot in the ring at all) and the second is wise given the world's general stance on the sexualization of minors.

I don't think there's any malice behind the changes from any involved or that it's done necessarily to pander. They're just conscious decisions on the behalf of the localization, which aren't made frivolously or without thought.

This is not localization. It is purely censorship.

While I won't tell people to shut up nor to stop their quest for or against censorship, I feel it's high time some some begin thinking about resting for awhile. Emotions have been raising to uncomfortable levels around some posters here, and I advice them to maybe hold up for a bit and rest their minds from the issue.

There are other things to do, and really, while advocating for one's side and making points known is great and should be done when possible, it's also true we shouldn't also throw ourselves so deep into it that other aspects of life are threatened as well. So go on, get some rest, take some deep breaths (5 seconds in, 5 seconds out), and clear your minds. The issues will still be there tomorrow, next month and next year.

I'm glad that my game bombed itself on NA/Global.

Reading these changes and stupid modifications has blown my mind on how hellbent Sega is to kill the global version.

Sure, there's still alot of people playing, probably a ton of people who don't look at these changes nor forums so hey, they got that hole.

But word does travel and imagine when the word starts going through twitter, tumblr, reddit etc on these subtle changes.

It's not a happy reaction.

At this point, I wish death to the global version by a thousand stink bugs.

I don't really play the JP version either since I'm waiting for NGS to release and then playing that on JP.

@SleeprunnerInc Are you living in a bunker or why else are you implying this hasn't already been brought up on those platforms? I've seen it pop up a couple of times on reddit, twitter even discord and they gain as much traction as the general people care for it, if you live in reality you'd know it is almost none. You need an actual sizeable chunk of people who care about this to start for actual real outcries to happen but I have really not seen any of that outside of this forum and the steam one to a degree, yet at the same time this is all blatant artificial outcry from the same 10 posters bumping and some even bringing this subject into even other topics that have nothing to do with this I'm sure a lot of people on this forum has seen.

And to be clear my wish would be for the game to be like JP, but I heavily value things like missing item localizations that just cut corners entirely over this first, yet at the same time I will not lose sleep if all remains as is and I fully expect it to. Playing on JP is the solution a lot of you are simply looking at this point and be glad for those who can't speak Japanese there even is such an extensive translation patch to do so with, something that might be taken for granted if complications possibly arise for not being able to do it in NGS or at least even it they do it's not like everything is going to be translated instantly.

@Not-A-Bear It's a part of every localization. The fan translation for JP makes changes in its localization that can be considered censorship as well. But the reason I don't think it's brought up is because the anti-localization crowd typically has a limited understanding of the language and the localization process and tends to see any change as negative, unless it's done unofficially.

@Vashzaron Exactly, I don't think many players care about this sort of stuff. Having combed through other game localizations, it's not the worst by any means.

The game should be as 1 to 1 with JP as possible with proper translation, all the changes just scream of censorship that is done by a modern "liberal" from San Fran.

@SternalVessel61 If that were the case, the nude kids probably wouldn't have been cut lmao

@ApollosAmour Why is blacklist now blocklist, why is slave now raven, why is master now handler. All these are dumb changes that you seem to be hell-bent on defending. Instead of changing stuff that was fine and a proper translation, they then miss something so obvious like Hero weapon bonus as Healing weapon bonus. They prioritize censoring the game over translating everything like flavour texts from all the weapons that now just say "This is a Sword", then how about Hero Material that only says "A brow".

@SternalVessel61 They're dumb to you, but that doesn't mean they're pointless or done without consideration. I personally don't mind them one way or the other, but I recognize how minor they are and won't be pulling my hair out over it anytime soon. I'm more concerned with addressing criticism from people ignorant on the subject.

Yeah, there are a lot of typos, but that's usually characteristic of a rushed translation. The nice part about the game being updated as often as it is though is that many of them are being corrected as they're discovered.

@ApollosAmour said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@SternalVessel61 They're dumb to you, but that doesn't mean they're pointless or done without consideration. I personally don't mind them one way or the other, but I recognize how minor they are and won't be pulling my hair out over it anytime soon. I'm more concerned with addressing criticism from people ignorant on the subject.

Yeah, there are a lot of typos, but that's usually characteristic of a rushed translation. The nice part about the game being updated as often as it is though is that many of them are being corrected as they're discovered.

Oh come on, these aren't typos. These are blind idiot translations. This is stuff that was run through Google Translate and maybe, just maybe, they had someone with a very minor understanding of English glance over them and do a tiny bit of editing. Arks-Layer has been doing an infinitely better job than these official translations for years. There is no excuse for the translations to be this bad. Heck, they've even pushed out multiple items without a name at all!

But yet they still find time to censor content because some crybabies might be upset by it lol

@ApollosAmour They haven't so far corrected a single typo, and it all starts from the small things "oh its just this small thing, I dont mind". And if they don't have time to do proper translation, why do they have time to go back and change wordings of stuff that was already correctly translated. Right now im only talking about the censorship that's in the translation but, even the hight and costume changes should be as they originally were. Every censorship should be called out and condemned at this day and age.

@SternalVessel61 "Royel" lol. They even have time to fix it with emergency maintenance, but they didn't. Absolute retard.

But, if there are English word for this that related to the map context. I will stand corrected.

As for me, I'll be waiting for the unofficial translation to be able to be used here.

@SternalVessel61 They have corrected some, like the infamous "Gods be, operative". It's all just a matter of the errors being logged and eventually fixed. That would also include other revisions to the script, like the recent "PSO2 Blocklist".

Thankfully none of the censored changes have been very important unless you're hard-pressed for certain words or nude kids/teens. The JP version with the fan translation is still always an option though if that is the case.

@Not-A-Bear Please, enlighten me on the translation. I assume you have the original Japanese script, as well as both the Arks-Layer and Global scripts available to explain how incorrect the translation is and you're not just blindly pitting one translation against another without any idea of what's contained in the source materials.