Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.

@MasterDarkwingz The issue in this case is more likely Sega not understanding Azure. In one of the interviews, they said they were still trying to figure out how Azure works. Unlike SE, Sega doesn't directly deal with the server hardware since they are essentially renting cloud servers from Microsoft, which automatically scale the cost to the number of active users, assuming they have things properly setup. The most Sega should have to deal with is perhaps increased rental costs.

SE, on the other hand, has traditional servers that they directly manage and thus has to actually buy the hardware themselves. So they have to actually deal with purchasing their own hardware.

If FFXIV is faster, that just goes to show how much more optimized it is compared to PSO2/NGS.

So I am going to try to save as much of this thread as I can via Wayback Machine. Any specific pages in this thread people think should be the priority in saving?

Grab the camo request thread as well if you have time. With that it covers both story/lore content and gameplay.

none of the stuff they censored is hindering you from playing the game

Not from playing, but fully enjoying.

@Weirdo said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

Not from playing, but fully enjoying.

You only know about the censorship because Of the differences in JP. The whole non-censorship argument is centered all a crying baby wanting the others baby’s popsicles because it looks different. Taste the same just looks different so they throws down their own and cries harder when mommy and daddy said No!!!

Watch how elaborated they get with a defense to this analogy........they will use some mentality explanations......watch!

@Rain-Gnyu If they taste the same, then there is definitely a different attitude about how they were given the popsicles. The Japanese side doesn't have Phantasy Star Online 2 as a "game" but rather as a series - most of which has been omitted and cut apart for Global so that we can simply get the popsicle as much as possible but not much more than that.

You are not making the situation better by pre-emptively bracing yourself going "watch them trick you" when you yourself have already been hostile towards community members from the other side.

@Iunar Unfortunately some problems that I have resulted in the censorship justifying that it is completely okay that some of the worldbuilding and aspects of Phantasy Star Online 2 from the Japanese version would never make it to the Global version - and it's supposed to be "better" as a result. Case in point being the current end-game state (the Japanese version still has Mission Badges you can obtain for making end-game equipment, you can still get very close alternatives to the end-game weapons in an unlimited manner, and you have a great deal of celebratory exchanges so you can pick up weapon camos/cosmetics that reference past games or sidestories - almost all of which are absent on Global).

If I had to be picky, if we could get the Phantasy Star Online Legacy weapon camo exchanges (such as picking up Dual Bird as a weapon camo and not the actual weapon because New Genesis does not allow us to use Weapon Transmutation yet) I would be happier. But there is something distinctly different about the Japanese version's worldbuilding and self-referential nature (Sega's playful nods to themselves when you get guests from other games including non-Sega games showing up) and when you see the "Phantasy Star Online 2" series come full circle when you consider things like the previous AC Scratches and the general game world/cosmetics going into play as well. What we have is distinctly watered down - and this isn't me talking about Episode 4's removed scenes (which I don't mind) or about the cosmetics being censored that were ultimately reversed either.

To add to this, there is also the problem that others have pointed out that on Global we don't have a means to communicate with "someone" from Sega in the same way as the Japanese version. Phantasy Star Online 2 often had events that connected players together both in-game and outside of the game and a lot of these references were removed in Puso Ni Comi/PSO2COMI. On the Global side, we were driven through a fast-forwarding of the game and rarely ever would meet "faces" of the community whether it be by someone at "Sega" or someone who is there for the Global version of the game. When you look at things like ARKS Hour for Global it was one of the few times you could actually see someone on the Global side of things but it wasn't anything particularly special for players who already knew what was coming up (like me who already had finished the Episode 6 story by the time the Global version got Episode 5). In the Global community, I greatly dislike that even on these forums you will always see someone disagreeing - not just to disagree but because there is a battle of egos to be had and for some reason you can't just be "ARKS" with one another to just cooperate and enjoy the game for what it is or to hope for the better. It is why you have specific users who are trying too hard to project and pre-emptively attack and provoke others who might be more critical on aspects of the game and why you have others here who have a vendetta with people or even the community managers. I feel that there should be a significantly stronger focus on building a community of players who can at least co-exist and communicate meaningfully - and not this "warzone" of opinions where someone has to be right and someone has to be wrong. Censorship is one particular topic where you unfortunately might get a meaningful discussion - but it shouldn't have to come at the cost of dismissing everyone involved because there is a stigma about people who legitimately are short or because the already-dated anime story doesn't hold up well in the modern day.

@Rain-Gnyu @Iunar Censorship also acts as an obstacle towards a fully unified service. JP is objectively a better server with more content and better monetization.

As long as they insist on having these sort if regional differences, JP and the rest of the world will have separate servers for NGS and future games in the franchise and JP will have the better server because that is where Sega puts their focus.

If we look at the other big Japanese MMO, FFXIV, which also happens to be the top MMO at the moment, they have a unified service between JP and the western regions. That means western players can play on JP servers and vice versa. This also means they are managed exactly the same and this unified management has done wonders for the game and has them give equal care and attention to western players as they do for JP players.

Furthermore, it takes additional development resources to censor things. It is just a waste of time and money to censor things. They do nothing to better the game and the time and money spent on this could have been spent on more important parts of the game.

In regards to Rain's analogy, no mental gymnastics are needed because the analogy just doesn't work. JP is objectively better than Global and has more support and care from Sega, thus they do not "taste the same." JP and Global are not equal and JP is objectively a better experience. JP has better life support for base PSO2 for example.

It is a fact that JP is of a better quality than Global. It has more content and better management.

@Rain-Gnyu said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

You only know about the censorship because Of the differences in JP.

Bruh. Why else would SEGA begin reflecting changes from Global into JP if Microsoft weren't the penny horse in this relationship?

@Archetype-Luna said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@Rain-Gnyu @Iunar Censorship also acts as an obstacle towards a fully unified service. JP is objectively a better server with more content and better monetization. It is a fact that JP is of a better quality than Global. It has more content and better management.

It pains me to say that a "unified service" might be coming sooner than we might expect.

With it could come permanent censorship unless the JP audience begins to talk about this on their end of the feedback.

I don't know how a JP user might view this other than America being sensitive and over-reactionary or a Global localization being business.

The censorship on our end has only affected them so far in terms of Blacklist-> Blocklist.

It could change into an increase of effect on JP if Microsoft's Xbox continues to be an exclusively family friendly service and profit margin.

(PSO2NGS is not Family Friendly [Rated PG], it's quite literally a Mature content and themes sort of game.)

I'm getting real tired of this malarkey, and I hope the investors notice too.

Would be hard not to with all the YouTubers who complained about the "localization" being a 4Kids TV workload of lazy.

alt text

@MasterDarkwingz said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@Rain-Gnyu said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

You only know about the censorship because Of the differences in JP.

Bruh. Why else would SEGA begin reflecting changes from Global into JP if Microsoft weren't the penny horse in this relationship?

@Archetype-Luna said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@Rain-Gnyu @Iunar Censorship also acts as an obstacle towards a fully unified service. JP is objectively a better server with more content and better monetization. It is a fact that JP is of a better quality than Global. It has more content and better management.

It pains me to say that a "unified service" might be coming sooner than we might expect.

With it could come permanent censorship unless the JP audience begins to talk about this on their end of the feedback.

I don't know how a JP user might view this other than America being sensitive and over-reactionary or a Global localization being business.

The censorship on our end has only affected them so far in terms of Blacklist-> Blocklist.

It could change into an increase of effect on JP if Microsoft's Xbox continues to be an exclusively family friendly service and profit margin.

(PSO2NGS is not Family Friendly [Rated PG], it's quite literally a Mature content and themes sort of game.)

I'm getting real tired of this malarkey, and I hope the investors notice too.

Would be hard not to with all the YouTubers who complained about the "localization" being a 4Kids TV workload of lazy.

alt text

The original PSO was kid friendly and The JP audience switch it to the adult platform. Where it should have never gone I my personal perspective opinion. Now that the game is back in the west we still have that nostalgic feel of what PSO was originally. I don’t think it should change and Microsoft feels the same way!

@Rain-Gnyu Funny you always said you wanted to play Sega's game. Sega's game is the JP version that is uncensored. Also, considering how JP is the primary audience and makes Sega more money than global, it gone where it should have gone considering the current trends in Japanese media. JP gets more care and attention from Sega and probably always will as long as we have separate servers from JP. Also, none of the censored elements would actually change the game's rating in anyway. Things like the height limitation are meaningless, even if you want a T rating as ESRB has stated that character heights do not affect a game's rating, something that is proven by other games having short characters, like FFXIV (which has a T rating).

@MasterDarkwingz I highly doubt they would make JP closer to Global considering how the game is already not doing amazing in JP and the amount of competition they are facing from FFXIV, especially with Endwalker coming in about 2 weeks. Unless Microsoft offers an absurd amount of money, it is incredibly unlikely for them to start censoring outfits or increasing the height limit on JP, since that would definitely cause a huge backlash in JP.

@MasterDarkwingz I highly doubt they would make JP closer to Global considering how the game is already not doing amazing in JP and the amount of competition they are facing from FFXIV, especially with Endwalker coming in about 2 weeks. Unless Microsoft offers an absurd amount of money, it is incredibly unlikely for them to start censoring outfits or increasing the height limit on JP, since that would definitely cause a huge backlash in JP.

Remember when I said that I never claimed that SEGA+Microsoft was a smart team with regards to the legality of lolis?

This is essentially the worst thing that could happen if things continue to go the Globalization route and someone on the JP board sees a false potential weaved by someone on the Global localization/censorship team instead of current profit in JP.

So as long as Microsoft is on the idea board, it's still a halfway plausible chance.

@MasterDarkwingz A huge factor is how much Sega cares about JP and their PR with JP players, while they don't care anywhere near as much for global. If Microsoft has any say, it is in Global only as Sega likely just sees Global as extra change. When it comes to JP however, a lot of effort is put into their reputation, hence why JP has always been the better server.

@Archetype-Luna The sad part of creating a Global branch is that it's usually the branch that either dies the fastest or is constantly suffering enough visible financial concerns to slap constant Loot Boxes and adverts into user's faces with the FOMO effect regardless of "it will be back" disclaimers.

(Talking about Nexon and Maplestory 2 here. They had the same bots running dungeons problem that PSO2NGS has with bots teleporting across the map around the same time they attack the forums.)