Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.

@MasterDarkwingz said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@Weirdo said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

It also doesn't make sense to spend extra money just to appease these people while angering the actual fans at the same time.

Wait, how much money was inflated? And where?

Is this replying to an edited post, or a mistaken reply or what? This seems like a confusing non-sequitur here, like he was talking about the Elder trick or something. SEGA's stance on localization aint gonna inflate anything.

@Akonyl What's the Elder Trick? Is it that thing where he almost breaks the universe in the story or something?

@Akonyl said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@MasterDarkwingz said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@Weirdo said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

It also doesn't make sense to spend extra money just to appease these people while angering the actual fans at the same time.

Wait, how much money was inflated? And where?

Is this replying to an edited post, or a mistaken reply or what? This seems like a confusing non-sequitur here, like he was talking about the Elder trick or something. SEGA's stance on localization aint gonna inflate anything.

I'm still confused.

@MasterDarkwingz You apparently replied to a comment, that wasn't related to your response.

Edit: Just leave it. It makes this conversation a bit more light hearted and hilarious.

@Anarchy-Marine said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@Akonyl What's the Elder Trick? Is it that thing where he almost breaks the universe in the story or something?

No, recently (more info if you check the general forums) SEGA had to disable the Elder trigger quest because people were basically using the thanksgiving badges to run it constantly on normal mode getting like 100k per run each minute (and it would also feed back the spent badges if your group had 3+ people), causing pretty bad inflation. I can't think of any other place inflation would come into the conversation recently, so I was wondering if it was a mistaken reply or something. You can't do it anymore though, so no use worrying about it.

I'm still confused.

I guess I'm just asking why you're asking "how much money was inflated, and where", since I don't see anything in the post you're replying to that's talking about inflation. That post's just talking about SEGA spending money to appease people, which has nothing to do with inflation so I was thinking you might've responded to a different post than you meant to.

edit: but if you wanna just leave it like Anarchy mentioned, I'm fine with it. I'm just confused where that post came from.

@Akonyl Oh, I took the comment as if users had to spend more due to the cost of stuff changing with some censorship SG inflation.

Costs SEGA jack squat to remove lines of code, if you don't count possible dishonor that Japan might see it to be.

@Akonyl Hmm, I heard about that. Didn't know people had decided to call it the Elder trick.

@Anarchy-Marine said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@Akonyl Hmm, I heard about that. Didn't know people had decided to call it the Elder trick.

That was just me, hoping it'd be clear enough to not have to type it all up considering it's pretty recent news. But doesn't matter much either way.

@Akonyl Oh, I took the comment as if users had to spend more due to the cost of stuff changing with some censorship SG inflation.

Costs SEGA jack squat to remove lines of code, if you don't count possible dishonor that Japan might see it to be.

Gotcha. I think in Weirdo's comment when they say "It also doesn't make sense to spend extra money" they're not referring to us spending extra SG/whatever, they're talking about SEGA spending more dev money to change things in Global vs JP in hopes of attracting a clientele that Weirdo doesn't think will stick around like "actual" fans (so it doesn't make sense to spend the money for them), since as minor as it may be some of these changes are gonna be extra work+money for SEGA (like getting someone to change the harriette basewear, or editing global to remove ep4 cutscenes, or whatever). I can see your reading though.

@Akonyl To be fair, her base wear didn't make much sense to begin with. She was running around showing what was equelvent to her underwear in Japan as a top, that said, some players wanted that outfit to show off their innerwear. So I'm kind of mixed on feelings when it comes to that. The rest of the changes were in my opinion wasted time and resources, better spent on flavor text.

@Akonyl To be fair, her base wear didn't make much sense to begin with. She was running around showing what was equelvent to her underwear in Japan as a top, that said, some players wanted that outfit to show off their innerwear. So I'm kind of mixed on feelings when it comes to that. The rest of the changes were in my opinion wasted time and resources, better spent on flavor text.

Well, not to get too into it, but all the hariette basewear change did was slap her underwear into the basewear. The change doesn't actually cover harriette up any more than she was in JP, it just reduces player options, which I think is kind of lame. The hariette NPC looks just like she did in JP, so if she was running around showing her underwear beforehand, she still is, since outerwear/basewear/innerwear is just an abstraction for player cosmetics and not something that really exists in-universe (since people can obviously wear more than 3 pieces of clothes).

@Akonyl said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

Well, not to get too into it, but all the hariette basewear change did was slap her underwear into the basewear. The change doesn't actually cover harriette up any more than she was in JP, it just reduces player options, which I think is kind of lame. The hariette NPC looks just like she did in JP, so if she was running around showing her underwear beforehand, she still is, since outerwear/basewear/innerwear is just an abstraction for player cosmetics and not something that really exists in-universe (since people can obviously wear more than 3 pieces of clothes).

You know, I'm starting to see an underwear censorship pattern that should only show itself in Chinese versions of a game.

I'm wondering if maybe Japan could've sent Global the wrong data?

I'm watching this convo and realized something. Both uncensored files and censored files exist. There's now this talk about too many normies playing games because of Covid and companies censoring to cater to some passive aggressive political correct stuff. Then there's this talk about these changes being made, and not really checking what the core fan base actually wants. And now I think, what if some of this stuff reverts back to a previous state (uncensored) when Covid stuff ends and normies are out and about? I mean, once this whole bunch of stay at home restrictions end, nobody but the actual fans will be playing this and other games. Only the true introverts will stay as the rest of the world goes outside to hug each other and drink together till their livers explode. Then and only then, the companies will see there's nobody to cater those censors to, and only an angry repressed mass of long time fans, now with their feathers ruffled. Maybe, just maybe, we will see a dwindling on the censoring, and we may see a sort of return to normalcy.

For now, I can tell Capcom that the concept of damsels in distress and Dee Jay's Rastafarian hat are NOT bad things. I don't care if they want to put Ryu in a thong next year just to pair him with a similarly thong wearing Chun Li for a photo op just to say they reached gender equality. But changing what gaming has been to cater to people who will not be there as soon as a Covid vaccine is released does nothing but enrage the real money pots of gaming.

Oh, and yes, I'm semi awake. Sorry if I don't make any sense. I'm practically ranting here...

@ZorokiHanuke said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

There's now this talk about too many normies playing games because of Covid and companies censoring to cater to some passive aggressive political correct stuff. Then there's this talk about these changes being made, and not really checking what the core fan base actually wants. And now I think, what if some of this stuff reverts back to a previous state (uncensored) when Covid stuff ends and normies are out and about? I mean, once this whole bunch of stay at home restrictions end, nobody but the actual fans will be playing this and other games. Only the true introverts will stay as the rest of the world goes outside to hug each other and drink together till their livers explode. Then and only then, the companies will see there's nobody to cater those censors to, and only an angry repressed mass of long time fans, now with their feathers ruffled. Maybe, just maybe, we will see a dwindling on the censoring, and we may see a sort of return to normalcy.

You bring up a good point, this could be a temporary thing. It just doesn’t make sense, game companies have been under heat since at least the 90s over depictions of adult themes and gaming companies never catered to their nonsense before. Look at all the complaining about “sexism” with Tomb Raider back in the day, don’t even get me started on the Dead or Alive series. What has always peeved me off was they always seem to forget LGBT people exist and they say “videogames are catered only for men” as if lesbians don’t exist and play those games too. I’m bi and I wanted to play a hot girl character too but the censorship even back then made a big freaking deal about it. I remember feeling really angry and ignored, but those gaming companies always stood their ground.

Now is not the case, I don’t think it’s a smart move to shoot themselves in the foot right now. I think a lot of longtime fans are going to be bitter when this is all over, some will give up on that company for good and the covid-players will go back to their extrovert lives.

@Milk I think it's not the constant struggles the gaming industry have gone through since the 90's in the battle between morals and frredom of art expression, but the advent of the fully connected world where a single charisma-blessed idiot with a way to show his face over the Internet to millions of people can apparently change the course of humanity as we know it. It is how the Flat Earth movement and a bunch of the more ridiculous 'religions' have gained a lot of recent true believing followers. That was a tad more difficult to achieve in the 90's where you needed an actual TV network worth millions of dollars just to plaster your face on some kind of media.

And yeah, now I'm more awake, but kind of cranky. Please forgive the rough language.

@ZorokiHanuke

No no I get it, I play games for an escape from that so it’s upsetting that it’s creeping into my games now too. I haven’t touched FB in weeks, my relatives were all for that canned ham. I want no part in it whatsoever.