Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.

@RainGnyu I will be putting it in a PM if that is fine. However do note that often times, they get banned and the accusation posts are deleted. There is no bandwagon crusade.

@Krinos said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

I highly doubt Sega is aware of the censorship in NA.

They got a PR team working for Estsoft, a south Korean company which probably doesn't relay anything judging by the severe lack of clarity, and disconnect with NA players. They also have Lionbridge Studios and freelancers localizing the game which means you have faceless randoms sieving through the game's assets picking and choosing what stays, and what goes, and what gets censored. Looking at company photos of Lionbridge studios, most of the staff are old ladies/hipsters, and what it looks like to be an outsourced office from India.

So on both sides in terms of communication with players, and localization, you got a korean company that doesn't care, and an outsourced office in india and random hipster freelancers picking apart the game you love.

Looking at the knitty gritty of who's running the show in NA, it's scary to think the game is still running at all.

I probably come off as a bit condescending, but I'm just trying to emphasize that it feels like there are alot of small-time randoms involved in localizing an mmo that's been around for a decade.

Estsoft handles the support and forums from what I understand. Lionbridge handled the initial translation from what I understand; they even dubbed the bathscenes. From what we can tell Sega JP actually does make the final decisions; it is likely a sub team in the Phantasy Star Crew.

PSU was handled in a similar way, though likely without a dedicated sub team, which left the western version way behind on updates. Sega JP called the shots, but they were completely focused on the JP version.

They have improved a great deal since PSU, but there is still plenty of improvement to be had when it comes to communication. The best version is still the JP version, but the gap isn't as severe as it used to be. Like it is still pretty large, but it isn't like PSU bad.

@Archetype-Luna Hey, Luna, did you check out the Lionbridge Studio forum post yet? Might explain why these censors are happening and SEGA isn't exactly to blame.

@ZarexWolf I am of the opinion that Sega always has at least some responsibility, as it is their IP. They should be the ones making the final calls and should be able to veto any decision Lionbridge makes. If Lionbridge is the one causing the censorship and Sega JP is not aware, then Sega is at fault for not paying attention.

@Archetype-Luna Yeah, I'd have to agree on that. Still, both are at fault, but SEGA should do something to reverse it since they have the original files still, hopefully. (Not entirely irrelevant, but I'm thinking back to the Penders lawsuit where they lost a crucial file, if that was the case.)

Penders, now there’s a name I haven’t heard in a while.

I’m in agreement that even if Lionbridge is responsible then SEGA is still to blame, it’s their game series.

Wow don’t know that was going on. Thanks for the information.

Well that explains a lot of things on the questionable translations and censors, not sure why they resulted into this decision on how to run things. The question is will they continue having lionbridge calling the shots on most of these when transitioning to New genesis?

So with the thread deleted, what exactly happened/is happening? Feel free to PM if possible. Curious now, but it seems something big >.>

@Lintaur Seems like nothing bad happened or someone assumed it got derailed? Not sure.. Whatever happened, it definitely raises some concern..

I think it had to be deleted because it got derailed too much and people didn’t like choice of language.

@Milk said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

I think it had to be deleted because tempers were flaring, last I saw it before bed people were upset about choice of words, not the Lionbridge discussion itself. There was talk about what is/isn’t considered a slur so I imagine it just got derailed too much.

Nah, the last few posts were people trying to argue that the localizers were literally programming the NA version of the game. I think a GM showed up because I used one too many sentence enhancers (aka fuck this shit that assfartdickweiner,etc. for emphasis on certain words, though since I'm not banned, you can see that I never directed them at anyone) which flagged the thread to be checked out.

So in the shortest way possible...what has/is happening with this "Lionbridge" company, just need one post; not gonna clog this topic with questions.

@IAMCRAIG said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

@Milk said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

I think it had to be deleted because tempers were flaring, last I saw it before bed people were upset about choice of words, not the Lionbridge discussion itself. There was talk about what is/isn’t considered a slur so I imagine it just got derailed too much.

Nah, the last few posts were people trying to argue that the localizers were literally programming the NA version of the game. I think a GM showed up because I used one too many sentence enhancers (aka fuck this shit that assfartdickweiner,etc. for emphasis on certain words, though since I'm not banned, you can see that I never directed them at anyone) which flagged the thread to be checked out.

That’s so dumb, if they’re not being used as attacks towards someone then who cares

@IAMCRAIG said in Can we not cut out anymore story scenes and stop it with censorship in general.:

That’s so dumb, if they’re not being used as attacks towards someone then who cares

Hilariously, 6 hours ago I got a (likely automated) message from GM Sohee warning me about how a recent post I made violated their regulations (hostile, vulgar, etc. language used).

To stay on topic: Nothing is happening with Lionbridge. They have no creative control over PSO2 beyond the guidelines given to them for localizing it, with it most likely being that they only worked on story and npc dialogue based off of how wildly different the quality is in other aspects of the game which suggests it was done by an in-house team. Any removed scenes/changed names needed to be done by the developers themselves as they have the necessary tools and knowledge of the game code itself to be able to do it without breaking multiple other things.

So something interesting to note, according to Twitter the unscheduled maintenance has to do with the latest scratch and players there are speculating it has to do with the lewd outfits. And by lewd I mean:

https://pso2.com/news/scratch-tickets/designerdreamsIII

My initial reaction to the photos is they edited clothes in this game before but this is fine? They are quite literally naked with embellishments. I’m suspicious it’s going to be another case of someone messing up with posting the photos. I wasn’t sure how to feel, relieved they didn’t censor anything else but even more confused about what ticks those censorship boxes anymore.

I guess we’ll find out if the rumors are true.

What did you guys think of the scratch preview?