I wonder if they'll dub the anime after it's over

Title

Bottom Text

That would be up to Sentai for Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation and Funimation for Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle, since they own those respective licenses. It wouldn't be up to Sega of America or Microsoft to get them dubbed, but instead their license holders that were mentioned previously.

@Ragnawind , not even SEGA of America... PSO2 NA (Localization, Communication, etc) is not being handled by SEGA of America or Microsoft but by SEGA of Japan with its Localization and Community Management outsourced.

I think it'll come over for sure. It's been pretty cool so far too. I'll prob rewatch the dub.

@Leonkh99 said in I wonder if they'll dub the anime after it's over:

@Ragnawind , not even SEGA of America... PSO2 NA (Localization, Communication, etc) is not being handled by SEGA of America or Microsoft but by SEGA of Japan with its Localization and Community Management outsourced.

2 questions

1. Is there a valid source for this?
  2. So when you say "outsourced", do we know if they are still in Japan or in NA? I would assume NA. But wouldn't that make then SoA employees then rather than SoJ?

@BlackRadient said in I wonder if they'll dub the anime after it's over:

2 questions

1. Is there a valid source for this?
  2. So when you say "outsourced", do we know if they are still in Japan or in NA? I would assume NA. But wouldn't that make then SoA employees then rather than SoJ?

I don't think they have a source. After extensively looking into it, I have found nothing confirming anything they said about how this game is being handled. They also claim that the marketing and customer service is outsource to a south Korean company called EST Soft. That sounds more likely to have been the SEA version where their info came from, but that version already closed down, I think.

@Ragnawind and @BlackRadient , the sources are ones you kinda have to look into. To answer the first statement, there's various sources:

== REGARDING SEGA JP HANDLING PSO2 NA ==

The evidence is very subtle but it is there... the most obvious if you were to check the game's Terms of Service on this site is the fact that the game's Terms of Service does not line up with SEGA of America or SEGA Europe but rather "SEGA Games" (which is the official name the game development branch of the SEGA Corporation in Japan goes by). As some examples:

These Terms and any action related thereto will be governed by the laws of Japan without regard to its conflict of laws provisions

Arbitration Rules and Governing Law. The arbitration will be administered by the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association (“JCAA”) in accordance with the Commercial Arbitration Rules Disputes (the "JCAA Rules") then in effect, except as modified by this "Dispute Resolution" section. (The JCAA Rules are available at http://www.jcaa.or.jp/e/ or by contacting the JCAA via telephone at 03 (5280) 5200 or via fax at 03 (5280) 5170). The Arbitration Act of Japan (Act No. 138 of 2003) will govern the interpretation and enforcement of this Section.

Arbitration Process. A party who desires to initiate arbitration must provide the other party with a written “Request for Arbitration” as specified in the JCAA Rules. The arbitration proceedings shall be conducted in Tokyo, Japan.

SEGA Games Co., Ltd. Osaki Garden Tower 1-1-1 Nishi-Shinagawa Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo 141-0033 Japan

Furthermore... the game's publisher on the Microsoft Store has the game be listed under "SEGA Games Co Ltd." as opposed to the regular SEGA or SEGA of America / SEGA Europe account. The reason for this is clear... the Xbox One version at least would be receiving updates through the MS Store so this would be done so that SEGA Games would be able to push the updates themselves.

Lastly, the game's credits doesn't have that many active roles for SEGA of America nor SEGA Europe... not even a Network Manager to run the game's servers. As a Japanese article released post E3 confirms (over here: https://www.gamebusiness.jp/article/2019/07/22/15987.html), the decision to use Microsoft Azure was made by SEGA of Japan. To quote a (translated) portion...

――Please tell us why you chose Azure for this title, which can be called a signboard title. Segawa: Previously, "PSO2" was operated on-premises, but from the beginning on the North American version, we planned to switch to a cloud server instead of operating our own. The biggest reason is scalability. North America has a large population of game players, and it's difficult to read how many people will gather, so we decided to adopt a cloud server to avoid losing the opportunity to play but not play. Azure was one of the candidates at that time.

Throughout the article, the implications are that SEGA of Japan would be running the servers themselves... which makes sense why the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy are theirs as opposed to SEGA of America's.

==REGARDING EST SOFT==

ESTsoft is credited in the NA version credits. Some of these credits include things such as Live Operations (usually Custom Support and GMs), Community Team (GMs once again and Social Media), Graphic Designer, Web Developer, etc.

Furthermore, the game's official Press Kit (over here: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/357765/PHANTASY_STAR_ONLINE_2_OPENS_XBOX_ONE_NORTH_AMERICAN_CLOSED_BETA_TOMORROW.php) mentions "Fred White" as "Head of Marketing" much like he is in the game's credit under ESTsoft and if you look... ESTsoft does indeed have a Fred White of the same name. However much like Online R&D calling themselves the "Phantasy Star Crew" when doing anything relating to PSO2, you will only know it was ESTsoft from the game's credits as under any other circumstance relating to PSO2 they would simply be known as the "PSO2 TEAM".

==REGARDING LOCALIZERS==

Localization has been outsourced to Lionbridge (who have dubbing credits) and freelancers who do have Twitter accounts and portfolios which show they are not current SEGA employees. Here are a couple of their Twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/KrisKnigge/status/1224481648378634240?s=20 https://twitter.com/EmbryonX/status/1224483574558154754?s=20

==REGARDING OUTSOURCED WORK AND SEGA==

This one is admittedly a bit unclear but.... to keep things simple, most of the outsourced work are credited under their respective entities as you no doubt saw. None of the localizers are credited under SEGA of America or SEGA Europe nor are none of the Community Team's members... staff listed under SEGA of America or SEGA Europe are people who are actually working for those two companies.

Hope this clears things up... given the number of times I had to raise all these facts I do consider making a huge post.... but we should see. Also apologies for the late reply as... timezones can get in the way.

@Leonkh99 Wowee that's a lot of info. I did not know all of that. Yikes.

Thank you for taking the time to break all of that down!

I hope they do, I've been watching it and as someone who grew up with dubs in the 2000s, I kinda miss being able to watch without subtitles.

I wonder what kind of direction they might take with a dub... the subs have taken queues from the official translation and used official terminology like Falspawn and Dark Falz Gemini but don't really follow in the Game Dub's direction (Afin is yelling "Partner!" instead of "Mate!").

At this point, it is unlikely to get a dub anytime soon, at least. Funimation is known more for simuldubs lately and if a show they license and stream doesn't get dubbed, it normally doesn't end up getting dubbed, at all. This might be a special case, though and they might choose to dub it after the game actually got an english dub. It might take time, though, since I don't think most of the VAs are available in Texas. Funimation likely decided to wait and see what Sega was going to do and would likely try to get the same dub actors, if possible.

I don't see it often and it may not be with FUNimation... but I did definitely see shows that don't get Dubs till after the Subs are well ahead...

Also, were you able to see the sources I posted regarding SOJ's involvement? @Ragnawind

I don't see it often and it may not be with FUNimation... but I did definitely see shows that don't get Dubs till after the Subs are well ahead...

Also, were you able to see the sources I posted regarding SOJ's involvement? @Ragnawind

yes, I saw the info. Most of the credits info I didn't have since I don't have an XBOX One and only have PC. As for dubs, Funimation isn't normally one to go back later and dub something. I believe they have only done that a total of one time. Companies that typically only release subs like Sentai tend to go back and dub stuff more often. Lately, Crunchyroll even started dubbing more recent shows, but that only started after their partnership with Funimation ended, which was after Sony Pictures bought a majority stake in Funimation.

@Ragnawind , I see thanks for the info on the nature of those dubs... suppose at the moment we'll just have to wait to see how far SEGA wants to push Episode Oracle. If a dub were produced I could see them airing the show on say... Adult Swim's Toonami to help promote the game (they only air anime dubs, the sole exception being an April Fools broadcast).

Regarding credits... you can find them here if you are still interested: https://youtu.be/Iu0q8Y_fe88