Steam Version - All graphics and text on the UI look blurry and pixellated

Re: PC is forcing Intel HD Graphics instead of Discrete Nvidia GPU

I'm having this exact blurry pixelated graphics and UI text issue with the new Steam PC version that came out today that I've seen reported before. Most of the solutions point it to PSO2 trying to use the integrated graphics card first and this old thread above from the Windows Store PC release had the most solutions I've found.

Heh, gotta love trying to tech support an issue and just when you find the solution somewhere on the internet you find that numerous persons have multiple solutions that each claim is the real fix -- and none of them work.

Running through the solutions in that old thread. Here has been my journey thus far...

• I have a 2080TI card, but the motherboard does have an Intel Integrated GPU. My Nvidia control panel doesn't have an option to select the 2080TI as the main card as all the options appear to just think that's all I have, so no GPU selection.
  • Editing the user.pso2 file did nothing despite matching the resolution to my monitor.
  • The most recent solution in that thread is a little outdated due to a recent Windows 10 update changing the dropdown from either a Desktop app or Microsoft Store app. Adding PSO2.exe as a desktop app to run in high performance did nothing as well.
  • Even going into the Device Manager for Win10 and disabling the Intel Integrated GPU does nothing as well.

All graphics and text on the UI just look blurry and pixellated still. Any new solutions to this?

using different display adapters wouldn't be likely to cause this issue. it wouldn't change graphic detail settings, or change what settings the game uses. worse case scenario, it would just decrease your framerate. (only real exception here would be version levels. so if the iGPU only support up to DX10, but the game wanted to use DX11 by default, then that could cause a loss in graphical deatil. same for like shader version too.)

with that being said... only thing i can think of is either a resolution issue, or desktop DPI scaling.

~

you seem to have already touched on the resolution part. i would look at DPI next. if you are using desktop DPI scaling... it is from | right click desktop > display settings > that percentile under scale and layout. if set to anything other than 100%, you would just right click pso2.exe and set the option for it to "Application" from the compatibility tab.

other than that, i can only think of anistropic filtering. it shouldn't cause such a severe issue, but that might depend on your resolution. personally? i haven't been able to get the game to look good past 1920x1080.

EDIT : for the anistropic filtering... the game doesn't have an option for this and isn't used by default. you will have to enable it through your graphics control panel.

~

well... i can't think of anything else that would cause the game to appear blurry or pixelated. sorry, and good luck!

for me the Steam game is "stuck" at 720p resolution regardless whicht setting i choose(3840*2160) which is very frustrating.....So good thing I haven't uninstalled the Window store version.

Same thing for me, it looks like shit and I've been messing around with the settings for hours...

Having the same issue. I'm guessing its exclusive to people who play on a 4k tv. 1080p monitor users seen to have no issue

@BLaCKnBLu3B3RRY said in Steam Version - All graphics and text on the UI look blurry and pixellated:

using desktop DPI scaling... it is from | right click desktop > display settings > that percentile under scale and layout. if set to anything other than 100%, you would just right click pso2.exe and set the option for it to "Application" from the compatibility tab.

Changing the DPI scaling to Application worked. Surprised I didn't think of that as I've used that trick before.

Now the all the game and text looks crisp and everything looks great! Thanks!

@BLaCKnBLu3B3RRY said in Steam Version - All graphics and text on the UI look blurry and pixellated:

using different display adapters wouldn't be likely to cause this issue. it wouldn't change graphic detail settings, or change what settings the game uses. worse case scenario, it would just decrease your framerate. (only real exception here would be version levels. so if the iGPU only support up to DX10, but the game wanted to use DX11 by default, then that could cause a loss in graphical deatil. same for like shader version too.)

with that being said... only thing i can think of is either a resolution issue, or desktop DPI scaling.

~

you seem to have already touched on the resolution part. i would look at DPI next. if you are using desktop DPI scaling... it is from | right click desktop > display settings > that percentile under scale and layout. if set to anything other than 100%, you would just right click pso2.exe and set the option for it to "Application" from the compatibility tab.

other than that, i can only think of anistropic filtering. it shouldn't cause such a severe issue, but that might depend on your resolution. personally? i haven't been able to get the game to look good past 1920x1080.

EDIT : for the anistropic filtering... the game doesn't have an option for this and isn't used by default. you will have to enable it through your graphics control panel.

~

well... i can't think of anything else that would cause the game to appear blurry or pixelated. sorry, and good luck!

THANK YOU SO MUCH, DPI was my issue and now the game looks great!

Cheers,

@Dacruea-Xikuuze said in Steam Version - All graphics and text on the UI look blurry and pixellated:

Having the same issue. I'm guessing its exclusive to people who play on a 4k tv. 1080p monitor users seen to have no issue

if you haven't tried the DPI scaling thing, i would give that a go. other than that, and another thing or two in my previous post, i wouldn't know what else to suggest.

at any rate, i also play using a TV. it is 55inch and native 3840x2160, but i play my games at a 1080p resolution and allow the display to perform the up-scaling.

i suppose that could be something else worth looking at. seeing if your graphics control from desktop is set to use GPU or the display for up-scaling.

~

in almost all cases, display up-scaling is going to be better than what you can get off of the GPU. and this is because the GPU isn't going to be aware of all the display parameters involved when up-scaling.

well, other than that... i wouldn't know. good luck! 🙂

@Neosolidus12 said in Steam Version - All graphics and text on the UI look blurry and pixellated:

for me the Steam game is "stuck" at 720p resolution regardless whicht setting i choose(3840*2160) which is very frustrating.....So good thing I haven't uninstalled the Window store version.

only thing i can think on this is going to be your desktop resolution. by default, the game only allows windowed and borderless windowed/virtual desktop. in either case, the game won't go past the resolution set by your desktop.

two things i can suggest...

A.) change your desktop resolution

B.) goto your Documents folder and goto SEGA > PHANTASYSTARONLINE2_NA_STEAM. (or the other one if you are using MSStore version) open user.pso2 in notepad. go all the way to the bottom and you should find some resolution options. if using it, change the virtual option to false and the other fullscreen option to true.

you will find some height and width options, but i don't know what the "3d" options do. they don't seem to do anything. either way, i wouldn't change anything you don't understand without making a backup copy.

good luck!