Episode 4 story is disgusting

@Sephlock said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

What, no mention of the bath scene?

THE WHAT NOW? (Make no mistake, this is not an excitement statement.)

@NONNYbitz said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

Glad to hear they're doing what they promised when they said alt text And at least they did something about that scene. Some of you know exactly which scene I'm talking about. 😛

oh looooooooool

Just played through of what's available for EP4 story in NA and honestly, it isn't anywhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. Hitsugi, xiera and Khori are all likable characters, the villains have much more personality than any dark falz whose names aren't "Dark Falz Gemini & Dark Falz Luther" and the pace picks up much faster than previous episodes.

My only problems is that it is waaay too meta, It doesn't really feel like a true Phantasy star plot and the small segment of khori fangirling over alastor but other than that, it's pretty solid at least so far. Also, please tell me that it will be possible to acquire "Gram" in the future. That sword looks godlike

@Anarchy-Marine said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

@Zipzo There were only two creeps in the story, one's an antagonist, the other is brainwashed. ... They are plot points designed to show, and not tell.

Bad people, will always do bad things.

I think this is pretty much all that needed to be said to effectively countermand the entire thread. It boggles my mind when people freak out over evil being portrayed as evil, sick being portrayed as sick, depraved being portrayed as depraved, etc. My mom use to to draw on similar arguments when I was a kid. "I don't want you watching this show because it has X type of character and X is evil!" And I'd get in trouble for "back talk" for responding with "No duh, that's why that character is the VILLAIN." As long as they aren't making heroes out of creepers I don't see how anyone can make the argument that it's "glorifying" or "promoting" or even "excusing" that kind of behavior.

This is really making me wish there wasn't an event going on so I could dive right into the story and see what all the dang fuss is about. I mean come on, where was all this outrage over the creepy ,cannibalistic, sadistic, sociopathic "children" a.k.a. the Gemini twins? no feigned virtue signalling over portraying "innocent" children as embodiments of pure evil and heartless cruelty? Seems like a missed opportunity to really Karen it up.

@zaffy2005 said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

@Zipzo There were only two creeps in the story, one's an antagonist, the other is brainwashed. ... They are plot points designed to show, and not tell.

I think this is pretty much all that needed to be said to effectively countermand the entire thread. It boggles my mind when people freak out over evil being portrayed as evil, sick being portrayed as sick, depraved being portrayed as depraved, etc. My mom use to to draw on similar arguments when I was a kid. "I don't want you watching this show because it has X type of character and X is evil!" And I'd get in trouble for "back talk" for responding with "No duh, that's why that character is the VILLAIN." As long as they aren't making heroes out of creepers I don't see how anyone can make the argument that it's "glorifying" or "promoting" or even "excusing" that kind of behavior.

This is really making me wish there wasn't an event going on so I could dive right into the story and see what all the dang fuss is about. I mean come on, where was all this outrage over the creepy ,cannibalistic, sadistic, sociopathic "children" a.k.a. the Gemini twins? no feigned virtue signalling over portraying "innocent" children as embodiments of pure evil and heartless cruelty? Seems like a missed opportunity to really Karen it up.

alt text

Well, I finally saw all of NA Ep4, and yes, while I stick by what I said before about how the characters acted, I didn't really see anything "disgusting" about it. Yes, the Kor whatever girl fangirls on the shota kid for a whole 4 minutes, but it isn't even romantically. It's just that whole Kawaii thing I've seen so many times before in anime and such, where girls see something cute and just want to hug it and pet it and feed it candy. It's actually funny if presented the right way. The main girl for the episode, Hitsugi whatever, gave me a LOT of Emilia vibes, but she's not as annoying and doesn't die on the field every 5 seconds, and that's good, I guess.

As I moved on in the story, I saw a bit more sense out of it, and a plot at least decently laid out. Again, character acting and many speech lines made little sense or were right out cringy. But there's some plot here that while it's hardly a Oscar winning script, it's not as horrendous either. I've seen much worse in my years.

The bath scene was not here in this version, yes, but I saw it on YT and it's ultra tame. Nobody loses their bath towels, not even when INSIDE the water. And all they are doing is chatting and bathing..... covered in towels, and not doing any lewd stuff at all. As a relation, there's this Bandai Namco game called Code Vein. They have a bath place you can go in, and just like this PSO2 deleted scene, everyone in there has their towels on. And it was released on the NA version without any problems at all.

So yeah, in short, EP4 is not lewd. Not one bit from what I saw. There's a decent plot but it's constantly marred by some out placed dialogue. But nothing we as players haven't seen from bad plots in games before. At least this is my more complete view and opinion on this episode.

@Wolf-Moonstar said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

...I really gotta start playing E4...this thread has peaked my cultural curiosity.

One scene in JP where the 10 year old boy is laying on a bed naked faced away from the camera, he has been covered up by basewear in NA.

A bath scene that ultimately culminates in said non-acclimated 10 year old boy accidentally groping the two girls trying to clean him up has been removed.

These are the only changes.

@MisterJaySnek I see. Thanks for stating the actual changes.

Yeah, I looked up the bath scene on Youtube as well, and I don't really see that much of an issue with it either. It's pretty standard anime comedy. The bath towels stay on and it is more like a little kid getting washed by two older sisters, hell he refers to one of them as an older sister.

Honestly, when you really think about it, the person whom he refers to as an older sister is more like his mother considering how she created him as her PSO2 avatar.

@Ki-Rin said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

fake? story about teen girls creaming over a boy half their age? Just what I wanted in a PSO game!

This is how I know you didn't play EP4. It was only one girl creaming over Al, and even then she has an unhealthy obsession with Al and Hitsugi in general. The story is bad because there's plenty of stuff that makes no sense with how Earth interacts with ARKS. If that universe is a game that came bundled in with the ESC-A OS that connects to Oracle, won't it just lead into an existential crisis for those in ARKS' universe? What about the operatives who finds out about the Mother Cluster members who can warp into Oracle and regular players? What about collabs and whatnot, how did these companies get all that stuff into ARKS, especially companies like 7-Eleven and Lawson? I know about Mother and spoilers about her, but it feels super strange seeing players and people injecting themselves into another universe like this advertised as a video game.

@Hakase said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

If that universe is a game that came bundled in with the ESC-A OS that connects to Oracle, won't it just lead into an existential crisis for those in ARKS' universe? What about the operatives who finds out about the Mother Cluster members who can warp into Oracle and regular players? What about collabs and whatnot, how did these companies get all that stuff into ARKS, especially companies like 7-Eleven and Lawson? I know about Mother and spoilers about her, but it feels super strange seeing players and people injecting themselves into another universe like this advertised as a video game.

I don't think it lead to an existential crisis as it was more likely seen as the game being a way to remotely control a body, essentially just an interface. I don't really see an issue with this explanation. The collabs are harder to explain, though given how much control the Mother Cluster has over the world, they probably could make any kind of deal they wanted. Another possibility is that the collabs are just not canon.

Rather than seeing PSO2 in EP4 as a game, I just see it as an interface for remotely controlling an avatar body and if someone has enough aether affinity, it can act as a gateway into Oracle.

Honestly, my biggest question is: What was PSO1 in that universe?

pedophilia is real, that's why, cartoon villains are not. how did you miss that in your desperation?

The answer is simple: you don't need to expose yourself to it, and it will turn what you were as a child into what you are now. you don't need media to live, you can go your whole life without exposing yourself to any bad or evil media. you are basically extolling the effectiveness of poison, ignoring what your mother was trying to tell you: poison is poison.

you cannot give what you do not have though, zaffy, so you will seemingly miss the point. The point is still there.

@Viola-Lance said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

alt text

No, just you.

@Brave said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

pedophilia is real, that's why, cartoon villains are not. how did you miss that in your desperation?

Do you know what's not real?

The game and every thing in it. 😮

@Z0DIAK-BRAVE said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

@Brave said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

Do you know what's not real?

The game and every thing in it. 😮

the game is a depiction made be real people who live in the real world, kind of like a drawing or a story or a movie. like @zaffy2005 is unaware media isn't food or life-giving, you don't seem to be aware that media (all of it) is made by humans with intent and agendas. you cannot live off of pso2 any more than your implication that you think pso2 popped out of nothingness.

I can't tell you what was going through the mind of the staff at sega when making scenes like that, though it seems there is a full-court-press worldwide to "normalize" that.

I can however tell you what is going through your mind while defending it, and I think any sane person can.

@Hakase said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

@Ki-Rin said in Episode 4 story is disgusting:

fake? story about teen girls creaming over a boy half their age? Just what I wanted in a PSO game!

This is how I know you didn't play EP4. It was only one girl creaming over Al, and even then she has an unhealthy obsession with Al and Hitsugi in general. The story is bad because there's plenty of stuff that makes no sense with how Earth interacts with ARKS. If that universe is a game that came bundled in with the ESC-A OS that connects to Oracle, won't it just lead into an existential crisis for those in ARKS' universe? What about the operatives who finds out about the Mother Cluster members who can warp into Oracle and regular players? What about collabs and whatnot, how did these companies get all that stuff into ARKS, especially companies like 7-Eleven and Lawson? I know about Mother and spoilers about her, but it feels super strange seeing players and people injecting themselves into another universe like this advertised as a video game.

From what I understood of the whole Earthlings getting into the Arks-verse thing, Spoiler alerts*

The Mother Group or whatever they are called discovered they could link up with Arks, and instead of just tellin Earth governments they found that link, they made it all look like a game in something perhaps similar to how SAO works. But Arks were indeed not NPCs as most players think. They and their whole universe are actually real and the whole thing wasn't a game, but a tool for Mother to collect info on Arks to plan whatever they wanted to do. The "avatars" could be seen as constructs so well made that they fooled most Arks into thinking they were real people and not someone logging from a different dimension. The Earth Guide organization also knows of the Arks and that they are not NPCs in a game as well, and it is why they spent years contacting and working together. AT LEAST that's part of what I understood here.