Tedious nature of how to link your MS's Store's account to Steam: Very counter-intuitive...

I have just read their announcement regarding how to Link your MS account to your steam account...This is bull*hit right here. 1st you need to download the MS version again to get a Link Code. Then install Steam's version to input the Link code gotten from MS's store's version. Overall you need like 160 GB worth of space to do this since the code only lasts for 15 minutes... The whole point of me moving to Steam was that I can't get the MS's store to work after an update. Now you are telling me that I have to redownload it to just get a Link code to move to steam and maybe waste another 50-80 GB of space since it's hard to uninstall it once again???

Don't suppose you have it installed on a second system already? Should be able to get the link code on that one to input into Steam.

@Frathlir That's the thing, I had it installed but when the game got updated and it stopped working, I quit...I tried uninstalling the game but it ate up like 50GB of space that now seems unrecoverable. I will have to reinstall it again and hope it doesn't eat more space while installing the 80 GB version on steam as well...

Yeah, that sounds like the issue I am having on the second system, the whole game won't open any more. I've been working on getting it running again, but figured 'screw it, I'll just access the account on my laptop to get the link code for my son's steam'

Not everyone has that option readily available. Have you tried to take ownership of the windowsapp fold er and give yourself full control permissions? It's a chore, but that's how I fixed it the first time. MInd you, this only works if the game didn't just up and delete itself on you.

@StellarXWings Yea that 50GB is probably the mutablebackups folder, need to go in your WindowsApps folder to remove it but need to set permissions or use other programs to get in there

@Frathlir Yeah it did kinda delete itself...The window's shortcut pretty much disappeared back then. When I when to the MS Store it was asking me to install it again. When I searched it up in my start menu it popped up and I was able to run it for a few seconds but an error message pooed up. So I tried to force uninstalling and now we are here...

@HarmlessSyan Yeah tried to delete that but as you said, I was running into a permission error... I will have to look it up.

I gave myself permissions, taken ownership and still won't let me delete anything in there. My MutableBackup is about 215GB now. I made an UBUNTU bootable USB and I'm just going over MS's head with this and removing the backups ha.

@Frathlir Have you tried using 7zip run as Administrator? Apparently that is supposed to let you delete the MutableBackup without needing to change permissions and such.

Yup, 7zip was what I used to delete 2 copies of the PSO2 mutable backups

@AndrlCh said in Tedious nature of how to link your MS's Store's account to Steam: Very counter-intuitive...:

@Frathlir Have you tried using 7zip run as Administrator? Apparently that is supposed to let you delete the MutableBackup without needing to change permissions and such.

And if 7-zip sends out errors saying that it couldn't find the files/folders, just ignore them. (Usually means 7-zip deleted them too fast for 7-zip to realize they were gone.)

that's what's worrying me aswell. some of my friends gave up with the game after several issues and they're (and i'll say this in a nice way now) never gonna touch this piece of garbage store again.

now, telling them to get back means they actually need to download it again (using the tweaker or not is not the issue here) will not sit well with them, and unless they're ready to start over again from scratch, i'm not counting on them to actually go through this hurdle.

linking accounts shouldn't require you to log into a game.it really shouldn't.

@AndrlCh said in Tedious nature of how to link your MS's Store's account to Steam: Very counter-intuitive...:

I haven't even considered that method! I'll try that one before booting up UBUNTU. I use UBUNTU all the time at work to get around MS and apple security for data transfers or get into folders I shouldn't be permitted. 7zip sounds like it would go a bit quicker! Thanks for that heads up!

@ShAdOnIc said in Tedious nature of how to link your MS's Store's account to Steam: Very counter-intuitive...:

that's what's worrying me aswell. some of my friends gave up with the game after several issues and they're (and i'll say this in a nice way now) are never gonna touch this piece of garbage store again.

now, telling them to get back means they actually need to download it again (using the tweaker or not is not the issue here) will not sit well with them, and unless they're ready to start over again from scratch, i'm not counting on them to actually go through this hurdle.

linking accounts shouldn't require you to log into a game.it really shouldn't.

What I'd recommend everyone do...

1. Install the game via Microsoft Store. DO NOT Launch the game at all, not even to patch. Just let the tile sit there, taunting you.
  2. Install the steam version, let it patch, but DO NOT click "Start Game." (If you do by mistake, close the client immediately with ALT+F4 or right-clicking the taskbar tile/panel/icon for the game, don't press anything.)
  3. Once both versions are available, START the MS Store version and patch it, login, issue the code. Close the MS Store version.
  4. Open the steam version and input the code as explained by the announcement.

@Frathlir You have to make sure you apply the changes to the subfolders and files.

Also, doesn't tweaker's powershell script also gets rid of it? Some of my friends told me their lost space was reclaimed after running the script.