PSO2 broken it self again guess I'm done with the game until the 5th.

Trying to launch PSO2 and once again all the permission for the game and files have changed and locked me out. Not going to bother fixing this again for 10th time since steam coming out in few days. But seriously if this issue keeps happening even after the steam release I'm quiting this game I'm tired of this happening it a joke that it been over 3 months now and microsoft has done nothing to fix this issue. Absolutely nothing they've just given up and are now hoping steam can handle releasing the game better than they have.

@SonoVulpin I'm having more problems than usual lately. When Windows updates, chances are the game will nuke itself or at a minimum require a few machine restarts for it to work. I'm country locked from the Steam version so if that version is stable but the MS store version becomes even more unstable, I'll be also leaving for good. Then again, I think my run on this game is about to hit a pause regardless. I don't need to play EP4 nor NG nor anything on day one, and if I get really bored, I won't need to play those at all.

If the speculation about the code generation / input is true, you'll need that windows installation anyway so that you can link it to your steam install, unless you wanna start all over again.

Ya I gave up on the PSO2 MS store version. It's just so damn buggy.

Did any of you guys use the tweaker?

I can see it now, people blaming Microsoft for SEGA's launcher on Steam just cause.

Even if you use the Tweaker to install it you still need to make sure you turn off automatic updates on both the Microsoft Store and your Windows Updater. Until things on the SEGA side are fixed it is gonna get nuked anytime there is a significant system change.

Hopefully they are applying the fixes with the newer platform and audience, else the ratings are gonna tank some more.

@Zizel said in PSO2 broken it self again guess I'm done with the game until the 5th.:

It helps, but doesn't solve the update issue that deletes the game from the PC while keeping the 100GB files in it. Many people suffered from this which is why it fell off SOOOOOOOO hard after only one month after release.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in PSO2 broken it self again guess I'm done with the game until the 5th.:

I can see it now, people blaming Microsoft for SEGA's launcher on Steam just cause.

Even if you use the Tweaker to install it you still need to make sure you turn off automatic updates on both the Microsoft Store and your Windows Updater. Until things on the SEGA side are fixed it is gonna get nuked anytime there is a significant system change.

Hopefully they are applying the fixes with the newer platform and audience, else the ratings are gonna tank some more.

MS store would say I had the game installed, but then I couldn't play it. Tried to locate the file to access it, but then to be stopped saying "Not authorized" due to MS store files. Tried play game from MS store and it wouldn't launch. Game was literally inaccessible.

It really is the MS store causing issues. This isn't the only game that has had issues with it either. Been an ongoing problem with plenty of MS programs SPECIFICALLY from the MS store. Great example is Gears 5 where it works just fine on steam yet so damn buggy on the MS store. Few of my friends had to redownload it 3 times from that damn store.

It ain't good.

@GamerKillance If they had to re-download it, it was because that is their go-to solution. The problem Gears 5 had (and many other MS store games had) was related to the MS sign-in system preventing games from being able to launch due to something, somewhere being logged in with another MS account of some type. It is an issue that still exists with some programs, but that issue has never led to a game wiping itself, cloning itself, and getting locked as an inaccessible container because the owner didn't exist anymore.

Those behaviors are a result of the program's designer, not the operating system that allows it to run.

@GamerKillance said in PSO2 broken it self again guess I'm done with the game until the 5th.:

@Zizel said in PSO2 broken it self again guess I'm done with the game until the 5th.:

It helps, but doesn't solve the update issue that deletes the game from the PC while keeping the 100GB files in it. Many people suffered from this which is why it fell off SOOOOOOOO hard after only one month after release.

How did you use tweaker. Did you apply it after doing the initial download with the store? Did you install it to where the store would install it? If yes to any of these, then that is your issue.

A proper tweaker installation shouldn't let the store nuke your game. A lot of times, I noticed people having issue because they did the initial 10 gb install with the store and then finished with tweaker, which causes issues.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in PSO2 broken it self again guess I'm done with the game until the 5th.:

The issues seem to be the interactions with the store and the game's launcher. Fixing it would require the store to do all of the patching and management and setting that up would require a lot of assistance with Microsoft and I doubt Sega can touch how the store works. The store is what is moving the game to a hidden folder because it does not like having a game launcher update and patch a game.

If the Steam version is completely separated from the store, it shouldn't wipe itself from people's computer. It doesn't really wipe itself from people's computers to begin with but is rather moved to a folder that people do not have permission to access by default.

@GamerKillance If they had to re-download it, it was because that is their go-to solution. The problem Gears 5 had (and many other MS store games had) was related to the MS sign-in system preventing games from being able to launch due to something, somewhere being logged in with another MS account of some type. It is an issue that still exists with some programs, but that issue has never led to a game wiping itself, cloning itself, and getting locked as an inaccessible container because the owner didn't exist anymore.

Those behaviors are a result of the program's designer, not the operating system that allows it to run.

So can we be in agreement that it was badly put out on both sides for launcher and store?

Who knows the Episode 4 patch might fix the issues.

@GamerKillance yes, they both have their faults for sure. There is supposed to be a process to prevent distributing an erroneous executable, but I guess they veto'd it so they could try to pull in other big clients. What pisses me off is MS published an add-on for their tool to help developers fix this issue the day PSO2 launched but isn't going to help them use it I guess?

EDIT: Actually there was an update to Windows 1906 that may have contributed to it breaking every update due to how it is designed to install, I believe the method of virtualization changed which makes the registry get corrupted much easier. That was one of MS' fixes to "make things safer" while also messing stuff up.

@Archetype-Luna || The store is what is moving the game to a hidden folder because it does not like having a game launcher update and patch a game.

This feature isn't allowed by default through programs made for the Microsoft Store. They made an alternative to the UWP that allows "third party" executable launchers/patchers a couple of years ago to attract more developers. The process requires developers to follow very specific rules (like installing their game in a modifiable container) because the WindowsApp folder is designed to be strictly locked down. This is a long winded way of saying that the MSIX package does allow a third-party software to handle installation and patching of the game, but if it was not structured correctly (to include file pathing) it would become isolated and lose the ability to even access it's own files.

MS only controls/owns the 11 GB MSIX package. Everything after it moves from that package to a container is SEGA's launcher, to include the duplication/deletion.

@Archetype-Luna The tweeker helps but unless you use powershell to change your OS to allow tweaker to completely bypass the MS store the game will still brake on you and require a full uninstall and reinstall. An I'm not to keen on having to mess with my OS core settings to get a game to work as it should.

This whole MS store disaster is essentially killing the game's pop right now and has been since day one of launch on PC. No one wants to keep uninstalling and reinstalling the same 60 GB game 2-3 times a month because the designer of this software to lazy to fix their broken shit. Especially when it a nightmare just to uninstall the game in the first place due to how it brakes it self.

@John-Paul-RAGE can't really blame SEGA for this they made the launcher years ago and microsoft knows this. They should of known when they got the contract to host the game's servers through xbox live that the game's launcher wouldn't work properly through the MS store yet they released it through the MS store most likely knowing it was going to fail and these issues would occur repetitively over and over again. So really asking SEGA to rework their whole launcher and how it patches the game just to accommodate the morons that paid them to host their game in NA is most likely at the button of SEGA's to do list.

@SonoVulpin You are asking that a global distribution system for Government agencies, major enterprises, and education facilities all of the world make an adjustment to their distribution components to accommodate developers of a 8 year old game just because they can't be bothered to learn how to fix their mistakes? And you actually are OK with SEGA not fixing their stuff...? Well, if you are OK with SEGA being lazy, then you should go into the Steam expecting SEGA to have taken a lazy approach and expects the distribution platform to make their game work rather than the publisher.

That is an insane level of fanaticism that is literally dangerous.

@John-Paul-RAGE I'm telling you it Microsft fault. Microsoft paid SEGA to host the game in NA Microsoft is responsible for how it should be disturbed and Microsoft was fully aware the launcher wouldn't work through the their store yet Microsoft didn't care Microsoft lazily released the game through their platform knowing it wasn't compatible with zero care for user's interested in the game. SEGA had zero interest in even releasing PSO2 into NA market if it wasn't for Microsoft paying them a massive sum of money and offering to handle the servers and distributions than PSO2 would still be a JP exclusive title. So no SEGA doesn't need to accommodate the morons that gave them money to do something they had zero interest in doing. This all Micosoft fault for not redesigning the MS store or develop a new system in order to release a stable PSO2 launcher for NA users. Because after all Microsoft promised SEGA that they'd handle importing the game and distributing the game to the NA market SEGA can't be held responsible for Microsoft's promises and mistakes. An if you think it wasn't microsoft fault why is it the deal between steam launching PSO2 was handled completely through microsoft and steam and only given the ok by SEGA?