Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!

I don't think you'll have to install it twice, it's just account linking. From what I'm reading it's like linking a game account to your Twitch for Twitch rewards. Just once you link you can't undo, no biggie. It also states that if you do link accounts you'll be able to launch through either platform and it will still be the same account. You just have to login through the windows/tweaker version first before linking/logging in to steam or it won't actually link the accounts and you'll be stuck with 2 separate accounts. For those still having problems with the windows launch, linking the accounts then using Steam to launch may fix the problem, though if it does wipe it like it has been still, then possibly the Steam install will fix that. Remains to be seen, but that's how I'm interpreting it based on its wording.

@BiBiOokami Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, no, you need it installed twice on the same machine or have two separate machines with two separate installs because of the 15 minute time limit; there's no way you're logging into MS Store version, get the code, uninstall, then reinstall on steam and input the code all within 15 minutes. The actual process is really simple, get the code from one version and input it into the other after boot up. The problem is how they implemented the process. The other issue is that people who can't log into the MS store version will either have to rely on the tweaker to get the code in the first place or are flat out SOL.

@BiBiOokami said in Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!:

I don't think you'll have to install it twice, it's just account linking.

You don't explicitly need two simultaneous installs, but the code is generated inside of the MS Store version of the game, and input in the Steam version of the game, within 15 minutes. Unless you're capable of uninstalling the MS Store version + installing the Steam version within 15 minutes, that means you'll have to have multiple installs in order to generate + use the code within 15 minutes. You can get rid of the extra install after the linking happens, but to do the actual link you need simultaneous installs (or tweaker magic, if that works).

It'd be different if the codes could be generated + used outside of the game installs, like on a website, but sadly it isn't.

Two version are definitely required, unless you use the Tweaker. The Weaker is suppoed to allow you to switch the MS Store files to the Steam version location for use there quickly to allow it to be done with one install, but if you don't use the Tweaker, you have to use double the storage space, since you would need to log-in to the MS Store version to get the code (it has to be fully updated) and then input the code in the Steam version (which also needs fully updated) It is impossible to just do something like this:

1. Install on Windows Store
  2. Update the client to latest version
  3. Launch client and issue 15 minute time limit code
  4. Uninstall MS Store version
  5. Install PSO2 on Steam
  6. Patch the client to latest version
  7. Login
  8. Time is up and code can't be entered and must start back at Step 1.

The reason for this is, the client will have a 60+GB patch to download from SEGA, rather than MS Store or Steam. If you have the proper permissions, though, you should theoretically be able to download the Steam version client and just not update it. Then, after completing Step 3 above, close the MS Store version, go to where the game files are and move them to the Steam folder (not copy, it has to be moved or cut and pasted), then run the Steam version and have it check the files and replace the altered config files, log in and enter the code. Depending on if the hard drive is SSD or not, it might be able to move all the files and check them all fast enough to where you can still enter the code within 15 minutes. However, as stated, the only way to guarantee to have enough time to enter the transfer code is two have double the space to have both installed at once. This is easier if you have two hard drives, though, and use Steam on the second hard drive and the MS Store version on the main hard drive.

Hrm, pretty sure there will be a way to do so without a double install, I'll try tomorrow and if find a way (without using tweaker) will post a reply on how. Because this seems similar to when had to link Blizzard account to Steam/Bungie for Destiny 2 when they pulled it from the Blizzard launcher. I could be wrong and it could be vastly different, but like said, I'll see what I can figure out and let y'all know if figured out a way or not, as I'll be up as soon as servers come up (I'm a nightowl so I'll be up all night anyways and will be on if servers come up early as well)

@Aida-Enna Thank you again for clarification! And I cannot wait to see everyone in game again and jump right into Chapter 4!!! Stay Safe Opeatives!

What an asinine way to handle the switch. smh.

I love this game but why they couldn't have just used the link system like destiny 2 had i don't know. Could have just logged in here using whatever and then linked with steam login.

Unfortunately it means i have to attempt yet another install of the MSstore version of this game, and hope it survives long enough to get the steam version installed too.

What bright-spark thought of doing it this way? Hell, couldn't they have used their own launcher even?

Honestly I'm fine with the method itself. It's the "if you mess up you're out of luck forever" aspect to it that's dumb as heck.

I hope the steam download includes the full game files, preferably compressed and not just the 11gb starter pack. The sega (and even tweaker version) takes too long.

@NerevarBrand said in Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!:

I hope the steam download includes the full game files, preferably compressed and not just the 11gb starter pack. The sega (and even tweaker version) takes too long.

Same here, I wanna get the heavy lifting done tonight.

@Ragnawind said in Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!:

Two version are definitely required, unless you use the Tweaker. The Weaker is suppoed to allow you to switch the MS Store files to the Steam version location for use there quickly to allow it to be done with one install, but if you don't use the Tweaker, you have to use double the storage space, since you would need to log-in to the MS Store version to get the code (it has to be fully updated) and then input the code in the Steam version (which also needs fully updated) It is impossible to just do something like this:

1. Install on Windows Store
  2. Update the client to latest version
  3. Launch client and issue 15 minute time limit code
  4. Uninstall MS Store version
  5. Install PSO2 on Steam
  6. Patch the client to latest version
  7. Login
  8. Time is up and code can't be entered and must start back at Step 1.

The reason for this is, the client will have a 60+GB patch to download from SEGA, rather than MS Store or Steam. If you have the proper permissions, though, you should theoretically be able to download the Steam version client and just not update it. Then, after completing Step 3 above, close the MS Store version, go to where the game files are and move them to the Steam folder (not copy, it has to be moved or cut and pasted), then run the Steam version and have it check the files and replace the altered config files, log in and enter the code. Depending on if the hard drive is SSD or not, it might be able to move all the files and check them all fast enough to where you can still enter the code within 15 minutes. However, as stated, the only way to guarantee to have enough time to enter the transfer code is two have double the space to have both installed at once. This is easier if you have two hard drives, though, and use Steam on the second hard drive and the MS Store version on the main hard drive.

how can i download 70GB in 15 minutes... you can call me a third world scum if you want but not everyone got insane internet speed

You can't, it took me like 45 minutes and I have good speed.

sigh First of all, linking accounts should be done in your account settings on the website or through an app or on the console. I wish they had announced this days ago because I already uninstalled the game. I am not going to reinstall it to do an account link through the game. Looks like Sega lost another player lol. It is too painful to install/uninstall the game.

I was able to transfer my Destiny 2 license from Blizzard over to Steam through their own app which opened their website that allowed me to transfer my license; easy and done. Why can't Sega be smart about things like this?