Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!

I heard this is a one time thing you don't want to mess up. So due to that, I feel this topic should be pinned.

I wanted to wait for confirmation before posting and now that the code transfer is confirmed, I want to say that Sega is out of their god damn minds. Not only is having two of the same programs installed a waste of space and a set of registry nightmare along with the crappy 15 minute time limit to transfer, but the fact that people who made decent progress on the MS store version and can no longer get back in is effectively locked out and must either try to fix this garbage or start over on steam.

I got two friends, one who barely made any progress but still went about a decent amount before his install crapped out a week in, and another whose install crapped out little less than a month ago. First one tried to fix this trash with the tweaker and was blocked on every opportunity to get it working; maybe it's the tweaker, maybe it's Microsoft, but we'll never find out because no game is worth wasting 10+ hours to get it working. I even pleaded with him to try again when the steam version is released, and after realizing it's the crappy FGO-style code transfer he immediately refused to do anything with it.

The second friend really only cared about the story, and would've stuck with us if the steam transfer didn't require accessing the MS copy; now he won't even bother because last time he tried reinstalling from a clean state it still did not work, probably could work with a tweaker but he doesn't really care enough about PSO2 in general to do so. Could they have gone to the tweaker discord and asked for help? Absolutely, but no game should require external assistance just to get it up and running in this day of age.

You know what else came out alongside PSO2 and is working perfectly fine today? Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Warframe, and last I checked they haven't had any major launcher issues comparable to PSO2. Sure they got bugs that can hamper player experience, but at least their games actually run and don't delete themselves.I honestly can't think of a more incompetent company than Sega, this whole ordeal makes Ubisoft Massive look like a godsend. I really hope that there will be an alternate method to get that transfer code but chances seem highly unlikely because of how it's built-in, so gg Sega, you win at driving customers away from your flagship MMO. Really losing any motivation to get excited anymore.

EDIT: Just to add that I'm not blaming the tweaker for wrongdoings or misdeeds, this is all on Sega (and MS).

I have a massive question concerning this as I'm in an awkward position tech wise. My GPU bit the dust as its been so hot inside my house the heat sink and fans couldnt keep it from over heating and frying. Having a prebuilt rig that has specific parts I cant really upgrade it as I intend to. So. As a result I'm building a new machine. I was wanting to just use Steam. BUT it appears even if I install the tweaker I may not be able to recover my saves, much less link it to my Steam account? Lord knows I hope I'm wrong. Any and all suggestions/help etc is welcome as I would like to maintain my character and items that I've spent time and money on.

I just hope that all ships will work for all regions because otherwise I will be locked on a NA account while being in EU and thus not be able to buy any AC (like now)

@LoneXander said in Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!:

I have a massive question concerning this as I'm in an awkward position tech wise. My GPU bit the dust as its been so hot inside my house the heat sink and fans couldnt keep it from over heating and frying. Having a prebuilt rig that has specific parts I cant really upgrade it as I intend to. So. As a result I'm building a new machine. I was wanting to just use Steam. BUT it appears even if I install the tweaker I may not be able to recover my saves, much less link it to my Steam account? Lord knows I hope I'm wrong. Any and all suggestions/help etc is welcome as I would like to maintain my character and items that I've spent time and money on.

Items are saved server-side, so just install the Windows version via Tweaker when you're able, get the code, then put it into the steam version to set up your save data on the steam version.

@Aida-Enna Thank you for the response. I was just a tad worried seeing as in the article concerning this that I read stated

"ATTENTION: Do not start Phantasy Star Online 2 on a new platform until you fully understand this account-linking process. Creating a character/setting up a Player ID on a new platform is irreversible and you will not be able to link your account after the fact."

But, just to make sure I've understood it. I would use the tweaker, log into the windows version as I used to in the past. And proceed with the directions given( launch second pso via steam/tweaker steam.) Grab the code from the original and put it into the steam version

@Aida-Enna Thank you for the response. I was just a tad worried seeing as in the article concerning this that I read stated

"ATTENTION: Do not start Phantasy Star Online 2 on a new platform until you fully understand this account-linking process. Creating a character/setting up a Player ID on a new platform is irreversible and you will not be able to link your account after the fact."

But, just to make sure I've understood it. I would use the tweaker, log into the windows version as I used to in the past. And proceed with the directions given( launch second pso via steam/tweaker steam.) Grab the code from the original and put it into the steam version

Correct! The warning means that if you log into the steam version and make a new account without linking the old one first, that steam account will forever be a new one and your progess won't carry over.

ATTENTION: Do not start Phantasy Star Online 2 on a new platform until you fully understand this account-linking process. Creating a character/setting up a Player ID on a new platform is irreversible and you will not be able to link your account after the fact.

Remember this people ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My only concern is just having 15 minutes. I'm not even sure I have enough space to install the game twice (and am worried that in itself could cause issues).

@Princesse-Jen said in Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!:

My only concern is just having 15 minutes. I'm not even sure I have enough space to install the game twice (and am worried that in itself could cause issues).

You'll need to use PSO2 Tweaker for NA to hotswap the platform if you don't. (If the PSO2 Tweaker information is to be believed.) Otherwise you'll have to.

@Aida-Enna said in Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!:

Correct! The warning means that if you log into the steam version and make a new account without linking the old one first, that steam account will forever be a new one and your progess won't carry over.

I hope the text box that asks if you want to link an account shows up automatically, because if you can miss it I'm likely going to. Also the guide says "create an ID/Character". Is that the same thing? That part confuses me, when is the ID for an account created, upon the first character? I wanna know what step to NOT GO PAST.

@Hatsodoom said in Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!:

@Aida-Enna said in Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!:

I hope the text box that asks if you want to link an account shows up automatically, because if you can miss it I'm likely going to. Also the guide says "create an ID/Character". Is that the same thing? That part confuses me, when is the ID for an account created, upon the first character? I wanna know what step to NOT GO PAST.

It's likely it will be on the agreement window or appear right after/before. Because the game needs an ID to show the ship selections / support menu.

Didn't it say to select a ship first though? You think it'll ask after that?

It's a weird situation because I have no idea when my player ID was even assigned to me on the MS Store version of the game. I know when I changed it after my initial character creation, but I don't remember ever actually seeing a window where it assigned me my random numbers player ID.

I do, I just don't remember when it did. But judging from the screenshot in the guide, it asks to link an account on the ship select screen, either before or after selecting a ship.