Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!

Hey everyone! There's four days left until the Steam version of PSO2NA comes out, and there's some things I think all players should be aware of. These details haven't been officially announced (maybe due to red tape or being unable to talk about it until the Steam version is live?), but they are definitely important.

--Q: How do I link my Steam account to my already-existing PSO2 Microsoft account?--

A: This is probably the most important thing in this post - You need to keep your Microsoft version of PSO2 installed if you want to link it to steam.

The steam version of PSO2 currently (in the code) requires an authorization code from whatever version of PSO2 you previously played if you want to continue progress on that account.

As in, do not delete your Windows Store/XB1 copy of PSO2 yet (or ever, if that's your thing!). The code indicates that you will need a key from a previous copy of PSO2 and have 15 minutes to enter it on the steam copy to link accounts. This is likely done instead of a login in order to prevent needing to support the Xbox Live API.

--Q: What will happen to the PSO2 Tweaker?--

A: The PSO2 Tweaker will (shortly after steam's release) support the steam and Windows Store versions of PSO2NA. It already does this in an internal build, but I need to doublecheck on how the steam store launches/handles PSO2 before I can put that part in. The Tweaker will also support "hotswapping" between the two. That means you can have one (1) PSO2 installation, and launch both the Windows Store and Steam versions from that one install, swapping as much as you want.

This will be useful for entering the code (as stated in the last question), or for switch back to the MS store if they do an exclusive-platform collab like steam is doing now.

--Q: Will the steam version use SEGA's original launcher?--

A: Yes, and all the issues that brought. The tweaker will be updated shortly after Steam release to support patching/launching the Steam version. (see above)

--Q: How can I buy AC/SG on Steam?--

A: We'll have to see exactly how the game supports Steam, but it's likely it'll be similar to the Windows Store - If you want to buy AC/SG, it would just launch steam from the game to let you do that (like it does current with the Windows Store). Then you'll pay via Steam Wallet. If you're region blocked from the Steam version, you can likely buy it from the Windows Store website or the Windows Store app itself, though we need to test this to confirm.

--Q: Can I play the Steam version outside of the supported regions?--

A: Probably. We have a few different things to test, but it's likely that you can via Tweaker. Purchasing, however, may work differently. See above.

--Q: Will the steam version work on Windows XP and up?--

We don't know for sure, but we hope so - The reason that the game was locked to Windows 10 was specifically because of Xbox Live APIs. The Japanese version has always worked on 7 and up, as has the Tweaker.

--Q: Can I use Steam streaming/Proton (Linux)/etc with PSO2?--

A: We don't know, hopefully!

--Q: Will they open ships 4 - 6?--

A: If they don't... gods be operative.

I still don't know why PSO2 Tweaker needs you to login as an admin account for the NA version (which isn't enabled by default on Windows 10, and some of the options to enable it don't work on Windows 10 Home, which I have.) (The tutorial for installing PSO2 Tweaker for NA PSO2 says to login as admin on the second page as the first step. This is a different account entirely to that of your normal user account.)

As an avid linux user for more than 4 years due to not having enough money to buy a Windows OS until around 2012... I'm always annoyed when something requires me to login as admin (aka root on linux.) Because Linux support staff for any distro will go out of their way to tell you to never, ever, ever login as admin/root.

In addition, some installers won't install programs (like games) for all users on the computer, which if your application does, makes logging in on an admin account useless if you plan to play the game on a non-admin account. Normal user accounts aren't an admin account (even though sometimes Windows says they are because they're the "Owner" of the computer), they instead require UAC (basically the Windows equivalent of sudo) to do admin actions.

Do I install PSO2 tweaker while logged in as an admin account as well? Because it doesn't look like your tutorial says to.

@coldreactive said in Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!:

I still don't know why PSO2 Tweaker needs you to login as an admin account for the NA version (which isn't enabled by default on Windows 10, and some of the options to enable it don't work on Windows 10 Home, which I have.) (The tutorial for installing PSO2 Tweaker for NA PSO2 says to login as admin on the second page as the first step. This is a different account entirely to that of your normal user account.)

As an avid linux user for more than 4 years due to not having enough money to buy a Windows OS until around 2012... I'm always annoyed when something requires me to login as admin (aka root on linux.) Because Linux support staff for any distro will go out of their way to tell you to never, ever, ever login as admin/root.

In addition, some installers won't install programs (like games) for all users on the computer, which if your application does, makes logging in on an admin account useless if you plan to play the game on a non-admin account. Normal user accounts aren't an admin account (even though sometimes Windows says they are because they're the "Owner" of the computer), they instead require UAC (basically the Windows equivalent of sudo) to do admin actions.

Do I install PSO2 tweaker while logged in as an admin account as well? Because it doesn't look like your tutorial says to.

For the powershell, it's required because the Windows Store sets up the folder as a protected one which non-administrators cannot touch.

There are also issues with permissions relating to the Windows Store itself. https://pso2.com/news/server-info/w10issuereport03

In addition, PSO2 (not the Tweaker) will hard fail if you are not logged in as an administrator account. UAC is not enough. https://www.google.com/search?q=pso2+requested+operation+requires+elevation

The Tweaker itself does not require an administrator account to run/work, it simply asks for UAC elevation.

So I can install PSO2 tweaker on this normal user (IE: all of page 1) before I have to switch to an admin account after copying the two files in.

Then after everything there is done with the two extra files, I can run PSO2 Tweaker (and launch PSO2 with it) without logging in as admin on my normal user?

So I can install PSO2 tweaker on this normal user (IE: all of page 1) before I have to switch to an admin account after copying the two files in.

Then after everything there is done with the two extra files, I can run PSO2 Tweaker (and launch PSO2 with it) without logging in as admin on my normal user?

Yes to the first part, but no to the second. PSO2 itself requires you to be logged in as an admin user in order to play it. It's pretty wild.

So even after installing PSO2 via PSO2 Tweaker, I still have to launch it (even through PSO2 Tweaker) as an admin account.

Okay, I'll just wait until steam then.

So even after installing PSO2 via PSO2 Tweaker, I still have to launch it (even through PSO2 Tweaker) as an admin account.

Steam will also require this. It's because of PSO2's anti-cheat, GameGuard.

@Aida-Enna said in Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!:

GameGuard works fine on PSO2JP (and Mabinogi) without an admin account, it just requires me to use UAC on install / boot. (IE: a UAC Dialogue pops up when I run gameguard apps.)

GameGuard works fine on PSO2JP (and Mabinogi), it just requires me to use UAC on install / boot.

Oh? It could be a different NA configuration for GameGuard (Each region has it's own configuration), or it could be just the Windows Store, then. Hopefully the latter.

Oh? It could be a different NA configuration for GameGuard (Each region has it's own configuration), or it could be just the Windows Store, then. Hopefully the latter.

PSO2NA Windows Store also requires UAC only when running the game (if installed correctly.) it just deletes itself sometimes for no reason.

My only question is where is the code needed to link the account to the steam version?

@LordHinotama said in Important PSA about linking steam accounts (and more)!:

My only question is where is the code needed to link the account to the steam version?

It will probably be in-game somewhere, likely on the SHip select / main menu somewhere, much like where you change your Player ID.

Hey all - The official steam linking information page is now live! https://pso2.com/news/announcements/steamlinkaccounts

The major thing to take away from it that I didn't mention above in my write-up is:

ATTENTION: Do not start Phantasy Star Online 2 on a new platform until you fully understand this account-linking process. Creating a character/setting up a Player ID on a new platform is irreversible and you will not be able to link your account after the fact.

To begin using your Windows Store/Xbox One account on Steam:

1) From the Support Menu within the Start Menu of the Windows 10 or Xbox One version of PSO2, select the option to issue an account-linking code. This code will expire after 15 minutes.

2) After launching PSO2 on the Steam platform, select your Ship and then enter the code from the previous step. Please be careful: you can only use this code when setting up your account on a new platform for the first time. Do not create a new character/set up a Player ID before linking your account.

3) Success! The operative can now play using the same PSO2 save data on either their Xbox Live or Steam Account ID.

I feel like the bit about making a Steam playerid/character irreversibly screwing you over needs to be announced in giant flashing letters anywhere you can log in. There is a 100% chance that a large number of people are gonna screw themselves on this unknowingly. It's gonna happen, and it's probably gonna taint the outlook of new players on steam who start a game only to hear everyone complaining about the most recent thing PSO2NA messed up.

I don't see why it has to be such an irreversible process, I could see it if it was a way to combat meseta selling, but the current account creation scheme doesn't seem to be preventing that anyway. They should just let people delete their steam account if they accidentally make one.

@Aida-Enna I love you Aida, you're the queen :3