So now that PSO2 is coming out on steam, what happens to the PSO 2 Tweaker?

The great news is that PSO2 is coming out on Steam, which means that Sega and Microsoft are finally listening to us. Although there's a lot to think about. There are a few questions that I believe should be answered before August 4, the day of release.

Will AC and SG be able to be purchased on Steam?

The Microsoft store is still working as far as the purchases of game money, yet there are still those install problems on the PC version. I'm sure that we're all pissed about how Microsoft has been handling PSO2 and those ratings on the store are well justified.

So far the tweaker has helped alleviate some of the problems that occurred on the release, but it isn't foolproof. No one wants to go through a reinstall of the game again, every time there's a Windows 10 update. I'm definitely not taking any chances of installing the game from the Microsoft Store ever again.

Before I make the decision to Move to Steam, I want to make sure that not only I don't have to reinstall the game, since I already have the files anyway. I want to make sure that the game is recognized by Steam as well.

PSO2 tweaker required a lot of faith and trust, and they have done their job well. Without them, I don't think that we would ever been able to play PSO2 here in North America.

So for those that already have the game installed, couldn't we just make Steam recognize our current installed game?

I can make it recognize the tweaker fine, but I would like to be able to start it up directly from Steam to finally free myself from the Microsoft Store once and for all.

And what about our XBox friends, will we be able to still communicate with them when we move to Steam?

I'm sure that this is the best solution to the problems that Microsoft has caused.

I would like some input on this and some suggestions.

Tweaker will still live on I suspect as long as gameguard issues and people playing on JP persist. It will just sit as a third option, and it might even work on a way to implement itself into the steam version (I know of some mod clients which do that in other steam games anyway.)

Nothing, they already said they'll simply support the Steam version.

one thing I can say for sure is that you gonna need to reinstall the game even if you move the files to the steamapps directory of PSO2 Steam probably won't recognize then or will recognize then as corrupted and will download then all over

Didn't Tweaker added like Steam mode in one of the recent Tweaker updates - before PSO2NA even announced Steam version.

Yeah, I use steam to launch it now with the -pso2 switch

@Sinventus said in So now that PSO2 is coming out on steam, what happens to the PSO 2 Tweaker?:

PSO2 tweaker required a lot of faith and trust,

Not really, I've been using it to translate the Japanese version for years.

I'll be dropping the Tweaker for the Steam version (unless they botch that too). Though I am not sure how to uninstall all the modifications the Tweaker had to do in order to get the game to work. I am weary about Tweaker and how it just hangs in the background after launching PSO2 (I manually end task it). But it is the only version that is working. The MS Store download worked until it decided to delete itself of its executables so I am not using the Store again.

Hi, Tweaker dev here! o/

@Sinventus said in So now that PSO2 is coming out on steam, what happens to the PSO 2 Tweaker?:

So far the tweaker has helped alleviate some of the problems that occurred on the release, but it isn't foolproof. No one wants to go through a reinstall of the game again, every time there's a Windows 10 update. I'm definitely not taking any chances of installing the game from the Microsoft Store ever again.

Yeah, the way this entire Microsoft Store thing was handled was pretty bad. I thought we were through the worst of it until just updating Windows would make Gaming Services support wonky.

Before I make the decision to Move to Steam, I want to make sure that not only I don't have to reinstall the game, since I already have the files anyway. I want to make sure that the game is recognized by Steam as well.

I don't know if Steam will recognize the files of your current install, but the Tweaker will absolutely support Steam (and already does, in an unreleased build!). Furthermore, you can convert a Windows Store install to a Steam install using the Tweaker, and even launch both versions side-by-side if you wanted to, with one install. Once the steam version comes out and I can test things and see how it launches the game etc, then I'll add launching the steam version to Tweaker, write up documents on how to properly link it, etc.

Also, I'm 99% sure that you'll be able to purchase AC/SG via Steam Wallet. If not, you can always purchase them online through the Microsoft website (or through the Microsoft store app itself).

PSO2 tweaker required a lot of faith and trust, and they have done their job well. Without them, I don't think that we would ever been able to play PSO2 here in North America.

Awww, thanks! We're just happy we can help!

And what about our XBox friends, will we be able to still communicate with them when we move to Steam?

Assumedly, yes. There's code in the client that indicates the Xbox Live version will support other platforms in it's friends list after Steam release, but as to whether that will actually be used or not is anyone's guess for now.

@Richardaro said in So now that PSO2 is coming out on steam, what happens to the PSO 2 Tweaker?:

I'll be dropping the Tweaker for the Steam version (unless they botch that too). Though I am not sure how to uninstall all the modifications the Tweaker had to do in order to get the game to work. I am weary about Tweaker and how it just hangs in the background after launching PSO2 (I manually end task it). But it is the only version that is working. The MS Store download worked until it decided to delete itself of its executables so I am not using the Store again.

All the modifications done by the Tweaker are uninstalled along with the game when you uninstall it from the Windows Store.

The Tweaker also had to stay open after launch in order to initially fix the lobby lag (by renaming the exe files). Once that was no longer needed, I actually released a build that didn't have it open after launch - However some Windows Store installs still required renaming the exes, so I had to put the code back in.

^The tweaker God has spoken!

Bruh why do you people ask about "what will happen to Tweaker" on a forum for a game that doesn't even run the Tweaker.

It's a fan project, if you wanted to ask you could of just joined the Discord and read the announcements.

@Aida-Enna said in So now that PSO2 is coming out on steam, what happens to the PSO 2 Tweaker?:

Assumedly, yes. There's code in the client that indicates the Xbox Live version will support other platforms in it's friends list after Steam release, but as to whether that will actually be used or not is anyone's guess for now.

@Sinventus , it was confirmed in the EPISODE 4 announcement post: https://pso2.com/news/announcements/episode4launch

New PSO2 Friend List, separate from Xbox Live Friend List

@Aida-Enna said in So now that PSO2 is coming out on steam, what happens to the PSO 2 Tweaker?:

I don't know if Steam will recognize the files of your current install, but the Tweaker will absolutely support Steam (and already does, in an unreleased build!). Furthermore, you can convert a Windows Store install to a Steam install using the Tweaker, and even launch both versions side-by-side if you wanted to, with one install. Once the steam version comes out and I can test things and see how it launches the game etc, then I'll add launching the steam version to Tweaker, write up documents on how to properly link it, etc.

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? I'm assuming you mean that if I installed the game through the Tweaker using the Windows Store button, there's going to be an option in the new Tweaker Client to take that install, and migrate it over to Steam, or does it only work if (god forbid) you installed PSO2 directly through the windows store.

@Blade-Syphon said in So now that PSO2 is coming out on steam, what happens to the PSO 2 Tweaker?:

Could you elaborate a bit more on this? I'm assuming you mean that if I installed the game through the Tweaker using the Windows Store button, there's going to be an option in the new Tweaker Client to take that install, and migrate it over to Steam, or does it only work if (god forbid) you installed PSO2 directly through the windows store.

Yup, you pretty much hit it on the nose, but it won't be a "migration" of sorts (nor really a conversion like I said, so that was bad phrasing on my part). Basically, the differences between the steam version and MS Store (either installed through MS Store or through Tweaker) versions of PSO2 aren't super vast, so the Tweaker downloads the stuff both clients need and changes your install to match each required configuration when you run it.

So for example (after you follow already written instructions to add support for steam to your current install), you can just:

alt text

to swap between versions. The only thing I have to test and figure out is how Steam launches PSO2, which I unfortunately can't do until it releases.

The most important quest remains:

Does it track hours and achievements? That's all Steam is about! Because let's be honest this has been working quite well.