NGS's Open-Field vs. Open World

@Wintermute9 I'm of the opposite opinion for both, I'm hoping that they go with the MHW route of lobby (or multiple lobbies) + large open instanced zones, and I also hope they stick to the 8 players limit for the open fields.

The 12 players limit in regular content (non-urgent quests content like expeditions, ultimate quests, challenge quests) is one of my most disliked parts of PSO2, 12 players pretty much destroy any of this kind content, making these boring for me.

Though, I would be fine with 12 or even more players either for more limited types of content (for example, urgent quests, if those return to NGS), or for content that is especially created for large groups of players (for example, if NGS were to get huge scale raids).

@Ezodagrom said in NGS's Open-Field vs. Open World:

@Wintermute9 I'm of the opposite opinion for both, I'm hoping that they go with the MHW route of lobby (or multiple lobbies) + large open instanced zones, and I also hope they stick to the 8 players limit for the open fields.

The reason why I am against this, is mainly because a format such as that works better in Monster Hunters case because its a "Monster Hunting Game" , PSO has always been more of a Dungeon Crawler.

The 12 players limit in regular content (non-urgent quests content like expeditions, ultimate quests, challenge quests) is one of my most disliked parts of PSO2, 12 players pretty much destroy any of this kind content, making these boring for me.

Honestly this is more a matter of proper tuning on the developers part, if they can properly balance a world and enemy encounter design that can facilitate a larger player count, I don't necessarily see why not, its not like multiplayer rpg's haven't done it in the past. On top of this PSO2's current zones are incredibly linear and small, so you had everyone wailing on the same mobs, if the zones are as large as they seem in trailers, this wouldn't really be an issue.

Though, I would be fine with 12 or even more players either for more limited types of content (for example, urgent quests, if those return to NGS), or for content that is especially created for large groups of players (for example, if NGS were to get huge scale raids).

I'm hoping they split the game into Open areas which facilitate larger player count and instanced "dungeon" similar to what we have now and will be restricted to smaller player counts, Destiny operates in a similar manner and think it would work better for PSO rather then going for monster hunters world design.

@Wintermute9 What do you mean about the format working better on Monster Hunter? The online phantasy star games have always been lobby + instances. Most likely NGS is gonna stay that way, but in a much larger scale, I believe. (Naturally I don't want them to do a Monster Hunter clone, the only thing I want similar to MHW is large scale maps that have actually been manually created, and not procedurally generated maps like PSO2 expeditions).

What I really hope this is not like is open areas like FFXIV separated by loading screens, the good thing about instanced zones is that as long as there's separate difficulty modes, old areas are still worth playing throughout the whole game, while in a game like FFXIV each open area becomes obsolete once the player gets past the area's level, I really hate that.

Balancing content properly though, it's pretty clear that the dev team isn't good at that at all (both PSU and PSO2 completely failed at that).

On another note, I never played Destiny and know very little about Destiny, so I don't know how it works there.

EDIT: Ah, I noticed one thing in the NGS trailers though, an objective marker with a distance on it. The marker is both in the minimap and outside. I guess it could be the quest objective that we have to reach in the large field or something? Or maybe even just extra objectives? No idea.

alt text

@Ezodagrom said in NGS's Open-Field vs. Open World:

@Wintermute9 What do you mean about the format working better on Monster Hunter? The online phantasy star games have always been lobby + instances. Most likely NGS is gonna stay that way, but in a much larger scale, I believe. (Naturally I don't want them to do a Monster Hunter clone, the only thing I want similar to MHW is large scale maps that have actually been manually created, and not procedurally generated maps like PSO2 expeditions).

What I meant by that was that games like Monster hunter, God Eater, Tokiden etc(Monster hunting games) the Zones are designed around the Monster Hunting aspect and loop of the gameplay. I. E the zones felt more like Large arenas that facilitated the Monster hunting/combat of the game, and were usually only well designed in that particular aspect, and didn't really have any interesting gameplay besides that, no NPC's, mediocre exploration, no side objectives/quest, no world events.

What I really hope this is not like is open areas like FFXIV separated by loading screens, the good thing about instanced zones is that as long as there's separate difficulty modes, old areas are still worth playing throughout the whole game, while in a game like FFXIV each open area becomes obsolete once the player gets past the area's level, I really hate that.

I don't necessarily see that as an issue if they were to go that route, they seem to still be sticking to the Online ARPG live service model of games like Destiny, Warframe, Anthem, and the division. Even if they stick to large open worlds restricted by zones they can still break it into various tiers of levels/difficulties, The Division has something similar to this called global difficulties. I think BDO which is full blown MMO is even getting something similar to this.

Balancing content properly though, it's pretty clear that the dev team isn't good at that at all (both PSU and PSO2 completely failed at that).

Lol true can't argue that..

On another note, I never played Destiny and know very little about Destiny, so I don't know how it works there.

In regards to destiny,its world design has Multiple large zones(Planets, moons) Each are pretty large and facilitate multiple NPC vendors, quest, objectives, world events/bosses(Emergency quest could take the place of this) Player count per open zone is capped at 16 and there are party restricted areas(Quest, Dungeons/strikes) that are entered seamlessly or through a menu, I am hoping this is more what they are going for.

Again, would love to see them go for Destiny method. I have really enjoyed Destiny 2, if PSO2 never was a thing in the west I would be focusing on Destiny 2.

@Ranmaru

Same, honestly I feel its world design model would be the best model for sega to follow as an evolution to what they have previously done with PSO's format.

@Wintermute9 Hmm, if they were to go with an approach kinda like that, that could end up being the Phantasy Star Universe that they couldn't realize back in 2006?

Applying that idea to the current version of PSO2, I guess it would have been something like... First having the main hub (ARKS ships) where each planet can be accessed, and when going to a planet, for example, Naverius, the players could travel seamlessly between large scale versions of all of Naverius locations, with additional small towns or hubs with vendors, quests and such?

As long as each planet is scalable through difficulty modes, I would actually like something like that.

I guess we'll see what they'll do, but better not to get hopes too high, it's still likely that it may be closer to the current PSO2 (just in a larger scale) than something more seamless. ^^;

@GM-Deynger Want you to see this feedback by the way. I hope this is the path NG is going.

I think I'd be fine with something similar to how PSO2 is now but much bigger, hope for also more "chill" areas, it starts to feel small to me after awhile.

Tood howard, youve done it again. SKYRIM:Japanese edition

i highly doubt it will be open world just instance space but with more fleshed out environments instead which i like, Were everything feels more vibrant and alive which is probably thanks to the aesthetic, speaking of which does anyone think theres gonna be live concerts in NGS?

@AzureCrownMalfest said in NGS's Open-Field vs. Open World:

i highly doubt it will be open world just instance space but with more fleshed out environments instead which i like, Were everything feels more vibrant and alive which is probably thanks to the aesthetic, speaking of which does anyone think theres gonna be live concerts in NGS?

Oh man, I was thinking about live concerts too! If so, I hope they get a lot more songs.

@Clain i do too. the 2 quna has and the persona concerts actually stick around long after the collabs end arent enough.

on youtube i was like "THIS GAME HAS A SOUNDTRACK? WITH MORE THAN 2 VOICED SONGS?"

THE PERSONA CONCERTS ARE PERMENANT. just like on JP