NGS's Open-Field vs. Open World

Hey All!

Ever since NGS's news releases etc. While I've been elated to say the least one so many aspects of it. Even the stating of the "Open-Field" environment. Which makes me cringe/worry a lil bit. Only in the sense of is this like a car maker saying "Racing Inspired" meaning its made to look/feel like it but it isn't. Or is Open-Field and Open World synonymous terms?

I would love to see if these can be more finely defined. In some cursory interwebbing I've found clear general gaming comunity consenus about "Open World" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world.

Open-Field thus far I can really only find agricultural references. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-field_system Which might be an extrapolatable idea for what NGS will be doing. Where the lobby etc. would be like the said Manor or Village in that wiki article.

I also found not so copy/pasted verbiage article in my "Open-Field" searching that perhaps analogizes it best.

https://kotaku.com/phantasy-star-online-2-new-genesis-basically-sounds-li-1844493055

Which sounds to me more open broad than say Guild Wars style instancing. But not true Open World/Single Instanced like WoW or EVE Online respectively.

And I get that there are always technical, programmatic, and/or cost issues at play.

Any which way its sliced though. Assuming the aforementioned ideas are roughly approximate/accurate. The latter, assuming one is more than the other, would be perfect! All in all either is fine. Because its more open area variety than is to be had now. Which is still pretty good/ok. Though I'm starting to recognize same terrains but with lava, snow, or erf overlayed being the only difference! 🙀 😹

Fwiw.

o/ =^.^=

I haven't had any concerns but now that I think about it, hope it isn't like Legend of Zelda: BOTW.

I wasn't entirely sure if the captions in the trailer referring to the open world stuff was loosely translated or not from "new open areas" or something like that... Interesting topic id be curious to know on as well.

(I had a theory that the English SEGA team totally hearts the rough translations as like an office inside joke though I have no idea)

Yeah, I mean for me right now I think they are two different things. If only based on the example games mentioned in the Kotaku article. And that maybe "true" Open World/Single Instanced-ness would be something for say.. ..PSO3 or some some. ¯\(ツ)

o/ =^.^=

@Redex said in NGS's Open-Field vs. Open World:

I wasn't entirely sure if the captions in the trailer referring to the open world stuff was loosely translated or not from "new open areas" or something like that... Interesting topic id be curious to know on as well.

(I had a theory that the English SEGA team totally hearts the rough translations as like an office inside joke though I have no idea)

Oh yeah! I almost wish there was a process to "review and keep" some of these "rough translations" for the pure and utter charm value alone to a/the Western Audience. I wonder if there are any in the other directions for Japanese Players of originally English read/spoken games. 😸

o/ =^.^=

The trailer showed a limit of 8 players, so instanced open fields are what I'm expecting. Personally I don't think a full massive open world with tons of players would work well in a game like PSO2 anyway.

@KnightHarb1nger

Warcraft series maybe.

They could be doing something along the line of what the game Warframe does. They have lobbies with huge open-field where players can roam that pops events. Honestly, these type of maps usually ends up pretty empty after the mass of ppl drop off.

It's just my impression, but I felt "open field" just means we can move on to the impassable areas limiting us now 😃

Also I felt the English translations were not especially "wild". I haven't done detailed comparison, but I didn't notice any apparent mistake.

@Fiona-Respha said in NGS's Open-Field vs. Open World:

It's just my impression, but I felt "open field" just means we can move on to the impassable areas limiting us now 😃

Also I felt the English translations were not especially "wild". I haven't done detailed comparison, but I didn't notice any apparent mistake.

Agreed! I feel like at worst it will be a movement/exploration improvement of that nature. 😸

o/ =^.^=

Aw man. Like wouldn't it be wild as all get out e.g. to be able to go from say the Forest to the Tundra w/o having to first go through the lobby swap/turn in quests/orders?!?! ;0 ;~)

That kind of navigational mechanic enhancement would be worth alone. 😸

o/ =^.^=

Yeah I was also wondering why they used "open field" instead of open world. When a game series goes open world the devs try to make that as apparent as possible, so with such a vague term like that I am assuming the "open field" will be something like FFXIV or Blue Protocol, large Zones connected by loading screens. Some people referenced MHW, lobby with large zones to select(I hope they don't go this route)

@Ezodagrom said in NGS's Open-Field vs. Open World:

The trailer showed a limit of 8 players

I hope that's a place holder, I wouldn't mind a bit more players per instance. Kind of bizarre to have much larger and expansive zones but decrease the player count to 8.

How about how Destiny 2 does it? They aren't full open world neither, but I like how there can be random players in the field and there is no loading screens when you are on the field.

@Wintermute9 said in NGS's Open-Field vs. Open World: ...

I hope that's a place holder, I wouldn't mind a bit more players per instance. Kind of bizarre to have much larger and expansive zones but decrease the player count to 8.

Thats definitely under the category of "Things that make you go hmm.." for me as well. I mean guess on the one hand if the content/difficulties are adjusted accordingly it can work. But in the spirit of my friends "More dice more fun." slogan for some of his guiding DM'ing and Pencil and Dice game making principles. More players more fun..?!? Ngl.. ..not a PUG person myself. But sure like knowing I have 11 other peeps with me for "the big stuff." 😺

o/ =^.^=

it might have some resemblance to blue protocol open fields..