ATTN SEGA: Cross Region Play

@Photon_Cat said in ATTN SEGA: Cross Region Play:

Sharing the same servers worldwide could be cool. Worldwide servers also has it's own set of challenges though. PSO2 is a pretty old game and has it's own established community which makes such a change even harder from both a community and tech perspective. I'm just happy that the game is officially releasing in English at this point.

SEA version was in english

@coldreactive said in ATTN SEGA: Cross Region Play:

@Rantious said in ATTN SEGA: Cross Region Play:

Are the shortcuts you're referring to customized/freely entered text? Or is it prebuilt?

They're text boxes you can freely change, and have commands put into them.

they are talking about the quick chat from PSO. where you make sentences like "i will use a monomate" and it would translate ANYTHING you were able to say using that system into local languages of other players.

@MEGAF1UX WORD SELECT:

Can you come again when you have more experience?

😁

@ErinXh said in ATTN SEGA: Cross Region Play:

@MEGAF1UX WORD SELECT:

Can you come again when you have more experience?

😁

it REALLY was a brilliant concept that should have gotten way more attention than it did. the beat time thing.. not so much (though still kind of cool given the science fiction setting of the franchise).

@GamerKillance , that wasn't an actual block though but something that happened due to the servers being DDOS'ed and SEGA's changes doing something weird with ISPs.

@CodeBreaker-V1 , the game was always planned to have separate servers. The 2013 release would have been a separate server managed by SEGA of America as that was the practice SEGA had with the franchise at the time (Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Portable 2 had their servers hosted by SEGA of America and separate from the Japanese versions, only game to be global since PSO1 was Phantasy Star Zero since that game used Nintendo's Wi-Fi Servers (hosted by GameSpy) that were cross-region to begin with).

@ThothAsher , problem is JP and NA run on completely different infrastructures; JP runs on physical servers hosted in Japan while NA runs on the MS Azure servers. Furthermore, JP uses an account system called SEGA ID which the NA version does not use. Combine all this with general incompatibilities (missing features in NA like the NetCafe features, PSO2es, etc) plus how awkward some things would be (PSO2 NA is being treated as a new game... kinda awkward to have references to older events, e.g "Why is this called the 9th anniversary if the game just came out here?", "2019 Weapon Badges? the game just came out here, I can't believe I missed this") make it somewhat difficult to have this implementation. However, let's hope that when the next game rolls around they do at least consider this, it's just too late for PSo2 specifically...

@Leonkh99 said in ATTN SEGA: Cross Region Play:

@GamerKillance , that wasn't an actual block though but something that happened due to the servers being DDOS'ed and SEGA's changes doing something weird with ISPs.

@CodeBreaker-V1 , the game was always planned to have separate servers. The 2013 release would have been a separate server managed by SEGA of America as that was the practice SEGA had with the franchise at the time (Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Portable 2 had their servers hosted by SEGA of America and separate from the Japanese versions, only game to be global since PSO1 was Phantasy Star Zero since that game used Nintendo's Wi-Fi Servers (hosted by GameSpy) that were cross-region to begin with).

@ThothAsher , problem is JP and NA run on completely different infrastructures; JP runs on physical servers hosted in Japan while NA runs on the MS Azure servers. Furthermore, JP uses an account system called SEGA ID which the NA version does not use. Combine all this with general incompatibilities (missing features in NA like the NetCafe features, PSO2es, etc) plus how awkward some things would be (PSO2 NA is being treated as a new game... kinda awkward to have references to older events, e.g "Why is this called the 9th anniversary if the game just came out here?", "2019 Weapon Badges? the game just came out here, I can't believe I missed this") make it somewhat difficult to have this implementation. However, let's hope that when the next game rolls around they do at least consider this, it's just too late for PSo2 specifically...

..i guess we just arent going to mention them nuking accounts from certain regions for speaking english huh?

@MEGAF1UX if you mean them blocking players in South East Asia, that was due to AsiaSoft requesting SEGA to now block players from SEA. Also, I don't remember any large scale nuking of accounts for speaking English, most people who had their account removed were causing actual trouble on the JP servers.

@Leonkh99 nah, it was definitely JP and they definitely banned people JUST for speaking english. as for "trouble makers" whos name i bet even mentioning gets me banned from these forums i have 0 sympathy for him and wish they would have prosecuted.

@MEGAF1UX

Oh I can assure you I know the individual you are referring to and have the good news that he had been finally prosecuted so... we won't be seeing him anytime soon on PSO2 NA. 😉

Anyways I dunno what you are talking about, past few years people have been on the JP servers just fine speaking English in the presence of Japanese players, myself included.

As for SEA not being able to play on JP, I dunno what else to tell ya if you won't believe the facts that it was AsiaSoft who requested the IP block. After all, its something that AsiaSoft had been known for and when the Taiwan version of PSO2 rolled around, Taiwan players weren't banned for JP since the publisher didn't feel the need to ask SEGA to IP block em.

@Leonkh99 could have sworn it was supposed to be a universal Server but JP players protested it..🤔 that's what I remember anyway..🤷♂️ but then again maybe it was just a rumor that PSU importers made up on PSU JP.

..i guess we just arent going to mention them nuking accounts from certain regions for speaking english huh?

Ship 2 has always been majority English speakers. I've played there since 2013 with no issue.

@Kedlin313 said in ATTN SEGA: Cross Region Play:

Ship 2 has always been majority English speakers. I've played there since 2013 with no issue.

@CodeBreaker-V1 said in ATTN SEGA: Cross Region Play:

@Leonkh99 could have sworn it was supposed to be a universal Server but JP players protested it..🤔 that's what I remember anyway..🤷♂️ but then again maybe it was just a rumor that PSU importers made up on PSU JP.

@MEGAF1UX

Oh I can assure you I know the individual you are referring to and have the good news that he had been finally prosecuted so... we won't be seeing him anytime soon on PSO2 NA. 😉

Anyways I dunno what you are talking about, past few years people have been on the JP servers just fine speaking English in the presence of Japanese players, myself included.

As for SEA not being able to play on JP, I dunno what else to tell ya if you won't believe the facts that it was AsiaSoft who requested the IP block. After all, its something that AsiaSoft had been known for and when the Taiwan version of PSO2 rolled around, Taiwan players weren't banned for JP since the publisher didn't feel the need to ask SEGA to IP block em.

the forum TOS wont allow me to "run down" sega, but it 100% did happen and a simple google search will prove that. code remembers correctly. several of my friends and my daughter all got banned (im not a chat rat so it never happened to me.. nor am i on ship 2) and none of them even know how to break the ToS aside from by speaking english. they got reported, they got investigated, they got banned all for speaking english.

almost makes it comical that all the sudden they WANT to know what we think.

From my knowledge, the IP block was really from the DDOS attacks that happened in PSO2 JP to the point that they've blocked it via region for a long time till they reopened it.

As for SEA, it's just another story of disaster. Imagine translated game in English is only given access to players within that region but not NA/EU who are English speakers themselves.

@MEGAF1UX said in ATTN SEGA: Cross Region Play:

@Kedlin313 said in ATTN SEGA: Cross Region Play:

@CodeBreaker-V1 said in ATTN SEGA: Cross Region Play:

@MEGAF1UX

the forum TOS wont allow me to "run down" sega, but it 100% did happen and a simple google search will prove that. code remembers correctly. several of my friends and my daughter all got banned (im not a chat rat so it never happened to me.. nor am i on ship 2) and none of them even know how to break the ToS aside from by speaking english. they got reported, they got investigated, they got banned all for speaking english.

almost makes it comical that all the sudden they WANT to know what we think.

We'll they want to know what we think because PSO2 JP is in it's end cycle. So what better way to keep the cash cow going then finally release it 8 years later to the west. It's a brilliant business move actually. We the fans has been asking for it for 8 years and Sega of Japan gets even more money..😂👍

It's a win win.. now I'll be angry if they announce PSO3 after the pso2 NA release..😂

It's a win win.. now I'll be angry if they announce PSO3 after the pso2 NA release..😂

Well now they have a distro for PSO2 they would likely keep them on for the next installment if they decide to make it. And we would still get 2-3 years minimum if not a more realistic 4-6 years to enjoy 2 before that happened.

We wont see 3 until at least 2024 or 2025