What was your favorite PSO1 character class, and will it effect the character you build in PSO2?

Curious to see if there's anybody else like me out there looking to recreate an approximation of their favorite character from the older games.

I'll start: My favorite was the RAcast! 🤣 😊 - I'll be making a Cast RA/HU to start because I think it'll be the closest approximation to the original class.

Oh! And a tip for people completely new to the game that came from PSO1: keep your eye out for items called "Ragol Memories" which can get you stuff from the original PSO (such as character costumes, mag evolution devices and decorations for your room)!

Always played a FOnewm and the character I made for CB is in that same vein.

I'm sure all the vets have maxed all classes but my favorites besides FOnewm were always the RAcast/RAmar and the HUcast (far third).

I'm guessing RA/HU is the closest you can get to the traditional Ranger build? How is it in terms of damage optimization and playing the class in a efficient way.

Honestly I loved all the classes and that's what drew me to the game - there felt like there were a lot of ways to play.

HUmar - okay, maybe a little bland but with the right gear you were an asset to the team.

HUnewearl - great solo class. Outshined possibly in a group setting, but good in a pinch. Just hope that if you're not soloing that your teammates aren't relying on you for resta... Once you let them die 1-2 times they get the message. (:<

HUcast - Hit stuff. Break stuff. Fun class to grab a Red Sword with hit % and then just decimate things.

HUcaseal - kind of fills a similar niche to HUney. Traps can be such great support to teammates. To me I feel like HUcassie should have been shown more love. Best attack animations though.

RAmar - To me RAmar always felt like it was in an awkward position in the ranger class. Not as good a soldier as RAmarl, not as good at supposed as RAmarl, not as much ATP as RAcast... It just kind of... Is. Most underwhelming class imo.

RAmarl - best class. Lv 20 buff/debuff, resta, access to and can utilize a ton of weapon types... Best class. A bit fragile at times, but that can be overcome by gitting gud.

RAcast - second best ranger class. The HUcast of Rangers. Hit stuff hard + Spread Needle = Rarz.

RAcaseal - kind of similar to HUcassie I'm the team support aspect. Snow Queen/Froozer + traps = happy teammates for days. Decent solo with the high DFP too.

FOmar - so versatile. Love the melee aspect/build as I think it can fit really nicely as team support or team lead.

FOmarl - copy/paste FOmar. Also best launcher animation with Inferno Bazooka.

FOnewm - probably my favorite class for the tech boosts, high MST, weapon/armor access (MG+ hel yeh). Glass cannon + Damage Canceller <: Your DMC tears bring me joy.

FOnewearl - Even more glass cannon than FOnewm. Hard to optimize, hard to fully spec with gear, hard to stay alive... I think I have the most respect for GOOD FOnewearls.

Favorite classes: RAmarl and FOnewm.

I don't think these will affect my gameplay in PSO2 because mentally I've been treating it as an independent game, but maybe subconsciously it'll have some overarching impact.

@Rantious said in What was your favorite PSO1 character class, and will it effect the character you build in PSO2?:

Honestly I loved all the classes and that's what drew me to the game - there felt like there were a lot of ways to play.

HUmar - okay, maybe a little bland but with the right gear you were an asset to the team.

HUnewearl - great solo class. Outshined possibly in a group setting, but good in a pinch. Just hope that if you're not soloing that your teammates aren't relying on you for resta... Once you let them die 1-2 times they get the message. (:<

HUcast - Hit stuff. Break stuff. Fun class to grab a Red Sword with hit % and then just decimate things.

HUcaseal - kind of fills a similar niche to HUney. Traps can be such great support to teammates. To me I feel like HUcassie should have been shown more love. Best attack animations though.

RAmar - To me RAmar always felt like it was in an awkward position in the ranger class. Not as good a soldier as RAmarl, not as good at supposed as RAmarl, not as much ATP as RAcast... It just kind of... Is. Most underwhelming class imo.

RAmarl - best class. Lv 20 buff/debuff, resta, access to and can utilize a ton of weapon types... Best class. A bit fragile at times, but that can be overcome by gitting gud.

RAcast - second best ranger class. The HUcast of Rangers. Hit stuff hard + Spread Needle = Rarz.

RAcaseal - kind of similar to HUcassie I'm the team support aspect. Snow Queen/Froozer + traps = happy teammates for days. Decent solo with the high DFP too.

FOmar - so versatile. Love the melee aspect/build as I think it can fit really nicely as team support or team lead.

FOmarl - copy/paste FOmar. Also best launcher animation with Inferno Bazooka.

FOnewm - probably my favorite class for the tech boosts, high MST, weapon/armor access (MG+ hel yeh). Glass cannon + Damage Canceller <: Your DMC tears bring me joy.

FOnewearl - Even more glass cannon than FOnewm. Hard to optimize, hard to fully spec with gear, hard to stay alive... I think I have the most respect for GOOD FOnewearls.

Favorite classes: RAmarl and FOnewm.

I don't think these will affect my gameplay in PSO2 because mentally I've been treating it as an independent game, but maybe subconsciously it'll have some overarching impact.

All that matters is I can't wait. I literally cried grown man tears when this game was announced at e3. Literally been waiting 8 years.

I've played EVERY version from PSO all the way forward. 12 yr old me making my parents get another ISP so I could play version 2 on EarthLink.

I've been chasing this "high" for so long. DCUO is the closest I've come and I put over 5k hours into that game.

I had to have a "talk" with my wife about when this game comes out. "Honey I might be distant for a bit".... She totally gets it.

Can't wait to snag some of the ragol memory stuff. Honestly if they added that stuff to the micro shop they couldn't take my money quick enough lol

Ooh, tough choice.

My highest, and thus main, character was a HUcaseal, and I enjoyed the heck out of her. Amusingly, the weapon I remember using the most was twin machine guns. I never did play PSO online though, was all solo play, and getting up to that ultra hard difficulty where the stages and enemies changed style was 'hard'! XD

Sadly, TMG will not be something I run in PSO2. My short time with the JP version didn't endear me to the Gunner at all. I may try it again at some point, but really not my style.

Looking forward to true, onilne PSO2 for the long run!

@ShadyMilkman said in What was your favorite PSO1 character class, and will it effect the character you build in PSO2?:

I had to have a "talk" with my wife about when this game comes out. "Honey I might be distant for a bit".... She totally gets it.

Igetthosefeelsman.jpg

I really liked something about each of them because of the unique and super overpowered weapons available for each one of then.

Hunter. Tsumikari J-Sword was my favorite weapon ever. Still is, even after so many MMORPGS, but I don't know if many games would intentionally put weapons that overpowered in it ever again. Too many "but balance" cry babies.

Ranger. Snow queen was a god send. It was the all-in-one MOB management package. It was also very strong. There was also METEOR SHOT. It was a cool weapon with a unique mechanic, very niche, but it was good at making people mad in the PvP mode.

Tech. This class was soooooo strong and fun. The weapons were very cool as well.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in What was your favorite PSO1 character class, and will it effect the character you build in PSO2?:

I really liked something about each of them because of the unique and super overpowered weapons available for each one of then.

Hunter. Tsumikari J-Sword was my favorite weapon ever. Still is, even after so many MMORPGS, but I don't know if many games would intentionally put weapons that overpowered in it ever again. Too many "but balance" cry babies.

Ranger. Snow queen was a god send. It was the all-in-one MOB management package. It was also very strong. There was also METEOR SHOT. It was a cool weapon with a unique mechanic, very niche, but it was good at making people mad in the PvP mode.

Tech. This class was soooooo strong and fun. The weapons were very cool as well.

The special on TJS was so rad. So sad I never farmed one ;-;

@Rantious said in What was your favorite PSO1 character class, and will it effect the character you build in PSO2?:

@John-Paul-RAGE said in What was your favorite PSO1 character class, and will it effect the character you build in PSO2?:

Remember the "time" mechanic on Heavens Punisher? That was absolutely ridiculous.

All of the unique weapons and armor truly made that game. From Chu Chu Fever to Egg Blaster. All Staples. The Opa Opa mag..... Inject it all into my veins!!!!!!

@ShadyMilkman said in What was your favorite PSO1 character class, and will it effect the character you build in PSO2?:

Remember the "time" mechanic on Heavens Punisher? That was absolutely ridiculous.

All of the unique weapons and armor truly made that game. From Chu Chu Fever to Egg Blaster. All Staples. The Opa Opa mag..... Inject it all into my veins!!!!!!

I really want to meet the CTO or whoever came up with the idea of Beat time. Like, "THIS IS GOING TO REVOLUTIONIZE THE WAY WE TELL TIME."

Congratulations, you just invented coordinated universal time, something that was widely adapted 30 years prior to beat time.

While I never played PSO and my entry into the Phantasy Star franchise was Phantasy Star Universe, I'm still going to share.

My main in PSU was a F Newman Acrotecher named Sylus who I am bringing back into PSO2. Was my most used character from my time playing PSU over 6 years as my friends always wanted a healer/buffer which no one else was willing to play at the time. Eventually I just fell in love with the character and now really focus on playing support characters.

Granted, Techter being the closest thing to Acrotecher from PSU, and while it supports, it doesn't feel as "support-y" due to the nature of PSO2 and every class being more DPS-oriented. And wand smacking wasn't a thing in PSU. But still, I am bringing her back as my fondest memory of PSU and, while I didn't have a real chance to do this during CBT, plan to spend some time in character creator making her look "older" from her PSU counterpart to "continue the story", so to speak. Just make it feel like she has grown since the older PSU days since I made her unnecessarily short and young looking back in PSU (and I don't mean that in a weird way), and I felt it right to make her look older as if she is coming into PSO2 directly years later from PSU.

Just feels right.

@Rantious I really hope TJS comes back at the end of the game, just as OP as it was before. I have faith with one of the weapons they added.

http://wiki.pioneer2.net/index.php?title=Bringer's_Rifle

I think it is one of the only "monster part" weapons in PSO2 that was in EP I & II.

But most people that had the TSJ got it from a cheater online. The drop rates for it are probably the worst I have ever seen in a video game....

Screenshot_20200223-154633_Chrome.jpg

@Rantious I really hope TJS comes back at the end of the game, just as OP as it was before. I have faith with one of the weapons they added.

http://wiki.pioneer2.net/index.php?title=Bringer's_Rifle

I think it is one of the only "monster part" weapons in PSO2 that was in EP I & II.

But most people that had the TSJ got it from a cheater online. The drop rates for it are probably the worst I have ever seen in a video game....

Screenshot_20200223-154633_Chrome.jpg

I mean, those rates are phenomenal compared to PSO v1 on DC lmfao. Drops back then were regularly abysmal like this one for p-wand: 1/1497966

And yes, Bringer's Rifle is 10/10 best rifle.

@Rantious the problem with gamecube version is only Skyly characters can get it. ;(

I've never really had interest in replicating pso1 classes in a gameplay sense in pso2 so to speak, but when they placed the Memory trade-ins I was pretty excited. I have a full set of FOmar and PS Zero's version of HUmar clothing+accessories that two of my characters wear on JP.

Although I will admit I think the class I usually enjoy playing the most might be FOnewearl back in PSO1.