Why region lock steam version?

@Josua It's not Steam that region locked it, but SEGA that has set up a list of countries where the store page is available. The store page is not available in countries that are not in that list.

@Ezodagrom You know where I can find that said list from SEGA?

@Josua https://steamdb.info/sub/352891/

Data from the Steam store page for PSO2, the data for each store page is handled by the publisher/developer.

Wow. Hong Kong (which is not even a city-state or its own country) and Singapore are included, but not my country? Bloody favoritism first waves.

It's not like you can only play on Steam right? Stay out of Steam if you are region-locked, probably.

@Rosie Thing is, Steam is ridiculously more convenient than the MS Store. Localized currency, better pings, etc.

microsoft store screws over all purchases outside of US so i was hoping steam would make it less of a chore to buy anything. not to mention there are valve rewards for ppl who play through steam.

After all this time, they region lock the Steam version. Just great.

How in the world does it make sense to let me play this game in my region with no problems through the MS Store, yet magically say the Steam version is unavailable in my region when it's on the same western server?

@Ezodagrom said in Why region lock steam version?:

@JuggernautGTX Those are 2 of the exceptions, Belgium and Netherlands have banned loot boxes, the PSO2 AC scratches count as loot boxes.

unfortunately more than those 2 EU nations are banned from the steam release.

Full list of banned European Union countries: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Malta, Romania, Slovenia Belgium & The Netherlands

While i dont know the reason for this i can tell you it most likely has nothing to do with lootboxes. As far as i know only belgium has a general ban on lootboxes from this list of countries. I am from The Netherlands and lootboxes are not banned here unlike people wrongly think. The sole exception to this is when the lootbox content are activaly being traded for real money like CS:GO for example.

If its indeed due to lootboxes than atleast The Netherlands is wrongly on that list, dunno about the other nations except belgium ofcourse.

@Ezodagrom said in Why region lock steam version?:

@Edes8931 The steam version will be linked to XBox Live accounts, so they can't support the Steam version on countries that don't support XBox Live (in other words, it's Microsoft's fault).

Well yeah, but I can easily change my MS store location, I can't easily change my steam store location.

lot of xbox games are available on steam in estonia the xbox game studios curator page aswell...

is not difficult to bypass Steam region lock in their games, of course is not so simple like changing the region of your system to MS Store but it is possible to do it

@Jamesmor said in Why region lock steam version?:

is not difficult to bypass Steam region lock in their games, of course is not so simple like changing the region of your system to MS Store but it is possible to do it

That's good and all, but they MUST have known that many of us wanted the game on Steam and yet they region lock it anyway.

Look! I live in Puerto Rico and can play via MS store pc and xbox but steam decided that we are not NA region and... Rip the rewards.