So Mags in New Genesis

@OmegaNeo8603 said in So Mags in New Genesis:

I was planning to buy mags before the NGS Announcement. Now, I'm not so sure. I guess I'll just wait for more info

If you have evolution devices to use on them that you want to use, you should go for it. If you use one on a mag you already used one on, you have to use an AC item to change it back. That might not be the case in NGS but it's too soon to tell.

@Jamesmor said in So Mags in New Genesis:

they will still use Photon Blast that is being their main function since PSO, they probably will change the way mags work because they had being pretty important

It looks to me like PBs are being replaced with class bursts based on complex PAs and compound techs. Fomelgion had a PB icon instead of a compound tech icon and there was another attack that looked like a souped up Satellite Aim that also had a PB icon.

@MagmaBlaze said in So Mags in New Genesis:

Maybe mags will be what you equip your units to. Perhaps alter how the mag will look?

Wouldn't that fundamentally alter the nature of cosmetics? RIP cosplay using units from bosses like the people who make their characters into draconians without costumes and demons.

I think this is especially noteworthy if they wind up adding unit camo.

It won't be battle related as the article already stated. That means it won't provide PB or do the stuff it currently does.

Gotta think alternatively. What support functions could haing a MAG accomplish in a "open world" type game?

(This is just to get the brain juice flowing)

• Inventory companion. (Provide additional space, auto loot stuff around the map, etc)
  • Portable class skill counter (perhaps allowing you to spend/manage skill trees without being at a world hub)
  • Something to do with fast traveling/mini games. (MAG transforms into something along the lines of riding quest vehicle, maybe some PVP racing mini games?)
  • Personal Client Order Manager (collect and turn in client orders from the field/on the fly)

Of course we don't know what yet, but it is fun to consider the possibilities.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in So Mags in New Genesis:

Something to do with fast traveling/mini games. (MAG transforms into something along the lines of riding quest vehicle, maybe some PVP racing mini games?)

Unlikely. Telepipes will most definitely still be fast travel items.

@Seedeus said in So Mags in New Genesis:

noooo oooonnnnee knooooowwwss yeeeeeetttttt 🙂

QFE

@Jamesmor said in So Mags in New Genesis:

they will still use Photon Blast that is being their main function since PSO, they probably will change the way mags work because they had being pretty important

The trailer shows the Photon Blast being some sort of laser that the player does, so unless the mag is an internal thing now, i doubt they're still linked to it.

@Ephemiel

No! Don't rob me of my hope like that... THERE'S STILL TIIIIIIIIIME! haha.

Let's just all take a second to appreciate how B.A. Mag Photon Blasts have been.

@Redex said in So Mags in New Genesis:

@Ephemiel

No! Don't rob me of my hope like that... THERE'S STILL TIIIIIIIIIME! haha.

Let's just all take a second to appreciate how B.A. Mag Photon Blasts have been.

They mentioned units are now always invisible, but i don't think they said that about Mags, so who knows. We've only seen one trailer, so we barely know anything.

@Ephemiel

You're probably not wrong in your pre-notions of the game I'm just very hesitant to cave at the idea of the Mag PB extinction.

okay so OLD pso mags had a PURPOSE. https://pso.fandom.com/wiki/Sita

not only were Mags an awesome cosmetic & took planning to raise correctly..

they ALSO were not just a PhotonBlast. Back then they had at least 4 Trigger Actions for different situations.

for FOmar's Sita Mage Full meter invulnerability Boss shifta & deband 10% HP resta 0 HP reverser

Not to mention many original Photon Blasts seem to have never made it into PSO2 such as Pilla (Sita again)

I'm personally looking for MORE Mag Features, and NOT less. This is PSO afterall.. No offense to the outlandish ideas I've been reading here, like Mag transforming into an AIS, but those sound like horrible ideas & give me the impression y'all just want the mag to not be purely cosmetic (which i understand).

I hope Sega makes PSO:NGS Mag's do whatever Mag are supposed to do in NGS.

No Sita, means i dont care about Mag Cosmetics at all. Sorry, I never played online to own a Sato/Chat mag.. & PSO2 Mag are already very weak and boring compared to Ep1&2 Mags. Removing more Mag features is just sad as even Mobile PSO clone's i've played in the past had more "Mag Features" than only being purely cosmetic.

@KYBELA said in So Mags in New Genesis:

Mobile PSO clone's

Say wut

@Mattwo7 you never heard of such a thing? Mobile (Android) is full of knockoff or "Clone Games" a clone game is often a recreation of a once/currently popular title that mostly just has a different name branding in itself. So, the clone i was referring towards, had a lot of Mechanics you'd associate with a PSO series game. Grinding weapon levels. Freeemium Gacha. F2P trading. Timed Boss/Dungeon Missions for achieving Highest Guild Score. I forget what the name of that particular one was, as i maybe shell'd out $1000+ my first 2 months, and then upon getting our Guild to #1 spot i was promptly banned for having a dispute with a larger ingame whale. (literally the reason support gave me upon ban. was that he paid more money)

@KYBELA said in So Mags in New Genesis:

you never heard of such a thing? Mobile (Android) is full of knockoff or "Clone Games" a clone game is often a recreation of a once/currently popular title that mostly just has a different name branding in itself.

Yes I know all that stuff, I just wasn't aware that knockoffs of PSO existed. Most of these knockoffs are low effort, low quality cashgrabs. A proper PSO clone would have to be on the level of something like SAO Integral Factor (which I mostly just downloaded for the Persona 5 crossover lol), which appears to be a legit MMO style game with other actual people running around and you don't have to sift through menus to get to the actual gameplay unlike most mobile games. It doesn't have a mag-like system to my knowledge.

Screenshot_20200227-233454.png

Edit: I derped on which SAO mobile game I was talking about, Memory Defrag was another SAO mobile game that did actually play like most other mobile games but also had a Persona 5 crossover at the same time

@Mattwo7 ah true. yeah i was really happy to play "some form of pso" albeit a fake... The quality was decent & i did enjoy playing it with a GF at the time. it was far from perfect, like the chance of success during weapon grind would just chill around 10% after a certain point. requiring a farm of 10 items per each try/failure. The thing i liked about it most, was that i had ALL the gacha which i actually wanted for my character. I love collecting things, Fashion being one of them.

I remember there was 2 different clones, i think owned by same company. 1 was more melee & magic based. which was what i played. the other was more guns & launchers type of weapons. but didnt seem anyone was playing the 2nd one when i gave it a shot.

But anyway, i only played these.. cause no PSO in NA at the time. (2012ish) aside for my gamecube, which the memory cards went bad also around that time-frame. No idea the overall success of the game, as i asked the Devs to kindly return my gacha to me, even if on a seperate account. they would not, so i left never to spend a cent there again.

I do hope PSO2 or NGS gets some sort of GvG feature in the future though. like defeating a small instance of mobs & boss for top speed/time. just an example since i've seen that done & PSO already has the tools to do that if Sega wanted to.

i don't remember much about its "mag" knock off, or was trying to avoid saying it lol

basically, you could equip these cosmetic floating bits, similar to armor. but if you played Ep1&2 these floating items acted like the old "Barrier" behaving as a defensive item of sorts.

They would drop (rarely) from bosses, those GvG events, and probably gacha etc. 1 may be useful for clearing a specific boss, to nullify one of its attacks or mitigate damage.

Others could be element resistance, so if you were farming in an Icy World or Volcano area, you'd likely equip to the other floating barrier thing.

To me, it was alright. but definitely not as cool as the original PSO mags.

These were mostly just used as cosmetics for fashion, as (at least while i played) the general playerbase did not have the new thing to fight the (then) current GvG boss missions. Outside this, it was just used for the niche situations i described above. Perhaps it had something like a PB, i likely just never used it as was leading a team of 4 threw GvG and pulling times like 2-4minutes (Original Average 20-40min) & wouldnt have bothered to factor anything in my run that would require waiting additional time to use.

if 4 people must each have a dedicated 1min of killing their own mobs. then goodluck getting sub 4min times basically...